Marloes Coenen and other Golden Glory fighters cut from Zuffa payroll

The fallout from Alistair Overeem’s recent refusal to fight in September and release from Strikeforce shortly thereafter appears to have claimed a trio of new victims including a recent title-holder, a Grand Prix alternate, and even a fighter who calls the UFC home coming off a “Fight of the Night” performance.

According to the head coach at Overeem’s place of pugilistic preparation, Martin de Jong of Golden Glory, Zuffa has handed pink-slips to Marloes Coenen, as well as brother of Alistair Valentijn Overeem and the UFC’s John Einemo. De Jong revealed the shocking news through his Twitter account where he expressed disappointment but stopped short of explaining why he felt the decision had been made.

All three fighters were coming off losses in their most-recent performances, opening the door for contractual release, but the move still caught many in the MMA community off-guard with Coenen especially standing out. The former Strikeforce bantamweight champ had gone 2-1 since dropping to 135-pounds with wins over Sarah Kaufman and Liz Carmouche but fell short against Miesha Tate this past weekend, tapping to an Arm-Triangle choke midway through the fourth frame.

The only remaining Golden Glory fighter on either the UFC or Strikeforce’s roster remains Sergei Kharitonov who faces Josh Barnett this September in the semifinal round of the Strikeforce World Grand Prix. Though the bout was certainly important to Kharitonov before it now appears as though a “must win” label as been attached to it in terms of maintaining his employment with Zuffa.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Angry Mike says:

The release of Coenen surprises me. I wonder if Zuffa is going to drop women’s mma altogether. That’s one plausible explanation.

The release of Overeem isn’t a complete shock. He looked pretty mediocre against Werdum. Also, he’s pretty hard to schedule, so maybe he’s a bit of a prima donna. And let’s not forget the whole question about how and why he bulked up so much over the years.

As far as Valentijn goes, he’s 29 and 26 and looked really bad against Griggs in his last outing. No reason to keep him that I can think of.

• Guthookd says:

Well, if Zuffa does drop women’s MMA I hope Bellator picks it up. We need a new challenger for Zoila’s belt anyway and I think Maloes fits the bill, though I can’t recall Zoila’s weight division right now. Sarah is just awesome and I dont know how any MMA fan could say anything bad about her, and Meisha is equally awesome. I personally love women’s MMA and I’ll support it forever.

Look Overeem left them with a bad taste in there mouth, coenen didn’t show up to a presser, V.Overeem makes journeymen look like contenders, JOE got a Lil bit of a raw deal but he’s guilty by association, Sergei will get cut 2 if he losses to Barnett. I heard GG mgt makes the promotions pay them and redisperse the payroll to there fighters for tax purposes, sounds crazy and just another bs thing for Zuffa to deal with soo u got a # of issues including the fact GG puts on there own mma cards… Zuffa had enough… Play the game or go home & take your friends with you. It’s business.

• fanoftna33 says:

Complete schoolyard BS. There guy Overeem turned down a date so Zuffa has to puff there chest out and fire everybody but Karatoniv. How stupid.

Yeah how stupid…

A champ whom barely defended his title wouldn’t step up for his boss on sept 10 but was ready to sign on for event 2 weeks later in Oct. ??? Cmon that’s BS

Coenen another champ no shows a presser for a very important womens mma match when womens mma is at a cross roads… Classy!

The others were collateral damage and they can thank the 2 former champs above or they can thank themselves for losing there last fights no saving grace or life line after that

Look from a decency point of view yeah it’s harsh BUT from a business mindset it’s acceptable. Gotta play the game or go home

• fanoftna33 says:

I am sure Coenn is not the first person to lose a fight and no show a presser (anybody remember Griffen from the presser after Silva koed him). Not a good reason to drop somebody.
    Overeem having a cracked rib and turning down a fight is bad and with his track record I completly understand them not dealing with him.
    GG may be a bit of a pain but they cant be as bad as M-1, and if the UFC can stand behind a drugged up convicted felon why cant they toleate a bit of a high maintenence trainer?
    You do make probably the only point that matters though Rece- if it was just a business decision it is completly acceptable but this seems to be much more than a business decision.

• MCM says:

I’m actually most surprised by the release of J.O.E. I admit that I didn’t think he should have been in the UFC to start with, but he came in and won F.O.T.N. and looked good doing it. In a still very shallow HW division, a big, entertaining, world class grappler should have a place. Besides, most fans didn’t even associate Einemo with Overeem. Ah, well.

I hope you’re right Guthookd. I really hope Belator is seeing all the potential in womens MMA since Dana isn’t.

