Georges St-Pierre tells trainer he wants to fight Anderson Silva next

Anderson Silva - UFC 148Fans had an opportunity to see UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre defend his title against Carlos Condit a little more than a month ago at UFC 154 after an extended absence from the ring for health-related reasons. Now it appears it could be awhile before GSP puts his gold up for grabs again, as the 31-year old has apparently decided to put his pound-for-pound status on the line and face middleweight king Anderson Silva at some point in 2013.

Though the situation is still developing, leaving details scarce at best, St-Pierre’s chief trainer Firas Zahabi confirmed his fellow Canadian’s interest in a clash with Silva during a brief exchange with the Canadian Press.

“He told me yes. But I think there’s a lot to be negotiated. I don’t know much more than that,” said Zahabi.

As implied, a number of steps still need to be taken before a St-Pierre/Silva bout becomes reality including an agreed-upon weight. Silva’s camp has said he can dip down as low as 178 pounds, while St-Pierre’s side has stated any move up could be a permanent one and he would prefer things to take place at welterweight.

Regardless, Zahabi’s information marks the first major sign St-Pierre is leaning towards Silva rather than attempting to extend his streak of title-defenses by facing Johny Hendricks or Nick Diaz.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

I have to hear it from GSP himself. Until then. But damn its looking like its going to happen if Zahabi is saying so.

• I refuse to get excited until the headline reads ,”superfight targeted.for ufc number….”

• AlphaOmega says:

Ya that could be totally out of context, I mean would GSP like to fight Silva at some point? probably yes, who knows thats what GSP could of said and Zahabi is like yup he wants it.

• Richard Stabone says:

And 50 cent is gonna make the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight happen.

• Sumoninja says:

Just don’t think it’s a good move for GSP. Not interested. Give me AS vs. Weidman/Bisping/Belcher/JJones and GSP vs Diaz/Hendricks/Condit II before this fight.

• MickeyC says:

$ only thing that needs to be worked out. I know GSP denied asking for 50 mil to fight Anderson, And I would half to agree he may not have asked for that amount but if the fight goes down man, these guys are gona get paid.

• THEGUNNER says:

They put it off for years now. Just fight, get paid, make history, then go back to your normal life dominating divisions. Its not rocket science.

• moosebaby02 says:

not so normal life dominating a division for the loser since alot of his star power will fall since that p4p tag cant be added to the end of their brand

• AlphaOmega says:

From twitter, so grain of salt, looks like dana said that Diaz is GSP’s next opponent….really? I seriously hope this is a rumor proved false

• Richard Stabone says:

Could just be rumor but it would fit right in with the BS money-grab decision making we’ve seen from the UFC in recent months.

• moosebaby02 says:

just saw it on TSN that GSP has asked Uncle Dana to fight Diaz

• Richard Stabone says:

So Firas is talking Silva, Greg Jackson is eyeing Hendricks & GSP is asking for Diaz.

I pick door #2

• AlphaOmega says:

I pick #3 because that makes the most money for DW and UFC if GSP is set against a super fight. Although I think #2 should be the right one because thisll be the second person who got a title fight after a loss.