Jon Jones Explains Why he Hopes CM Punk Gets “Knocked Out”

Jon Jones

It looks like you can add Jon Jones to the list of fighters who aren’t sold on the UFC signing Phil “CM Punk” Brooks, as the champ’s relayed he hopes the pro-wrestler gets KO’d in his Octagon debut.

Jones has been doing the media rounds for his UFC 182 headliner with Daniel Cormier on Saturday, and recently, he appeared on the Chad Dukes vs. The World radio show. The light-heavyweight was asked to comment on the UFC’s signing of Brooks, and according to a report from MMA Fighting.com, here is some of what Jones said.

“I just think it’s unfair for the people who have been working their tails off to earn this opportunity,” Jones said.”That’s why I really hope UFC gives him a real opponent so we can watch him get knocked out.”

“Every day I’m at the gym watching these kids training,” Jones furthered. “These guys have no money and they’re training their tails off, giving up everything to be a fighter.  Living in the gym, eating turkey and peanut butter, bare minimum to chase this dream and then a superstar like him just gets to jump into the UFC just because he knows the right people and has a name.”

Of course, everyone knows that Punk has been brought to the UFC because he’s going to move a lot of pay-per-view buys. Jones went on to acknowledge that the former WWE star will bring a lot of attention to the UFC and that it will be good for the sport, in that sense.

All the Brooks talk aside, Jones and Cormier will battle this Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Other main card bouts scheduled for the card include Myles Jury vs. Donald Cerrone, Josh Burkman vs. Hector Lombard, Brad Tavares vs. Nate Marquardt and Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Louis Gaudinot.

• sdouglasmc says:

The rightness or wrongness of the Brooks signing a side, I’d be curious to know how many of these guys who aren’t a fan of Brooks jumping the line would love to have him on the undercard of their PPV where they earn a certain amount per buy.

• fanoftna33 says:

I still think this is good all the way around, Punk is a true fan of the sport and regardless of what Jon Jones thinks Punk has more than paid his dues on the mat and in front of the camera and if Dana wants to use his name then good for Punk for using the UFC to fulfill his dream.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t get why so many fighters want to take it out on Brooks, or blame him? He made the comment that he’d love to try MMA because of how much he loves it, and Dana and Lorenzo instantly got on a plane and came to meet him and was like hey we hear you want to do this, we will pay you to do this. What was he suppose to say, you know what thanks for offering to pay me to make my dream come true, but I don’t think so?

• THEGUNNER says:

I’d say putting him on a ultamite fighter like the comeback one but with the green ranger and other names that are a lil bit known and make it a celeb/famous name tuf type thing.. at this point if he fights a bum and gets a huge check seems to be the problem. Give him no more than 10 to 20 to us and for his first fight.. I may be wrong but I recall Roy nelson getting like 12 gs and Mir getting like 200, 000.. that’s wrong..

• fanoftna33 says:

I read an interview where he ( Punk ) said he was perfectly willing to try TUF.

• sdouglasmc says:

I think TUF would be a great idea. It would boost their ever lowering ratings, give Brooks some great training, possible respect by his peers and make the UFC money in a longer term instead of a possible one time only James Toney farce.

• THEGUNNER says:

I seen an interview where he said he was a jujitsu based fighter than seen another interview where he said he is basically a white belt.. celeb or well known people with a few faces the rest normal fighters and let the ratings begin. As it is with the fighter suing the ufc if they give him a huge payday no matter who he fights win or lose. If he’s in the top 3 of a ppv and gets a huge paycheck fighters are gonna start trippin. Where’s sonnen when we need him..

• AlphaOmega says:

Gunner he’s been training Juijitsu for about 10 yrs at Gracie Academy, but because of his travel schedule with WWE he barely got any full length training time, so that’s why he says he’s basically a white belt even though he’s technically not, because he hasn’t put the time in like others has. Also on the money thing, Big Country got so low of a pay because it was TUF contract, all TUF winners get the same contract