Matt Brown Willing To Welcome GSP Back

matt brown

If Matt Brown has his way, he’ll be the one to welcome Georges St-Pierre back to the UFC – if “Rush” decides to do that.

St-Pierre retired in late 2013, citing a need to move away from the sport for a period of time. He suffered a knee injury earlier this year, but recently returned to training. Along the way, the former UFC welterweight champion appeared in the latest “Captain America” movie and has discussed the need for more drug testing in MMA.

Brown is coming off a loss to Robbie Lawler that kept him from becoming the No. 1 contender. His seven-fight win streak was also snapped at that time.

“I’d love to have that fight,” said Brown, in an interview with FOX Sports. “I always thought I matched up well with him. I think I am in the right position for it. I’m not the champion, he’s not going to come back and get the championship fight right off the bat. I’m in the right position.”

UFC president Dana White disagrees with Brown, as he has previously stated GSP would be rushed right back into a title-fight, if he elected to do that. Of course, St-Pierre’s friend and training partner, Rory MacDonald, is slated to challenge for the belt early next year.

• fanoftna33 says:

I guess if Brown wants to try and fight GSP at an oppertune time then this is good, I just do not see the point in calling for a fight with a guy who retired, then blew his knee out for the second time, seems like he should be focused on guys actually active in his division.

• hindsightufuk says:

just really really want to see him fight Nick Diaz, sure it’s not going to happen at this point though.
    I’d rather see him fight Lombard, or rematch Dong. Dong of today vs Matt Brown of today would be awesome

• fanoftna33 says:

Brown vs Diaz is the fight to make after Diaz vs Silva, that could main event and day.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s not even clear if Diaz can fight right now after that whole multiple warrants fiasco hasn’t been cleared up yet.

• AlphaOmega says:

Anderson Silva and Shogun are new TUF Brazil coaches

• AlphaOmega says:

Who won’t be fighting each other when the season ends

• hindsightufuk says:

If the bookies would take my bet of the Silva Diaz fight never happening I would have put a ton down by now.

I like the idea of Silva and shogun as coaches, it doesn’t tie up any title implications, couple of legends who deserve the lime light, no drama, no bickering etc. Sick of tuf tieing up champions and contenders

• hindsightufuk says:

Also Manuwa is injured, OSP steps in

• AlphaOmega says:

True hopefully this one doesn’t have all the coach BS drama the UFC seems to enjoy and only want. They got mad because the Chael/Jones season barely had any coach drama and they focused on the fighters instead. I still say they messed up though, they should of made Forrest/Bonnar coaches, that season would of been comedy gold