Miesha Tate advocates equality when it comes to men hitting women in defense

Strikeforce bantamweight Miesha Tate has grown up surrounded by men in the competitive sense from her formative years on, wrestling in high school as the only female member of the squad and transitioning to MMA shortly thereafter despite her gender’s relative lack of representation in the sport. That upbringing, in addition to a recent situation involving her boyfriend Bryan Caraway and Ronda Rousey, have given Tate a world of experience when it comes to forming an opinion on physical violence between the genders. And, in her view, there is no reason a man should be punished for hitting a woman in defense.

“When a woman steps up to a man she should be treated as an equal, no discrimination,” explained Tate on Twitter. “I think if she slaps you, you should be able to slap her back 100%. It’s dumb to say a woman can but a man can’t.”

Tate’s take on the subject came as the result of a fan questioning her about a past comment Caraway made in response to a challenge from Rousey, an outspoken 135-pound champion scheduled to face Tate in a title-defense. In essence, Caraway explained he would knock her teeth out and break her arm if the two of them were to ever really fight.

“I hate double standards. I’ve worked all my life to break away from double standards. They work both ways for men and women,” Tate continued. “Think about it. Why can women act out in violence & let their tempers fly? Why is it okay for a woman to hit?”

“I would never fight a man. That’s my point. I would never challenge a man ever because it’s idiotic,” the 26-year old elaborated. “My point is society needs to stop double standards that it’s okay for a woman to challenge/hit a man & he can do or say NOTHING.”

“It goes against nature for a woman to challenge a man physically period! In the wild if a lioness challenged a lion he’d eat her,” she concluded.

Career-wise, Tate has decided to take an extended break to recharge herself for another run at Rousey’s belt. The 13-3 “Cupcake” was last seen submitting Julie Kedzie in an action-packed affair this past August.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Lord Faust says:

The whole statement seemed odd. Some guy on Twitter randomly comes out of the woodwork and frames the question as though his 7 year old asked her if she thought it was OK.

Yeah, because a 7 year old is following Miesha Tate and Bryan Caraway on Twitter. But I guess that’s beside the point.

As to her comments, I agree with her mostly. Equal rights = equal fights, but generally unless you have no other alternatives then physical violence is frowned upon universally IMO. Regardless of gender, if you’re a violent asshole then that’s the issue — not whether you stand up to pee.

• darth_irritable says:

I guess if you’re gonna fight in a division that might include Cyborg, you pretty much have to take that position.

• MCM says:

I have no idea what sparked all this, but I think she’s %100 percent right. If I got in an argument with a guy and slapped him in the face, he’d punch in the face. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen women slap guys and the guy just sits there and takes it. The only time I saw a man react, he grabbed her wrist, and three other guys stepped up to hold HIM back.
    I am a firm believer in equality between the sexes. If a woman does the same job as a man, she should get paid the same. If a man can fight on the front lines for his country, so should a woman. And if a woman hits a man, she should expect to get hit right back.
    I’ve worked construction, worked on adult films and been a stay at home dad, and the most sexist group of people I ever met were mom’s at the playground.

• Lord Faust says:

The big problem I have with “don’t hit a girl” (aside from the sexist reasoning) is that it never extends to smaller guys. I’m a reasonably big guy (not huge, but well above average) and it seems to be the general consensus that if some other male picks a fight with me then it’s all fair, even if I have 50 lbs. of weight on him and half-a-foot of height.

Yet, I shouldn’t hit a girl because… They’re weaker… or something. I don’t know, the whole notion bothers me.

I’ve also known some tough-as-nails women. My grandfather taught me mom to box as a kid; she fucked up a number of dudes who thought she’d be an easy fight. (This was back in the 60s.) One of the most vicious schoolyard beatings I ever saw involved a “skater chick” beating some douchebag so bad he never came back to school after. (He also 100% deserved it and instigated.)

I find that whenever I express my thoughts on the matter, people think I want to hit women. I don’t. I don’t want to hit anyone. (Broken jaws, smashed teeth, etc, are not the sorts of things I would ever WANT to inflict on anyone.) But, in my moral view, anyone who puts me in physical danger — and leaves me no recourse — is getting put out in the most expedient manner I can manage.

• MCM says:

I expressed those same views concerning size on another MMA site Faust, and got banned for it. I never understood the “weaker” argument either as I’m built like Matt Serra and was always the smaller guy in the fight, didn’t stop anyone from trying to kick my ass.

• AlphaOmega says:

The whole twitter argument ended up being some troll who wanted to start shit saying Bryan called out Ronda, when she instigated the whole thing and he stopped talking to Tate after she pointed that out. I’m torn between it though, I’m firmly and I do mean firmly against women and children being beat for no reason, but I also don’t think it’s right if a woman walks up and hauls off and smacks a dude or racks him when he wasn’t doing anything, just cuz he won’t hit back.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m firmly and I do mean firmly against women and children people being beat for no reason

Fixed that for you. :)

• hindsightufuk says:

i’d punch my mum if she tried to rob me

• AlphaOmega says:

Thank you Faust..although sometimes there’s that certain douche that just needs beat, even if he didn’t do anything.

• Lord Faust says:

Oh, he knows what he did.

And if anyone asks what happened, what do we say?

I uhh… fell… repeatedly… uhhh… because I’m clumsy.

• AlphaOmega says:

Hm didn’t I kinda say the same thing everyone else did? And yet I got only thumbs downs.