UFC 173: Belfort Out, Weidman vs. Machida Set

The least surprising news after today’s momentous announcement from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has been confirmed as Vitor Belfort is out of UFC 173 title fight with middleweight champion Chris Weidman. The news was announced on a late edition of FOX Sports Live.

Replacing Belfort will be former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. “The Dragon” has gone 2-0 since dropping to middleweight with wins over Gegard Mousasi and Mark Muñoz. Weidman vs. Machida will headline the May 24 fight card in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Belfort did indicate that he would return to MMA without TRT once his body had adjusted to ending the process. Be sure to stay tuned as more updates are expected to come on the heels of tonight’s announcement.

• hindsightufuk says:

And we laughed…..

• fanoftna33 says:

Belfort has already stated he did not pull out, it was the UFC’s decision. I am sure they thought it best to avoid any last minute injury issues from Belfort. And now we have a seriously exciting fight in Machida vs Weidman.

• hindsightufuk says:

Man I’m never one to brag about getting predictions right, but then 90% of the time I’m wrong, but I called Vitor pulling out of this fight the day it was anounced. I’m basking in the glory for a bit, but will always be gutted if we don’t get to see what vitor could have done in a title shot in this condition/frame of mind.
    But yes, intrigued to see how machida weidman goes down

• fanoftna33 says:

Yes agreed Vitor looked pretty much unbeatable in his last three fights thats for sure. Not quite sure who I am rooting for now that it is Weidman vs Machida now. Kind of leaning Machida.

• THEGUNNER says:

hendo vs shogon 2. Whats gonna happin?

• THEGUNNER says:

Travis brown is making guys that can fight without trt weak.

• THEGUNNER says:

Imo this made the weidman fight better.

• fanoftna33 says:

I read Hendo is the last fighter to get a TUE from Brazil.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mir is in trouble now as well, Rothwell, Bigfoot. lots of big names and why is it only the heavier fighters? Although of all the fighters Bigfoot may acually need it due to having his thyroid removed.

• AlphaOmega says:

Chael is in trouble too don’t forget him. Hendo depends on if Brazil has a commission or not, if Brazil falls under the banner of UFC has to self regulate, and if Dana holds his word, then no more TRT there.

• Dufresne says:

Brazil said they are following the NSAC on this. They also said that because it was already granted, Hendo will still get his TUE for his fight with Shogun. I haven’t heard/read anything about Chael yet though.

• Dufresne says:

And even if no other athletic commission other than Brazil follows the NSAC with this, and they absolutely should, if any fighter fights in Nevada or anywhere else that does not allow TRT usage they should not be allowed exemption anywhere else. If you don’t need it for a fight in Vegas, you shouldn’t be allowed to have it anywhere else.

And now that I’ve written that out, it makes me wonder if flushing out the biggest fakers/cheaters wasn’t part of their reasoning.

• AlphaOmega says:

NSAC kinda leads the pack in the Commissions, so I bet a lot will follow suit, if not then probably make it tougher