(The Bronx, N.Y. – May 11, 2013) New York may be in a perpetual state of flux when it comes to sanctioned pro MMA, but thanks to the efforts of the Aggressive Combat Championship, the amateur version of the sport is thriving. With the gymnasium at St. Raymond’s High School once again playing host, the ACC put together 11 MMA bouts for Saturday night, and the action ranged from “Damn, that’s pretty technical” to “That was awesome!” Highlights of the evening included:
- The slick jiu-jitsu of Oswald Perez. Opponent Steve Inoshima was good, but Perez was better, and ended it all via armbar.
- Vincent DeRiso’s guillotine, which left his opponent unconscious on the canvas.
- Gerald Javiar’s championship turn against Desmond Nelson, which resulted in a submission victory – and a 125-pound belt – for the diminutive EDGE Hoboken rep.
- Paul Grant def. Carlo Rodriguez via Unanimous Decision
- Jackson Farjardo def. David Juliano via KO (Punch) at 2:26, R1
- Josh Armstrong def. Juliano Zanetti via Submission (Kneebar) in R3
- Jamie Rodriquez def. Malik Santiago via Submission (Guillotine) in R1
- Geovani Pimentel def. Florentino Laureno via Unanimous Decision
- Oswald Perez def. Steve Inoshima via Submission (Armbar) in R2
- Johnny Castilo def. Thomas Markowitz via Split Decision
- Vincent DeRiso def. Luiz Razuri via Technical Submission (Guillotine) in R1
- Victor Landeta def. Bernie Cano via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:58, R1
- Alex Groden def. Ray Ceballos via Unanimous Decision
- Gerald Javiar def. Desmond Nelson via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:20, R1