Since I’m from Philadelphia, I spend a lot of time on 5 Oz. covering MMA in the New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Delaware area. And as such, we have a strong concentration of readers from the tri-State area.
That being the case, I wanted to post results from this Saturday’s WKA-sanctioned Combat in the Cage card that I attended in Newark Delaware.
It was another strong show from Ed Hsu’s promotion. The Martinez brothers, Will and Jesus, continued to look dominant. I’m not sure whether they have pro aspirations or not, but it looks like they certainly have the skill. They’ve improved greatly since joining the Fight Factory.
Also, Ryan Mackin’s Combat in the Cage featherweight title win over incumbent Brad Pole improved Team Ground Control’s lifetime record in Combat in the Cage to an impressive 24-0. Team Ground Control is based in Maryland and is one of the top MMA camps on the East Coast. BodogFIGHT and ShoXC competitor James “Binky” Jones is one of the main trainers at the school. Jones, who is 2-0 in his last two fights, indicated to 5 Oz. of Pain that he expects to be fighting again very soon.
In addition to Jones, other pro fighters at the event included referee Stephen Haigh, Zach Makovsky from the Fight Factory and Aaron Miesner from Daddis Fight Camps.
The full results are listed below but I wanted to congratulate all the fighters for stepping up and testing themselves in the Cage.
What: Combat in the Cage
When: Saturday, April 12,2008
Where: Newark, Delaware
1. Chet Hardaway (Team Hitman) def James Harris (Crosswinds Kai) via TKO 2:22 Rd 2
2. Chris Finley (Simrell MMA) def Scott Petty (6 ft Deep) via TKO :55sec Rd 1
3. George Hibbs (Daddis FC) def William Bookwalter (Ephrata MA) via Unanimous Dec
4. Anthony Chicone (Fight Me Fight Team) def Logan Wheeler (Primal Fighting) via Submission 1:58 Rd 1
5. Ryan Cassidy (Maxercise) def Ryan Hodge (Loprestis MMA) via TKO 1:38 Rd 1
6. Tim Williams (Millville BJJ) def Robert Peach (Daddis FC) via RNC 0:46 Rd 1
7. Pat Sabatini (Warriors MA) def Adam Bisignani (Simrell MMA) via unanimous dec.
8. Vincent Velluci (Daddis FC) def John Schollser (Loprestis MMA) via unanimous dec.
9. Will Martinez (Fight Factory) def Jerome McLane (Simrell MMA) via Armbar 2:20 Rd 1
10. Ryan Mackin (Ground Control) def Brad Pole (Primal Fighting) via TKO 2:11 Rd 1
–Ryan Mackin becomes the New Combat in the Cage Featherweight Champion
11. Jesus Martinez (Fight Factory) def Erik Williams (Training Center) via RNC 0:56 Rd 1
-Jesus Martinez retains the Combat in the Cage Middleweight Championship