UFC on Fuel 8 Results: Wanderlei Silva stops Brian Stann with strikes in memorable main event match-up

UFC on Fuel 8 PosterThe ring may have been an eight-sided cage and Bruce Buffer’s voice was booming over the loudspeakers rather than Lenne Hardt’s, but high-level MMA was back in Japan tonight with the UFC playing the role of beloved promotion PRIDE by providing fans with a slew of solid scraps including a good number involving regional favorites. Unfolding in Saitama Super Arena, UFC on Fuel 8 featured Brazilian bomber Wanderlei Silva battling Brian Stann in the headliner with other notable match-ups including Siyar Bahadurzada-Dong Hyun Kim, Mark HuntStefan Struve, Yushin Okami-Hector Lombard, and Diego Sanchez-Takanori Gomi.

The showdown between Silva-Stann was be contested at 205 pounds and had the potential to go five frames, though any fan familiar with either fighter knew the likelihood of a decision determining the winner was slim at best. Entering the affair Silva had stopped 27 of the 34 opponents he’s beaten, while Stann’s finishing rate was equally respectable at 10 out of 12.

The two powerful pugilists turned in an instant classic with a first frame worth watching any day of the week. When the dust settled, Silva emerged with his hand raised after dropping Stan in the second stanza and sealing the deal with a few stiff blows on the ground.

Meanwhile, Hunt took Struve out with strikes in the fourth round of their rumble, while Okami, Kim, and Sanchez all scored decision wins.

Read below for a full list of winners/losers:

Hyun Gyu Lim def. Marcelo Guimaraes via Knockout Round 2 (Knee)
Alex Caceres def. Kyung Ho Kang via Split Decision
Kazuki Tokudome def. Cristiano Marcello via Unanimous Decision
Takeya Mizugaki def. Bryan Caraway via Split Decision
Brad Tavares def. Riki Fukuda via Unanimous Decision
Dong Hyun Kim def. Siyar Bahadurzada via Unanimous Decision
Rani Yahya def. Mizuto Hirota via Unanimous Decision
Yushin Okami def. Hector Lombard via Split Decision
Diego Sanchez def. Takanori Gomi via Split Decision
Mark Hunt def. Stefan Struve via TKO Round 3 (Strikes)
Wanderlei Silva def. Brian Stann via Knockout Round 2 (Strikes)

• AlphaOmega says:

Kim – Dec
    Hirota – TKO round 2
    Fukuda – Dec

• THEGUNNER says:

Wandy, hunt, lombard, sanchez

• sides666 says:

Kim lombard gomi struve and hopefully wandy but realisticly stann.

• Richard Stabone says:

Bahadurzada

Lombard

Gomi

Struve – I favor Struve wherever the fight goes. At age 25 he’s to the point where he’s fully filled out that mammoth frame and now has the strength to actually utilize his reach advantage. So I expect Struve to keep Hunt at bay while the action is on the feet, just waiting for the right time to work it to the ground and finish the fight by giving Hunt his 7th career submission defeat in 16 MMA fights.

Wandy – I like Stann but he’s overrated. If he’s able to beat Wandy, it would be (IMO) the toughest opponent he’s beaten to date, even at this stage of Wandy’s career. (Some would argue Leben was a better win, but Chris is such an erratic fighter/human being you never know what he’s gonna bring on fight night. And, fwiw, his trainer said Chris was feverish and vomiting in the locker room prior to the Stann fight.) I think Wandy gives the Japanese fans a show back on his old familiar stomping grounds.

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t have any really thought-out picks for tonight, I just really want to see Hunt and Wanderlei satisfy the PRIDE NEVER DIE fanboy in me.

• Dufresne says:

Does Guimaraes have a xenomorph from Aliens tattooed on his shoulder?

• Dufresne says:

The horn sounds like someone kicked a duck.

• Dufresne says:

Hell of a knee. He looked like he was about to be gassed and he finally got that thing to land.

• Dufresne says:

Lmao! Turns out that Asian wasn’t the translator.

• Dufresne says:

That first round was like watching two squirrels fight over a nut. They were everywhere.

Sketchy ax kick there.

• Dufresne says:

Close fight, I could see this being a split decision.

• Dufresne says:

I think the judges got that one right.

