Dan Henderson has nothing against Chael Sonnen but still angry about handling of title-shot

Light heavyweights like Lyoto Machida, Mauricio Rua, and Alexander Gustafsson may have been upset about the UFC’s decision to put the division on hold for a few months while title-holder Jon Jones deals with Chael Sonnen on TUF 17 and eventually inside the Octagon this coming April. However, no man had a better claim to a chance at Jones’ championship than Dan Henderson.

Henderson has come out with his hand in four straight fights including wins over Rafael Cavalcante, Renato Sobral, Fedor Emelianenko, and most recently Rua. He’s also a legitimate legend given his past accomplishments and came into the UFC last year while holding Strikeforce’s light heavyweight belt.

The 42-year old spoke out immediately after the UFC announced Sonnen’s shot at Jones, joking about the need to abandon training for “sh*t-talking school”. Now Henderson is back at it, taking things a step further by saying his Team Quest training partner’s elevation to top contender despite no real success at 205 pounds is a black eye on Mixed Martial Arts as a whole.

“I will always (have) love for Chael and don’t blame him for saying yes to a big opportunity,” began Henderson in a recent message on Twitter before stating, “Giving him that fight now degrades the sport of MMA.”

While he may have an opinion on the much-maligned match-up, “Hendo” did not address his own future. That being said, all signs have indicated he will face Machida in the coming months to establish an opponent for the winner of Jones/Sonnen.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I wonder if Chael will have Hendo guest coach or be a asst coach during it, that might be interesting.

• Creature says:

@Alpha i thinking the same thing.. Also curious to see if they would actually fight each other if Chael somehow found a way to beat Jones

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think they would fight if it came to it. Henderson is old school and while they have trained with each other I have never heard either toss out the “like a brother” phrase which means they wont fight.

I doubt it will come to it as I don’t see Sonnen getting past Jones because the talking gets you nowhere once the cage door closes.

• Creature says:

True.. And im one of the many that think he wont win, but i say he makes it interesting for at least two rounds. Chael has proven he can back up the majority of his trash talking nonsense.

Also.. ” the talking gets you nowhere once the cage door closes.”

The Diaz brothers beg to differ 😉

• Richard Stabone says:

Chael has zero chance of beating Jones. No reason to bother speculating there.

The real question is gonna be can Dan get by Machida to set up the matchup all of us actually want to see — Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson, to firmly establish either guy as the greatest American mixed martial artist.

And this is where I’m torn. The logical side of me, trying to be unswayed by emotion, would like to see Hendo win and set up that matchup with Jones. That would be a great fucking fight to watch, with historical implications in the sport of MMA, regardless of outcome.

But the other, somewhat petty side of me would like to see Machida win, spoiling the JBJ-Hendo matchup, and in the process further exposing Dana and the UFC’s short-sighted bullshit handling of this overall situation.

We shall wait & see what ultimately happens. (But Chael has no GD chance of winning; thank you Dana for giving us this matchup.)

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

lol I forgot the Diaz bros.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Why would you give the former Pride and SF LHW champion and winner against Fedor, Babalu, Cavalcante and Rua recently, a title shot when you could give it to a guy like Sonnen?

• Niv says:

Well as the courts don’t like decisions that bring the administration of justice into disrepute, mma fans should be pissed that the UFC keeps making decisions that bring its reputation into disrepute.

I’ve been on record for so many match-ups that make no sense and I agree with Hendo that this decision is crap.

I laughed out loud everytime I heard the UFC hype the Silva vs Bonner fight, and I view this one as a match-up that is ten times worse than that one. Way to go UFC, I have to say I’ve never saved so much money as I just haven’t been buying these cards. Hopefully they start and see a serious dip in revenues and get the message, but that would take fans acting like intelligent people as opposed to being sheeple.