New Info On Gina Carano-To-UFC Expected In September

Gina Carano

UFC president Dana White continues to say the promotion is close to acquiring the services of Gina Carano, but offered no definitive timetable for her return to MMA.

White, attending the UFC’s event in China alongside female bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, was asked about the contract negotiations with Carano during the post-fight press conference.

“It’s complicated, but I think we’re close,” White said. “I don’t know (as for her debut or official signing date). I had plans, but now I don’t know.

“We have to see how this thing plays out.”

White added that he should know more the “first week of September” but offered no further insight.

Carano, 32 years old, left the sport for a career in movies after a loss to Cris Cyborg in 2009. Earlier this year, she made mention of feeling the itch to fight again, and rumors immediately started circulating about a Rousey-Carano contest.

• AlphaOmega says:

They were close at the beginning of August, and beginning of July Dana said it was for sure a done deal by the end of August, now it’s well maybe, we are about there..

Also what happened to the whole if she’s not signed by August 10th, then no fight with Ronda thing?

• Dufresne says:

Personally I think Cat should get the next title shot anyways.

• fanoftna33 says:

I also feel Cat should get the next shot, and I hope she wipes the cage with Nunes.

• AlphaOmega says:

She absolutely should, she earned it. It’s funny that they are like oh Cat needs a tune up fight after so long off, yet Gina doesn’t need a tune up fight after 5 yrs without fighting or training hard.

• Screenplaya says:

I think I have the solution:

1) Cat gets her shot and fights Rousey. Assumedly, Rousey wins.

2) Gina takes on Rousey training partner, Jessamyn “Hands of Cotton” Duke. Duke has both name recognition, and no chance of beating Carano. After Carano punches a hole though Rousey’s protégé, we have our matchup.

• Dufresne says:

Screenplaya, I think you’ve nailed it.