Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer announced Tuesday that UFC welterweight Karo Parisyan will remain suspended until a formal hearing can be held in mid-March.

Parisyan was suspended following his bout at UFC 94 when his post fight urine test came back positive for pain killers Hyrdocodone, Oxycodone and Hydromorphone. The commission held a meeting yesterday afternoon in which Parisyan was present and came to the conclusion that they would be unable to conduct a full hearing at that time. NSAC determined that both sides would benefit from having more time to put their cases together.

Parisyan stated that he would welcome the opportunity to tell his side of the story when the hearing takes place sometime in March. Whatever punishment is deemed necessary would be recommended at that time. Parisyan told the commission that he was at fault and that he did not properly read the instructions they had given him. He has gone on record about his use of prescription drugs following what has been a difficult year in and out of the octagon.

Once the positive test came to light Parisyan told MMAWeekly that he had taken pain medication for a various assortment of injuries that he had sustained over the last three years. He was scheduled to fight Yoshiyuki Yoshida last August at UFC 88 but was forced to withdraw just one day before due to an injury to his sciatic nerve. He was also set to face then welterweight champion Matt Hughes in November of 2005 at UFC 56 for Hughes title but he tore is hamstring and was forced to withdraw from that bout as well.

What is at issue here is Parisyan’s failure to notify the commission of his use of painkillers before his fight at UFC 94. It was only at the post fight drug test that he told NSAC official Tony Lato that he had taken pain medication the night of the weigh-ins. Parisyan was quoted as saying he wasn’t even thinking about the pills and that he was only focused on his fight and about his bouts with anxiety that he had revealed late last year. He just wanted to get out there and fight and wasn’t focused on anything else including disclosing the medications that he had been taking.

Parisyan went on to say that once the fight was over his head was clear and after he had a chance to calm down he remembered to tell the officials about his prescriptions. He completely understand that is his fault. He further added that he planned on coming out and telling the whole truth to the commission in March and that he hoped it didn’t affect his upcoming fight with Josh Koshcheck at UFC 98.