Cung Le content with acting but open to the UFC

Though it may feel like it has been forever since Cung Le was seen in a cage, the dynamic middleweight has actually fought more recently than Rashad Evans. However, with only a trio of fights to his name since 2008 questions remain on whether Le will ever return to the ring or if the 39-year old has given up Mixed Martial Arts for a budding film career.

Now fans have an answer.

The issue was addressed by Le in a recent conversation with MMAWeekly where he stamped his future in fighting with an “if” related to a fairly big requirement.

“I know for a fact that if I do fight again, it’s going to be in the UFC,” began the stand-up artist with the striking skills to paint the Sistine Chapel. “I would love to fight in San Jose for the UFC and for Dana White and Lorenzo (Fertitta).”

UFC 139 is rumored to be taking place on November 19 in the familiar stomping ground of Le’s current employer with a headlining bout between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos.

Le made it clear he meant no disrespect to Strikeforce, the organization all eight of his MMA fights have occurred in, but was ready to finish his career on the sport’s biggest stage. He also appeared at ease with his decision regardless of how the future unfolds.

“If it happens, great, I’m training right now,” said the 7-1 former champion. “If it doesn’t, I’m going to be in good shape for my next movie.”

A decorated, undefeated San Shou kickboxer as well, Le has stopped all seven of the opponents he’s beaten in Strikeforce with strikes including wins over Frank Shamrock and most recently Scott Smith in mid-2010.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• stone says:

Cung Le sucks…. In the UFC’s 185 division, I can probably name 10 fighters better than him.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would love to see Cung Le vs Lawler but I guess that will not happen as Lawler is already fighting this weekend. Maybe if the UFC picks him up he could face the axe murderer.

• climbarock says:

I’d like to see Cung Le in the UFC. He’s got a great, fan-friendly fighting style, even if (IMO) he won’t be a real contender. It was a pleasure to watch him dismantle Frank Shamrock.

• While I also doubt Cung would ever be a top tier middleweight in the UFC I could think of some seriously fun fights involving him. Some names that pop into my head are Alan Belcher, Akiyama, Wanderlei, Leben, Bisping and Mayhem.

• YetiLee says:

I have seen his films, he should stick to fighting.

• Dufresne says:

I have seen his films, he should stick to fighting.

The only thing I can say about Cung Le is that he lets loose & just throws the kitchen sink at opponents… he isn’t a contender and isn’t going to really make an impact anywhere BUT he def. can make the fans happy if he’s paired up with another exciting striker as mentioned above. He doesn’t need Steven Seagal training to pull off some ridiculous kicks.

• captchaos says:

Cung and Leben would be fun. Leben is from up around that way too!