“Notorious” McGregor Dominates Once Again

“Notorious” McGregor Dominates Once Again

Conor McGregor said he would finish Dustin Poirier in the first round of his UFC 178 fight Saturday night.

And that is exactly what “Notorious” did, ending it early.

Following the quick finish, McGregor calmly walked away, putting his finger to his mouth to “silence” the crowd, which was a pro-Irish backing. The win was the fourth straight inside the Octagon for McGregor, who confirmed reports that he suffered a thumb injury in training.

“I don’t just knock (people) out, I pick the round,” he said. “I felt really good. I tore ligaments in my thumb four weeks ago and that disrupted my training, but I wanted to put on a performance.”

McGregor (16-2) has now finished three of his four UFC opponents and made it known he wants the world title next, saying he would be ready to fly to Brazil and fight Jose Aldo for the belt. Aldo is set to meet Chad Mendes next month.

“These featherweights don’t understand,” McGregor said. “When they get hit by me, it is a whole other ballgame.”

The loss was just the fourth of Poirier’s career, dropping him to 16-4. He protested the stoppage, claiming one of the shots landed was to the back of the head.

• Screenplaya says:

Give him the winner of Aldo/Mendes and let’s see what happens. He has both talked and fought his way into a shot, so give it to him.

• hindsightufuk says:

On one hand I agree, lesser title shots have been given, I’d enjoy watching it, so let’s do it. But then I remember Cub has done more and is fighting Frankie next, if he wins he absolutely deserves it

• hindsightufuk says:

I’d like to see him fight Dennis Bermudez personally

• JabCrossHook says:

I think Connor has a good shot in dethroning aldo and his striking is on a whole other level than cub swanson. Connor is really on some Anderson silva shit right now and Aldo’s boxing and defense arent up to Connors level. The difference will be the power that macgregor brings and how Aldo can take it. I see aldo keeping his distance and going for a lot of leg kicks, that’s his key to victory.

• fanoftna33 says:

Yep I would like to see Conner beat 1 more top 10 guy before a title shot but if you think about the fact that Aldo has beat the other top guys already like Edgar, Swanson, Lamas, Mendes, the UFC must love getting a new fresh face like Conner in there ( assuming he beats Mendes).

• AlphaOmega says:

Connor will get the title shot next, Dana is already going out saying that he’s bigger then both Lesnar and GSP combined in popularity.

• Screenplaya says:

Having read the comments here, I would be on board with giving the winner of Swanson/Edgar the next shot, and having Bermudez/McGregor on the undercard for the next shot.

• JabCrossHook says:

I would say lamas remains the only test being an elite wrestler to test his TD defense but he’s fighting Bermudez another wrestler so Conner should fight the winner.