Johny Hendricks reminds Georges St-Pierre he “can’t hide forever”

Georges St-Pierre - UFC 158 WorkoutsIn the minds of most, UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks earned a title-shot after coming out victorious in five straight scraps including finishes of ranked foes like Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann. However, champion Georges St-Pierre opted for action against Nick Diaz based on his desire to settle a personal score between the two and the UFC was happy to book it based on the potential for PPV buys.

Rather than rest on his laurels, Hendricks decided to take a tilt at UFC 158 where he’ll face Carlos Condit. Though the bearded brawler knows beating Condit is easier said than done, he’s also hungry for his chance to get his hands on GSP and isn’t willing to risk being passed over again.

“I gotta get past Carlos Condit. Once I do, it’s GSP time. If I beat Carlos Condit, nobody’s in my way,” said Hendricks yesterday at the UFC 158 open workouts in a conversation captured by MMAFighting. “GSP can’t hide forever. I think after this one, if I beat Carlos Condit, it’s GSP.”

“I want to look across the Octagon and say, ‘You have not faced anybody like me.’ That’s what his little quote is: ‘You’ve never faced anybody like me.’ Bullsh*t. You’ve never faced anybody like me,” he concluded.

Hendricks’ blend of high-level wrestling and knockout power make him one of the division’s most unique talents. He holds an overall record of 14-1 with past wins against Charlie Brenneman, Amir Sadollah, T.J. Grant, and Josh Koscheck.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

He’s never faced a wrestler turned striker before? Hm.. strange. Anyways I think condit takes this fight.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

“Wrestler turned striker” is one way to put it. Another would be, two-time NCAA champion and four-time All-American who has one-punch knockout power.

• raker says:

I love Johny but he’s not gonna get by Condit. He’s got big power but guys at the top of the division will wise up to it quickly. Then again, anyone can get caught and if he becomes champ I won’t be disappointed.

• raker says:

Good point Brendhan! No matter what, I think that Hendricks – GSP has the makings of an incredible match up.

• climbarock says:

Hendricks has the wrestling accolades but he hasn’t proven to be a great wrestler in MMA. He got bullied around a bit by Kos, Pierce, and Story, and arguably lost all those fights.

So, yeah, if you couldn’t tell already, I’m not on board the Hendricks bandwagon. When he can’t land that big left hand his offense is very limited. I’ve got Condit.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I’d put my money on Condit too.

• Niv says:

climbarock, agreed I too am not on the Hendrick’s bandwagon either. I think he gets steamrolled by GSP and I also think Saturday is going to cost him his title shot.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Did Hendricks say all this in his best Nick Diaz voice?

I think even if Hendricks loses , if it’s by close decision, he should get the next title shot.

Hendricks by close decision.

• drstu says:

What do you expect him to say? Nobody gets title shots based on technical merit anymore. Hendricks knows Dana expects him to sell the fight.

• darth_irritable says:

I saw a great interview with Sonnen on what makes a good MMA wrestler. I don’t think Hendricks has fully made the transition.

He has a puncher”s chance, but I see Condit taking this!