Although there appears to conflicting opinions on how serious Jose Aldo’s rib injury is, the man who’s supposed to fight him July 11th, clearly thinks the featherweight champ should scrap.
The MMA world was on pins and needles last week, after it was relayed that Aldo fractured his ribs while sparring, and as a result, his bout with Conor McGregor was up in the air. On Wednesday, however, the UFC announced that doctors had concluded Aldo’s ribs were just bruised, and that further, the champ still wants to fight his rival.
Well, McGregor proceeded to take a few verbal shots at Aldo then, and while speaking to Jon Anik during this weekend’s UFC FN 70 broadcast, “Notorios” said this (quote via MMA Fighting.com):
“Just toughen up and show up,” McGregor said. “Many people have stepped inside the Octagon with little, itty bitty bruises. We all have knocks and bruises. Dust it off and step up. Step up and fight like a man. Fight like the championship you should be.”
“There’s a lot on the line,” McGregor said. “A lot of money, a lot of pride. There should be no reason to pull out of this contest. But if he does, that’s on him and I cannot force another individual to step in there…”
There you have it, and if there still some big time Aldo fans who didn’t dislike McGregor yet, they most likely do now. The comments came not that long after Aldo’s coach, Andre Pederneiras, relayed that apparently doctors in Brazil have concluded the champ’s ribs are fractured…
It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks.
UFC 189 will be hosted by the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.