• darth_irritable says:

Gotta spend some time with the wife since I’m flying out to India tomorrow. Will watch this when she crashes, and likely comment then. I’ll have had some drinks, so it could be…. colorful. You have been warned.

• Richard Stabone says:

Watching these bantemweights made me think of Brian Bowles… anybody know what the heck he’s been up to and when he might fight next?? Dude was completely off the grid in 2012.

• Dufresne says:

Tavares should have that one.

And I have no idea what’s been up with Bowles lately. I thought he was fighting the injury bug, but I honestly don’t know.

• Dufresne says:

Good job by Kim, but honestly that was pretty boring.

• Dufresne says:

Anik just said, “When he beats you by unanimous decision, it’s usually unanimous.”

Losing respect for this guy every event.

• Richard Stabone says:

“This man is a boxer and a sumo wrestler…”

Well, it at least sounded cool. Plus the orange hair. But Hirota looks like shit so far.

• Richard Stabone says:

Kenny has said “Ronnie Yah-yah” at least 15 times so far.

• Dufresne says:

Can we hire these judges for all UFC events? So far they’ve been pretty spot on.

• JabCrossHook says:

Lombard is an idiot, Okami clearly won the first 2 rounds, he needed to keep it standing wow, bad fight IQ

• Dufresne says:

Gotta say I’m disappointed in Lombard, again. I hate making blanket statements, but Lombard’s performances in the UFC have been pretty damning for the Bellator middleweight division.

• Richard Stabone says:

Lombard came out on fire in the 3rd…would have been interesting to see how it played out if he didn’t inexplicably play the round out on the mat. He earns the WTF OTN.

• JabCrossHook says:

Wow the judges love Diego, what in the fuck? He got outstruck in the last 2 rounds, he did nothing with the takedowns in the first round and Gomi got up from all of them. And every time they were on the feet Gomi was landing the heavier shots.

What in the fuck? Seriously?

• Richard Stabone says:

Holy shite. Sloppy Struve the entire fight, but beautiful KOTN hook from Hunt.

• Creature says:

Oh my god.. Mark Hunt, had me screaming to get his ass up out of Struves guard.. Proves me wrong, then does what hes best at and gets one hell of a KO. Good job sir.

• Richard Stabone says:

A beautifully crushing left hook…don’t see a lot of those in MMA. Condit on Hardy comes to mind.

• Creature says:

Agreed sir^ It was a thing of beauty, I will say im surprised at how long Struve lasted on the feet. He took some big shots before finally going out.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

HOLY BLOODBATH!

• Creature says:

OHHH MYY GODDDD!! Did not see that coming at all! Holy Shit Wanderlei!

• Lord Faust says:

2-0 on picks. 😉

• Richard Stabone says:

Shiiiit….back to back KO of the nights. Pay ’em both.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

AWESOME!!!
    The Wandy Farewell Tour is a success so far!
    Unreal!

• Richard Stabone says:

Top 5 fight of the year, easily.

• darth_irritable says:

There is not enough beer to mAke 80% of this card look like it wasn’t per digested by Hunt.

Last two fights redeemed.

Also way go go hunt, bringing home the win for NZ! War kiwis!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Wandy easily earns GIF OTN as well.

• MCM says:

Just caught these on my DVR.

First let me say that I love the way Kim fights. He’s a stifling wrestler with entertaining, albeit ineffective, GNP. I like watching dominant fighters ply their trades.

I’m also back on the Okami train. He threw me off when he refused to show up for the Silva fight, but I’m learning how to forgive. Although I agree with whomever it said “horrible fight IQ” in the 3rd. But what fucking judge gave Lombard 2 rounds?!?!

Sanchez has officially replaced Leonard Garcia as the judges favorite fighter. I thought that fight was close, but I still would have given in to Gomi.

Struve is by far the best trained fighter in the UFC. You have to say “best trained” because he doesn’t use ANY of his natural gifts. Not only does he not know how to use his jab, but I counted at least 20 times he could have landed his shin on the side of Hunts head. With all the times he pulled guard, it’s not like the guy should be afraid of getting taken down.

as for the Main Event…….

HOLY, FUCKING SHIT!!! Can we get Stan vs Wanderlei on every fucking card from here on out! It may not be fight of the year, but it’s easily Round of the Year. Great way to end the night!