Brandon Vera returns to the Octagon at UFC 137 against Eliot Marshall

After a ten month hiatus from competition Brandon Vera will finally step back into the ring with Ultimate Fighter 8 alumnus Eliot Marshall looking to squash to the Californian’s hopes of returning to form after a string of losses temporarily cost “The Truth” his job earlier this year. The two light heavyweights, who are both in need of a win to secure their continued employment with the organization, will face off at UFC 137 as part of a lineup featuring welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre taking on top contender Nick Diaz in the main event.

News of the October 29 pairing was announced by the UFC over the weekend.

Vera’s last fight came on New Year’s Day against Thiago Silva where he was outpointed, then subsequently released based on back-to-back defeats prior to the performance, before being given a reprieve when it came to light Silva had used steroids in preparation for the match-up. The lanky light heavyweight hasn’t won since August 2009 when he beat Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 102 meaning the stakes are clearly “do or die” this fall.

The 10-3 Marshall also finds himself in a similar position after receiving a pink-slip late last year, then getting another opportunity as a late replacement for the injured Karlos Vemola at UFC 129 against Luiz Cane who ultimately knocked the affable 31-year old out a few minutes into the first frame. With a full camp to prepare for Vera, Marshall will look to build on a 3-2 record in the UFC with wins over Jason Brilz and Vinny Magalhaes.

Other bouts scheduled for UFC 137 include surging welterweight Carlos Condit taking on former double-division champ B.J. Penn, highly-ranked heavyweight Frank Mir against TUF 10 winner Roy Nelson, and undefeated Matt Mitrione duking it out with French kickboxer Cheick Kongo.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

It’s just a matter of time for these guys regardless of who wins the fight. I just don’t see either of them hanging around in the long term.

• hindsightufuk says:

two fighters who have no business in MMA’s top organization, i hope its a bore draw so both fuckers get dropped instantly

• Creature says:

I honestly think Vera is gonna get his shit together and show us that raw talent he once had back at HW.. might be just wishful thinking tho 😛 and also.. Frank Mir vs Roy Nelson..? haha my money is on Mir bye Dec and Roy having walking Pneumonia 😉

• TSU21 says:

Both will get thier walking papers soon, but im surprise nobody caught that error in this artile…mir vs nelson…we just saw that and whats even funnier is the dude that gave his predictions on that fight when they already fought to a boring ud for mir…nelson is fighing cro cop by the way but way to go with your prediction creature lol, you should put some money on that

• THEGUNNER says:

Brandon vera sucks whays next 4 injuries and veras in the main event? 5 oz shouldnt of even mention it.

• MCM says:

I do not get the hate for Eliot Marshal. It’s not just this board, but others as well. I think Eliot is a tough fighter. Sure he got KO’d in his last bout, but he also took Vlady to a split, and Matyushenko is a top 10-15 lhw. I think Marshal looses the stand up in the first then gets the fight to the ground and pulls off the sub in the second.

• fanoftna33 says:

Getting KOED by Cain on short notice is not the end of the world by any means. Both these guys have a good chance to impress here and I am really hoping to see vera back to form.

• locoRover says:

Goin out on a limb tsu, but I’m pretty sure creature knoWs that mir Nelson happened. Haha

• Creature says:

Loco knows what hes talking about lol i clearly knew it already happened, and that Roy stated after the fight he had Pneumonia.. thought it was obvious i was just pointing out the mistake.. but i guess to one person it wasnt 😉

• stone says:

I like both these guys… I think the UFC should keep’em both after this fight… The way everyone is gettin injured, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep’em for prelims and last minute injuries… I’ve never been bored watching a Brandon Vera fight!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Forgive me ahead of time-but I think this is a shitfest-Should have been a headliner for a future SF challengers(reject) show

• TSU21 says:

Now I feel like an azz….my bad creature lol