Rafael dos Anjos, the reigning UFC lightweight champion, is targeting a return to the Octagon late this year.
Dos Anjos told MMAFighting.com recently that he underwent nose surgery earlier this week and will also need to allow his partially torn MCL to repair. That injury, though, will not require surgery.
“The nose recovery will be fast, but I went to the doctor on Wednesday to check on my knee and he said I will be ready to return to strong training in two months,” he said. “If everything goes right, late October or early November is a good date for me to return.
“It would give me a good time to prepare and don’t risk getting injured again.”
Dos Anjos won the title with a decision victory over Anthony Pettis in March. He has won four in a row and is now 24-7 in his career, including 9-1 in his last 10.
The first title defense for dos Anjos is expected to come against the winner of Khabib Nurmagomedov-Donald Cerrone. Nurmagomedov defeated dos Anjos in 2014.