Inaugural UFC on FOX event to be one hour

The UFC on FOX debut is quickly approaching and with the new details of the event, it’ll be quickly over. Details came about that the November 12 event on FOX will only last one hour and feature two live fights. That event will still feature a full slate of preliminary fights, which will be streamed on Facebook.

Las Vegas Sun first reported the details.

The one hour time-slot is due in large part to the fact that one of boxing’s top PPV draws, Manny Pacquiao, will be fighting Juan Manuel Marquez on that same night. A big fan of the boxing and Pacquiao, Dana White doesn’t want to run head-to-head against the boxing superstar.

Speaking to the Las Vegas Sun, UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta said, ““We’ll be out of there before Pacquiao even walks to the ring. This is going to be a perfect night for any fight fan. Get together with your friends, watch two big fights in the UFC and then change the channel to ride into the Pacquiao pay-per-view.”

Due to the short time slot, fans can expect the action to be nonstop. “It’s going to literally be back-to-back action,” said Fertitta. “We aren’t going to mess around with a lot of pre-fight commentary, post-fight commentary. We are going to roll right in, set up the fights and let the action go.”

The event is scheduled to go live on FOX at 9PM EST. While no venue has been officially announced, it is rumored that Anaheim, California will play host to the historic event. Dustin Poirier vs. Pablo Garza was the first fight announced for the event.

• edub says:

Are you the only writer on this site now?

Brendhan Conlan is still here… Him and Lambert are still the dynamic duo that keeps the 5oz fam in the know.

So much talk about what 2 fights are going to be on the fox televised portion of the night… The possibilities are slim Pickings but there’s def talent available- who do u guys think make good match ups for those 2 fights for that one hour first impression??

• edub says:

Yep, I read the first 5 articles on the page, and commented. Should wait til I saw the sixth.

• Guthookd says:

Brock Lesnar. Straight up viewer ratings.

• hindsightufuk says:

ARE ALL FOX EVENTS gonna be 1 hour? if not why rush into a date against one of the most popular boxers in the world and utilise just one hour? why is Lorenzo sucking up to Pacquiao, Zuffa never sucks up to anyone unless it benefits them?
    what is MMA over saturation? fucking soccer knob jockeys got their shit on every fucking channel 7 days a fucking week, even during off season i still see that shit. If MMA gets shown every night of the week i’m gonna be stoked, how can you get too much of something you love? if my girl wants me to cum on her face every single day of the week fuck yes i’m gonna do it, sure as shit wont be giving a fuck about damned over saturation. maybe instead of wasting 10 prelims on some fuck arse website they can get shown on live tv to the masses instead. ultimate fight nights and ufc on versus are starting to piss me off, 3 hour shows and only 4 or 5 fights shown, no matter if you have 5 first/secondstoppages, still just 4 or 5 fights. no love for the prelims. and still no love for the smaller guys, still being wasted in prelims of shows no fucker is gonna see unless you use facebook. fucking hate it, i wanna see every single fight in high def, at least as higher def as i can see. and watching internet streams isnt good enough
    and fuck yes i’m mad, catering for 9 members of someone elses family fucking up my shit for 5 days, fucking kids grabbing on my toys like they’re toys, fuck yes i’m mad

• Niv says:

Personally I think this is a poor way to kick this thing off, find another date and give a proper card on network tv.

Sorry Hindsight I tried to read your post but you lost me there a bit, but I don’t do Facebook and couldn’t give a shit about it, I’ll find other ways to watch the fights.

Either way it’s a big deal that the UFC got a network deal but I hope this will be its only anomaly and not something that becomes a trend.

The big what if to a 2 card main event is, what if both fights end in under a minute, then what?

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I was out of town from Thursday PM until Sunday PM. Back now.

• elsicilian says:

Actually I think this is a pretty good move … by debuting right before the pacquiao fight, they can put a bite-sized version of the product in front of a huge captive fight audience who might otherwise not watch MMA. It will guarantee good debut numbers FOX without the expense of a really big production (ie. it can be a Fight Night caliber card).

• elsicilian says:

@Niv, if the 2 fights end quickly, they will simply re-broadcast fights from the undercard, same as usual.