Houston Alexander returns August 13 against Razak Al-Hassan in Albuquerque

Former UFC slugger Houston Alexander will look for a fourth straight win next weekend at “MMA Fight Pit: Genesis” when he takes on 11-3 grappler “Razor” Razak Al-Hassan, a submission specialist perhaps best remembered for a bout against Steve Cantwell at a 2008 UFC event where he refused to tap to an Armbar and subsequently suffered a dislocated elbow for his gutsy showing. Their match-up will be featured on a card alongside a co-headlining clash between Jens Pulver and Ox Wheeler.

“The Assassin” hasn’t lost in more than a year while racking up a trio of wins including a strike-based stoppage of Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou at Shark Fights 13. The TKO was the eighth of the 12-6 brawler’s career and put Sokoudjou alongside the likes of Alessio Sakara and Keith Jardine.

However, Al-Hassan doesn’t seem too concerned about Alexander’s stand-up regardless of what he’s seen in the past.

“I feel very comfortable on my feet or on the ground in a fight,” explained the 29-year old light heavyweight. “I don’t dictate where the fight goes…I let my opponent do that.”

Al-Hassan has won four of his last fight fights and has ten finishes in his eleven total victories.

• Guthookd says:

Shit man, I’ll watch it. Keep up the good work Houston. He’s given us some exciting fights and I appreciate that. Razor is no joke though; should be a good fight if HA can keep it standing for a while.

Same for Jens. Fight till you die man. OX has been doing the casino thing for so long, this represents a good opportunity for him.

Not a bad card, but the words “only on PPV” suck bad. Should be “only free on youtube” really, since that’s where we’re all going to see the fights anyway.

• fanoftna33 says:

Razak looked like a pretty solid fighter so I think this looks like a good fight.

• MCM says:

“Not a bad card, but the words “only on PPV” suck bad. ”

I thought the words Junie Browning and Jamie Yager were the worst part. :)

I also thought putting a guy named Razak Al-Hassan on a Fight for the Troops card was pretty classless. I think he’s a good fighter and can someday work his way back to the UFC. I’m rooting for him.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

MCM, are you implying there aren’t American troops of Islamic faith? Do you even know if he practices Islam or are you just judging based on his name? Pretty disappointing viewpoint from you in that post.

• MCM says:

I’m implying that he was set up by the UFC as a “bad guy” because of his name. I have no idea what religion (if any) he practices and I don’t really care. As stated, I think he’s a good fighter and I’ll be rooting for him. But I don’t think it’s out of the question to presume that a company like the UFC that goes all out in its support of the U.S. military, especially the Marines, would cast a fighter with such a Middle Eastern sounding name in the role of “heal”. It’s not a dig on Mr. Al-Hassan or Islam or the U.S. military. It’s a dig on the stereo types occasionally perpetrated by the UFC.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Ah, my misunderstanding. I thought you meant was classless to have a guy with “Muslim sounding” name on the card at all. I’m not sure he was cast as a heel per say but I get what you’re saying. I appreciate the clarification!

• MCM says:

No worries Brendhan, it’s all love at the 5oz house. :)

I hope you Both Enjoy your Ramadan… 😉