Eddie Alvarez says “the gloves are off” in latest online rant towards Bellator

Bellator LogoLightweight Eddie Alvarez isn’t able to step into a cage and compete at the moment but, as fans following his situation already know, the former Bellator champion definitely has a fight on his hands. Alvarez has been going back and forth with the organization based on a contractual dispute and is expected to head to court in the coming months to have a legal ruling made on the matter. At the root of the problem is Alvarez’s interest in signing with the UFC and Bellator’s contention he has been offered an equivalent deal he is obligated to ink based on a “right to match” clause in their previous agreement.

Alvarez took to Twitter last week to announce he’d been forced to sell a retirement property to afford the cost of living while things play out. Last night, the 29-year old went on the social networking site again to voice his opinion on the matter, laying in to the higher-ups at Bellator and Spike TV for their treatment of fighters.

“I am fortunate compared to guys like Cosmo Alexandre. This guy trains day and night to feed his family, and Viacom/Spike TV continue to hurt him. His story of getting shafted might be worse than mine,” wrote the 24-3 Alvarez in response to a message from Alexandre saying he was broke.

“Not to mention how Zach Makovsky was bullied to take a smaller pay day than contextually agreed or just sit after being champ,” added Alvarez. “I have nothing to complain about. I get paid well enough to keep bills paid, but to bully guys like Makovsky and Alexandre is a sin. Bjorn Rebney’s a grunt in this. It’s Viacom and Spike TV and a group of idiots with money who don’t know sh*t about MMA.”

Alexandre hasn’t seen action since November 2012 for unknown reasons, while former bantamweight champ Makovsky was cut after falling one fight removed from losing the belt.

“I might just dump just real sh*t tonight until I get a call from someone to stop. Soooo much to talk about now that the gloves are off,” Alvarez concluded, saying he had more he planned to share on Monday. “I’d be more careful in what I said but I was told as long as I truthful then I can say whatever I want.”

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAWEEKLY/BELLATOR

• Richard Stabone says:

Let’s flash back, Eddie…

You were coming off a loss where you tapped to Aoki when Bellator made the decision to invest in you. The fact you signed with them would suggest they were willing to offer more than the UFC.

At some point you signed a deal–with the gloves off, I assume–that included the match clause. You had a good run with Bellator and, naturally, want to parlay that into a bigger career and bigger paydays.

But that match clause doesn’t just disappear. The company that invested in you before the UFC has a right–based on the contract–to protect their investment. That might suck for us as fans who want to see you fight in the UFC, and definitely sucks for you now that greener pastures are available, but you signed the friggin contract, dude. Nobody forced you to sign with Bellator, and if you and your agent/lawyer didn’t like the match clause up front then it was foolish to sign the contract that included it.

If Eddie is right about the contracts not being a legitimate match according to the language of the contracts, then the courts will agree with him and he can move on. But as I said from day one, I don’t like his chances.

It’s an unfortunate situation. I like Eddie (as a fighters) and would love to see him fight the top guys in the UFC. It’s too bad he didn’t luck out like Lombard, with the UFC making a huge offer than made the match clause a moot point. But the UFC didn’t make a huge offer, Eddie is now stuck in the middle, and we’ll see what the court decides. In any event, Bellator and any other MMA org out there shouldn’t be expected to just roll over for the UFC.

• JabCrossHook says:

Richard you obviously didn’t follow up on the details of the match clause. The UFC offered Eddie a certain salary along with percentage on the PPV buys of a card he would be headlining. Since Bellator doesn’t do any PPVs and is only on cable TV then all they can do is give him a set finite amount as a salary. The percentage of PPV buys the UFC offered is virtually limitless on how much money Eddie can earn on top of his fight salary and win bonus. There is no way Bellator can match that but instead they are prolonging things by claiming they can match it which isn’t true. They know this and are doing it anyway to hold on to Eddie any way possible no matter how much it hurts his pockets by not fighting for an extended amount of time.

These guys spend a shitload of money for their training camps which include a wrestling coach, BJJ coach, Muay Thai coach, boxing coach, strength and conditioning coach, nutritionalist, etc along with at times paying high level sparring partners to mimic their opponent. That all costs a pretty penny.

• Richard Stabone says:

I followed the details and it was obvious from the start that trying to get out of a contract based on *potential* PPV earnings was a long shot. How much $$ is the UFC guaranteeing in PPV earnings?

Good luck to Eddie in court.

• Richard Stabone says:

Granted, this doesn’t help Bellator from a PR standpoint. But Bjorn & company are stuck between a rock in a hard place… stick to their guns in protecting their investment in Eddie Alvarez with the inclusion of the match clause (which the courts have thus far supported) or cut bait and let Eddie go which in effect be grabbing their ankles for the UFC.

Look, I want to see Eddie Alvarez fight the top UFC guys and I always want to see the fighters get paid top dollar. And guess what…Bellator paid Eddie before the UFC was willing to, and now that he’s a star Bellator is supposed to step aside and let the UFC scoop him up? Well, maybe…we’ll see what the court decides.

• JabCrossHook says:

That all depends on how many people buy the PPV, I guess they would take the average PPV buys and Eddie percentage to calculate how much he can earn potentially.

Also how is it a long shot? The UFC’s contract to Eddie offered a salary equal or better than Bellator’s salary along with a percentage of the PPV earnings. If Bellator has no PPV shows then how on earth can they possible match that? They could offer a higher salary but the UFC can just match it and would still offer more. I don’t see how its a long shot when you include the percentage from PPV along with the fight salary it would blow Bellator’s offer out of the water.

• darth_irritable says:

Jab, Bellator’s offer included a PPV (despite them never having put one on, and a broadcast audience smaller than most UFC PPV’s), and a show on “Broadcast” Spike TV, which they were arguing is comparable to Fox.

Richard – I think the Fox v Spike argument will be pretty key here too. Hard to say Spike viewership compares to Fox, especially with the latest ratings from the Bendo fight.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jab, if it’s the lopsided screw job you make it out to be, Eddie and his lawyer should be able to laugh Bellator right out of the court room. I don’t think it will be, and I don’t fault Bellator for exercising its contractual rights.

The match clause was a bargaining chip when Eddie and Bellator negotiated a contract. For example, $50K per fight but we retain the right to match any offer once the deal expires, or $40K per fight and you’re completely a free agent when the deal expires.

Not saying that was exactly how the negotiation went down, but this attitude of just ignoring the match clause and the legal language of the contract seems a bit absurd to me. As I keep saying, we’ll see how the court interprets all of this stuff and let the situation play out from there.

• AlphaOmega says:

darth is right, Bellator is using the idea that at some point this yr they will put on their first PPV and they want Eddie to be on it, so therefore they can technically match the UFC’s PPV buys offer. I think if the UFC had said that Alvarez gets a set percentage of every 3rd PPV or whatever, then it’d be different, but how I understand it they left it vague, so Bellator’s planned PPV matchs the vagueness.