Two weeks ago, UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson was 100% certain he’d be putting his gold up for grabs against T.J. Grant on August 31 at UFC 164. However, a few percentage points have since been shaved off the number thanks to Anthony Pettis’ recent withdrawal from a featherweight title-fight with Jose Aldo scheduled for earlier in the month. Pettis was seen as the top contender at 155 pounds before deciding to drop down and face Aldo and, as chance would have it, he believes he’ll be healthy enough to fight at UFC 164 which also happens to be taking place in his hometown of Milwaukee.
Despite UFC President Dana White’s assurance that Pettis won’t be put in Grant’s place, the potential for change still remains and, surprisingly, that’s perfectly fine with Henderson.
“As I’ve always said, I don’t care who I fight or when I fight them. I’m going to do what I always do, which is continue training to be the best in the world,” said Henderson in a quick conversation with MMAFighting. “I’ll just fight and let the others worry about talking their way into fights.”
Regardless of how things ultimately unfold, one thing is certain – Henderson is in for a stiff challenge. He and Pettis met before in 2010 in a five-round affair seeing “Showtime” emerge with a decision win. Meanwhile, Grant is 5-0 since moving down to lightweight including first-frame knockouts of Matt Wiman and Gray Maynard in his last two tilts.