Hendricks’ Team Discusses His Possible Return Date

Johny Hendricks

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks remains sidelined, and could stay that way until the early portion of 2015.

Most believed Hendricks would be making his first title defense in January against Robbie Lawler, but his wrestling coach, Kenny Monday, recently told ESPN.com that isn’t likely to happen.

“I know everyone would have loved January, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to work out. I’m thinking he fights in February or March.”

Hendricks (16-2) won the title this past March when he bested Lawler in a bout to determine the new champion after Georges St-Pierre surrendered the title. Hendricks lost via decision to St-Pierre in 2013.

Lawler, meanwhile, improved to 24-10 by rebounding from the loss to “Bigg Rigg” and defeating both Jake Ellenberger and Matt Brown.

“The last thing the UFC wanted was to start promoting a fight and have to postpone it if Johny had a setback,” Hendricks’ manager, Ted Ehrhard, said. “He’s well past the point now but the schedule is full. He’s a main event fighter and all the main events are taken.

“It looks like he’ll fight some time in February.”

• hindsightufuk says:

That’s a shit reason for a champion not to fight, because there are no main event spots left

• Dufresne says:

I agree. How much of diva is Hendricks going to be? I thought he seemed like a down to earth kinda guy, but this is a prissy little move.

• sdouglasmc says:

Screw Hendricks, Robbie Lawler is out defending like the ‘Champ’ should. That’s why I like him and Ben Henderson so much.

• fanoftna33 says:

I agree thats a shitty move but it is also a beneficial move for Lawler as he had three big fights very close to each other so a break is good, plus it is just that much more ring rust on Hendricks.

• AlphaOmega says:

So almost a year, almost a year before the WW belt is put in circulation again. That’s sad, the UFC right now is becoming like SF of old, they only have what 3 active title holders currently? Weidman, Ronda, Dillashaw

• AlphaOmega says:

Sorry 4, I always forget Mighty mouse

• Dufresne says:

I just read that Joe Silva recently said that PPV main events should be title fights. If that’s true, then with the rash of injuries and the TUF schedules taking two of the champs, maybe it’s not entirely Hendricks’s decision. Maybe they’re trying to ration out the title fights so they can keep to their PPV plan. I’m not convinced that this is the reason, but it might be a factor.