Fedor Emelianenko returns November 12 against Jeff Monson

In the first nine years of his career Fedor Emelianenko racked up 31 wins and emerged as the man many felt was the best heavyweight to have ever graced the sport. In the last two years, Emelianenko hasn’t had his hand raised a single time while tripling his total number of losses over the period and is now viewed as a shell of his former self, even a fraud.

“The Last Emperor” will attempt to take his first step back towards reclaiming the divisional crown on November 12 at a M-1 Global event in his native Russia with submission-grappling ace Jeff Monson standing in his way of appeasing the hometown crowd. Monson announced the fight via Twitter.

Monson recently had an eight-fight winning streak snapped by undefeated Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier but holds an overall record of 42-12 with 26 tap-outs to show for his in-ring efforts. Among the opponents “The Snowman” has beaten are a number of notable adversaries including Roy Nelson and Sergei Kharitonov.

As impressive as Monson’s past accomplishments may be they pale in comparison to Emelianenko’s body of work who followed up an epic run in PRIDE featuring wins over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic with another five victories after the Japanese promotion folded.  However, since scoring a TKO over Brett Rogers in November 2009, Emelianenko has fallen in three straight with the once-unimaginable stretch involving a submission loss and two strike-based stoppages.

No other bouts for the M-1 event were revealed though more are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

Also interesting, the show’s date coincides with the UFC’s debut on FOX highlighted by heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez’s live title-defense against Brazilian bomber Junior dos Santos.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am still having trouble wrapping my mind around how quickly Herb Dean stopped Fedor in his last fight and how long he let Dan Miller get pummeled by Palharis. I dont think it was a consperacy or anything just that Fedor could have been given a little more leway. This should be a good rebound fight for Fedor though.

• Batman says:

I agree with you fanoftna that stoppage just really got under my skin. Fedor can take a beating so just let him fight. silva smashed him and he still kept fighting.

Do you guys really think Fedor was doing anything more then taking a few more unanswered shots from Hendo?
    Could he have continued a moment or 2 more sure I guess… would it have changed the outcome of the fight aside from taking on more damage? No.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rece, I wouldnt say he would have come back and won the fight but I think he doese deserve the oppertunity especially after seeing how much Herb gave to Miller after he had been pounded on for 5 minutes. Like I said I dont think it is a big consperacy or anything just Herb jumped the gun a bit.

• THEGUNNER says:

If monson beats fedor is it cause god wants monson to win or does it mean fedors done?

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

yawn.

Fedor is done. Does it matter if he wins or loses this fight?

Prolly not cause all the rabid Fedor fan boys can’t accept that his time has come and gone.

If he gets beat this time what excuse will be found? Ref stopped too early? maybe god forgot to tell Fedor not to block punches with his face?

Face it Fedor can’t hang with the elite any more he might be able to win another title in some 3rd tier promotion against some can but, who really cares?

Maybe Randy Coture saw something several years ago that the rest of us are just now seeing?

• Angry Mike says:

So which commie do I want to win this? Hmmm. Fedor seems like a decent sort, so I’ll go with him.

• Rich S. says:

This is actually a fight I’ve wanted to see for a while.

And now it seems Monson has a bit more of a chance.

Should be interesting.

• MCM says:

Agreed Rich S. I was calling for Monson to step in for Affliction 3.

I think their ground games cancel each other out, but Fedor is better on the feet and should be able to pick up the Dec win. The odd thing is, even though Fedor is on a 3 fight skid, if Jeff can pull off the win, that boosts his ranking tremendously.

• adamsfamily says:

Are there really any true commies anymore?

I thought we were all dollar/Yuan/Euro/Yen/Pound worshipping media slaves handcuffed to our screens to see which paid stooge is wheeled out to fall on his sword for our amusement.

Maybe still in cuba?

• Angry Mike says:

The remark was a comment on Monson, not geopolitics.

• Guthookd says:

Fedor wins via bitch slap.

• adamsfamily says:

I know it wasnt Mike, just being glib and sarcastic. Its an englishmans right – dont you know old boy.

I dont know monsons poilitics but I remember reading he protested and graffitied somewhere?