Daniel Cormier wears the UFC light heavyweight title around his waist at the moment.
And despite critics claiming Jon Jones as the uncrowned champion after “Bones” was stripped, “DC” is ignoring it all.
During a recent appearance as host on “UFC Tonight,” Cormier discussed facing Jones in 2016. Earlier this year, Jones handed Cormier his lone MMA loss via decision to retain his title, but was stripped and suspended – which has since been lifted – after a legal matter in New Mexico.
“If Jones beat me in January, and he said, Daniel you have to earn your way back, I would have fought the two best guys in the division, Anthony Rumble Johnson and Alexander Gustafsson, to get back there,” he said. “And if Jones was still the champion, I would have earned that rematch. The thing is, I’m the champion now and I want fight him. I’m willing to give him a chance at the belt. It’s great for the fans and great for the organization because he’s the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet.
“We should be fighting. He beat me, too. I said from the moment we walked out of the Octagon on January 3, I’d like a rematch. Now I’m the champ and he’s the challenger. Once they lock us in the Octagon, we’ll make for some good business and good fireworks. I can’t wait to fight him again.”
Cormier confirmed during the show that he was given time off after defeating Alexander Gustafsson earlier this month, but was headed to Las Vegas to meet with UFC officials and discuss a timetable for the Jones rematch.
As for rumors of the two locking horns in New York next year, Cormier again shot them down.
“I’m not going to fight him in New York. I’m not going to give him that comfort. I want to make him face the people who are disappointed with his actions,” he said. “Obviously, fighting in Madison Square Garden would be a tremendous opportunity for everyone. But I’m the champ and I want to dictate where I want to fight. It would be huge. I’ve wrestled in Madison Square Garden. I’ve done it before. I don’t need Madison Square Garden anymore.”