I think DW sees the potential in womens mma I think he just isnt willing to wait around for a product that even at it’s very best will still be a small money maker and draw…
    WNBA isn’t a massive draw or money maker
    Womens softball is huge and it just got the boot from the olympics not that long ago
    Womens boxing fizzled quickly still around but who cares?
    Some of womens biggest sports figures are tennis players and golfers… What does that tell you if your a business man thinking about adding pro female divisions to your promotion… Probably not gonna make you any money so how do you justify paying them anything worth fighting for??
    I’m a fan of WMMA but I’m not gonna fool myself and think I’m going to see this huge void when it’s gone… It’s barely here to begin with.

• hindsightufuk says:

maybe if someone tried really promoting WMMA it would work? Some of the biggest fights on Strikeforce involved Gina or Cris Cyborg, if a promotion puts the same effort into promoting WMMA as an intirety instead of a couple of fighters….
    i’d rather see a promotion at least attempt to promote it than just saying ah it’ll be like womens boxing and we don’t care about that so fuck it.
    you may call yourself a realist, i call it a pessimist

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What the fuck did I tell everyone?!
    The UFC buying Strikeforce is bad news and getting worse.
    I hate ZUFFA.

• JBAR says:

I don’t think the problem with WMMA is a lack of promotion, it is a lack of skilled competitors. Gina vs Cyborg was a big fight but for the most part the divisions are so thin that in a couple years you have cleaned your division out of any credible challengers. Some of the top women are very skilled fighters and I enjoy watching them fight but it seems that there is a huge and abrupt drop off in talent when you get outside the top 3 or 4. This leaves you with fights that look like Anderson Silva vs a TUF first round loser and nobody wants to watch that. I hope WMMA hangs on and more women get involved but right now the talent pool is not there for a long term financial commitment.

JBAR gets it…

• To a really minor extent I agree with MMA Logic…this sucks, this sucks terribly…except for the Overeems….
    The Python sucks depending on what night you get him..and then he really sucks, hes dead payroll weight. Alistair we all know the story and we all know where i stand on that. He can continue to fight primarily cans and hang out in japan for all I care. A toe injury(I hadnt heard anything about a rib Fanoftna so if thats what it really is….i’ll drop it) and then he goes on to do an interview and states he wont fight due to the date because he doesnt want to…take it or leave it.

Coenen should’ve showed up to the presser and I would love to see more WMMA….but i wont cry about it if it leaves our field of vision. Its not a constant to begin with. I can see that as a reason to bounce her…Forrest got mauled and makes the company alot of money…she fought a great fight and lost and well…doesnt. Most people would be fired if they didnt make a scheduled appearance.

Einemo…that sucks…his fight with Herman was great.

FYI… just some further insight in what goes on… this is from another mma news site:

“This is actually a pretty simple explanation,” White told reporters after the UFC 133 pre-fight press conference. “If you look back throughout history, we haven’t had any Golden Glory guys fight with us since Semmy Schilt, right? And the reason is, we have very different business practices. It’s tough to do business with them.

“The bottom line is, the way that they do business is, you have to pay them, not the fighters. We don’t work that way. It’s not the way we do business. It’s not how it works here in the United States with the athletic commissions. You don’t pay the managers and the managers pay the fighters. You pay the fighters and the fighters pay the managers.”

For her part, Coenen told ESPN’s Josh Gross that being paid by Golden Glory is how she preferred it for tax reasons, and that’s precisely why they do things the way they do, but White says that simply isn’t how they’re going to do business. And in the case of Einemo, they played it the UFC’s way and allowed him to be paid directly, but in losing his fight and them having overall difficulties with Golden Glory, he found himself on the chopping block.

“We can’t do business with those guys the way that they do it,” White reiterated. “There’s a lot of places throughout the world they can do business like that; it’s not a big deal for the promoters. We can’t do it. It’s not right. It’s not the right way to do it.”

“Well, the reality is, we’re trying to work out these deals with these guys and they won’t do it. They said, ‘You absolutely cannot pay the fighters. You have to pay us.’ Like I said, it’s pretty simple to look back. The last guy to fight in UFC was Semmy Schilt, that was a Golden Glory guy. There’s a reason for that.”

Golden Glory has one remaining fighter on Zuffa’s roster in Sergei Kharitonov, who will meet Josh Barnett in the semifinals of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix in September. White said they are honoring his deal because his fights in the Grand Prix have him being paid directly, but when it comes back to negotiating for another deal it will likely mark the end of his run in the organization.