Yesterday the UFC announced the Ultimate Fighter 17 is slated to feature light heavyweight heavyweight champion Jon Jones and outspoken grappler Chael Sonnen as the season’s coaches. The show will be populated by middleweight contestants with the whole thing culminating in an April 27 PPV where “Bones” will put his belt on the line against Sonnen.
Later today, the two will participate in a conference call alongside UFC President Dana White where the trio will discuss the development and upcoming duel. Things fire up at 4:00 PM EST and, as usual, Five Ounces of Pain will be on the line while relaying highlights/quotes from the festivities to our readers as they unfold in real time.
-Decision has nothing to do with finances. I’m just trying to get over this chapter in my career. I think a win over Chael and Henderson will end this Sonnen invasion on my career.
-I just wanted to fight Chael with an appropriate time to train for a championship fight. I believe in every way shape or form that I will win this fight.
-Dr’s Said shouldn’t be training for the next several months. Ill be getting hands on with fighters on the show.
– Two months ago I had the world saying I was afraid of Sonnen. I’m realistic: fans really want it. Does it delegitimize the belt? In some ways, but this has nothing to do with the belt. Chael isn’t getting close to the belt.
– Izzy Martinez will be my wrestling coach, but I will probably be bringing my original coaches that brought me up.
– Sonnen’s true talent is the gift of gab, not sports talent.
-Sonnen wasn’t a real Olympian he was an alternate. I don’t care if he takes me off . When it comes to wrestling he has nothing for me. If he takes me down so what. Im good on my back, and Chael is submitted from the top all of the time.
-I think TRT is terrible. Everyone would hate me if I did it. it’s not right that Chael gets to take it and feel like a 20 something athlete again
– Doing TUF is a tremendous nuisance.
– This is a 32 man tournament and its the toughest part of the sport. The toughest tournament is coming to FX.
-I dont turn down fights, and not one of them stepped up. Welcome to life, we don’t “deserve” things – you get what you get. No one told Dana “let me fight Chael. ”
– Jon Jones is the best fighter I have seen. He has techniques that I dont even know the name of. Good for him, but he needs me. Jones hasn’t beat anyone until he beats me. He beat that glorified Hollywood extra: Rampage.
– I’ve been on both sides of an asswhooping. Im going in there to fight, and he has only fought fighters who were timid.
– I’ll take his belt right now if I want it. He continues to beat no ones. Jon may be the guy but he isn’t yet.
– Weight doesn’t make a difference to me. I just want to fight Jon Jones. The only one de legitimize the belt is the brat holding it.
– Of course things will be off limits. I’m not picking a fight, I’ve got a fight. Jon uses terms like disrespectful, but who cares about it.
– I will take down Jon repeatedly. (Jones laughs)
– We got word Jon was hurt. It made sense for him to do TUF, and others could fight. Jon wanted the fight, and it made sense.
– No date set for show’s premier
– Every single guy who is bitching about this had an opportunity to fight Sonnen. We will have an absolute number one contender when this is over.
– All the guys who are pissed off about this fight, turned down this fight.
–They said Henderson wouldn’t be ready for a few weeks and had to pull the trigger on this.
– There will be changes to the format.
– When Diaz gets off suspension, he’ll get a fight against a top 170-pounder.
– We start filming in October.
– Show will move off of Friday nights, a weekday. An announcement will come in the next month or so, but Spike should watch their ass.
-We have the best casting we have ever had, and we have very big expectations for the show.
– Clearly Spike has been dogging us with trying to create viewer confusion, and passing off new contnt. They will be out of the UFC game in January, and they will do a reality in show soon. We will remember what they did when it comes time to scheduling.
– We want to find the best place for this product to make it work. We like working with the UFC.
– I don’t want to hear any bitching out of any of you. All the top contenders we called turned down the fight with Jon Jones. Chael Sonnen was the only one who accepted the fight.
– Ratings will be epic.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC