It’s Friday, the morning of the weigh-ins, and I thought I’d let you know about the day ahead leading into my fight with Caros Fodor tomorrow.

The fighters are right downtown and there’s not much to offer here. It’s just office buildings, some State stuff. Most of the cafes and restaurants are just open for lunch or close at 5:00-6:00. So far it seems like everything’s shut down by 7:00. It’s a bit different to what I’m used to, that’s for sure. The fighters, like myself, on the undercard haven’t really been that involved with the media for the event so I’ve had a lot of downtime. I’ve walked a few circles around downtown now. It’s been a pretty easy going week outside of that. I went to the mall today. There’s a really nice and huge indoor/outdoor mall. I went down there by myself and walked around for about three hours and looked around, but I didn’t walk out with anything. It was one of the first times I went into a mall, tried things on, and decided “Eh, I’m not going to buy that.” Usually if I try something on, it’s as good as bought, but I was able to control myself this time around. I’ve gotta say I’m a little proud of myself for that!

I mentioned in my last blog that I didn’t have that much weight to cut. I was about two pounds over last night once I finished a light workout, and I’ve got about five to go today which I can do in one cut – pretty dang easy. However, before I get to that cut, I’ve got a full day ahead of me. I’m up, so I’m going to have a light breakfast and then go for a walk. I tend to go for these walks now in the morning just because I’m used to getting up and walking my dog. My body’s used to it and I like “walking off my meal”. I don’t know if there’s any scientific proof of that working but it’s a mental thing for me if nothing else. After that, I’m going down to the Arnold Classic to sign for with Matt Lindland for about an hour or so. After that, I’ll come back and do an Epsom salt bath with around six bottles of rubbing alcohol. I’ll have a pretty warm bath, and that’s how I’ll cut my weight. With only having fiveor six pounds to go, I’ll only sit in there for about 30-35 minutes, let my body finish sweating, and then jump on the scale to check my weight.

If you’ve never done one of these types of baths before, it’s not that different overall to having a regular bath, but the smell of it really hits your nostrils and it’s a strange feeling at first. The first time I did it, I was thinking to myself “What the hell am I doing? Is this really going to work?” I was so nervous sitting in there wondering if I was losing weight or sweating. I guess it’s an old bodybuilder’s trick? It’s supposed to pull all the water out of your skin and not your organs. I learned it from Chael Sonnen. He’s the one that told me about it, and this fight will be the fourth time I do it. I absolutely swear by it now. You feel so much better than getting in the sauna and sweating it out and it makes you look a bit more shredded so that’s another added benefit of doing it, eh?

After the bath, we’ll head over to the Arnold Classic to weigh-in there. We have to check in by 2:15 and then you’ll see me on the scale at about 5:00.

Once that’s out of the way it’ll be time to rehydrate…and eat! I’m looking forward to that first meal. Lindland’s been coming back with a lot of tasty looking stuff from around the area and I’ve been trying to figure out what I want to eat after weigh-ins. I’m going to keep it pretty light. I love steak, but I can’t just eat a big chunk of meat, have it sit in my stomach and keep my body from absorbing anything else, so I’ll probably have just salmon and some light stuff like that. I’ll have some watery fruits like grapes and oranges and some simple sugars (like Fig Newtons). I’ll slowly eat from there. I can’t gorge myself after weigh-ins because my body’s just not used to it. I’m more of a snack-through-the-night type of guy instead of having a giant meal. So that’s what I’m going to do. Relax and snack throughout the night, then onto the fight with Fodor on Saturday!

Before I go, I wanted to tell you a quick story about my nickname “Bam Bam.” I hate to say it, but “Bam Bam” comes from when I was in high school, and when I drank my friends would always say I had this alter-ego. My eyebrows would lower down and my friends would say stuff like “Oh no, here comes Bam Bam!” I’d be all neanderthal-like. I’d be clumsy and crashing into things, always grabbing my friends and wrestling them. Basically just turning into a caveman who knew a thing or two about grappling.

After fight week, I’m headed to Chicago for a bit. I’m hoping to take in a Chicago Bulls game, and, of course, I’ll be eating lots, especially at Maxwell Street. When I was last there, it was really big for Polish food, but I think now it’s big on Mexican. I’m gonna definitely be traveling around trying all the different styles of food. I’ll check in again with you all next week about my travels in Chi-Town, but that’s all for now. Until next week, catch up with me on Twitter @BamBamHealy and make sure to watch my fight this weekend.


Healy takes on Fodor tomorrow night at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey live from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. This fight will air on the prelim card, starting at 8:00 PM EST on Showtime Extreme. Superchannel will be picking it up in Canada before immediately airing the main card. Check your local listings for more information.