38-year old former champion Anderson Silva (33-5) could have walked away from Mixed Martial Arts after his knockout loss to Chris Weidman in July and been a first ballot Hall of Famer as perhaps the greatest fighter the sport has ever seen. Prior to the defeat he’d strung together more defenses of his middleweight title than any athlete in the organization’s history with a similar distinction concerning consecutive victories. In addition to not necessarily NEEDING to continue his career, the stumble was also relatively brutal in nature, serving as the first time Silva had been stopped with strikes.
However, rather than hang up his trademark black/yellow trunks, Silva decided to get back on the horse and will face Weidman for a second time this year when they meet at UFC 168. “The Spider” spoke to SiriusXM Sports about the tilt, explaining the entire situation had rekindled some of his competitive desire.
“I’m very excited for the rematch. The new Anderson is coming in December,” said Silva confidently in a conversation captured by MMAFighting.
Asked to explain his thought process in the wake of getting finished, Silva stated, “I lost my fight, and for the first time in my career I got knocked out. I wasn’t happy when the fight was finished. I went back to the hotel, and Dana talked to me three days [later]. ‘It’s really important for your legacy,’ he said. ‘We need you back for the rematch.’ My coach said, ‘Yes, it’s very important. One more fight, one more chance for the fans watch you fight for the belt.’”
“In the UFC my legacy is complete because I broke all the records, but now I [have] the chance to change my life again [and] pick up the belt back,” he concluded. “I’m very excited to finish my new contract in the UFC. It’s part of my contract, win or [lose].”
Silva signed a ten-fight deal prior to his bout with Weidman. His December 28 tilt with Weidman will mark the Brazilian’s eighteenth effort in the Octagon.