Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been reinstated by the UFC, the promotion announced Friday.
Jones was suspended following a hit-and-run incident earlier this year in New Mexico. Officials stripped him of the title after the ordeal, and Daniel Cormier became the new champion with a win over Anthony Johnson.
Following a review of the plea agreement reached by Jon Jones and officials in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the judge’s decision, UFC announced today the formal reinstatement of Jones to the UFC roster. Effectively immediately, Jones is eligible to return to competition. As such, UFC expects Jones to meet all of the terms of his plea agreement, including mandatory community service, as a condition of his reinstatement.
UFC is currently discussing with Jones a potential date for his return to the Octagon.
“We’ve made it clear to Jon that this new opportunity to compete in UFC is a privilege and not a right, and that there are significant expectations we have regarding his conduct moving forward,” said UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. “We’re happy to read and see reports that he has embraced the terms of his plea agreement and is using this experience to grow and develop as a person.”
“I am thankful to be able to do what I love once again and I look forward to proving myself as a champion in and outside of the Octagon,” Jones said.
Jones (21-1) reached a plea agreement recently, clearing his way to be allowed to fight again. He was given 18 months probation and required to make 72 community appearances.
No date for a return to the Octagon was announced in the release, or who Jones might fight.