Mirko “Cro Cop” receives what is likely to be final UFC bout against Roy Nelson in October

A gigantic heavyweight showdown is in the works as The Ultimate Fighter 10 winner Roy Nelson is set to take on the PRIDE 06 Openweight GP champion Mirko Cro Cop. With both men on two fight losing streaks, it could be the last time we see the loser in the octagon for the time being. The heavyweight tilt is scheduled for UFC 137 in late October.

Mirko first made the announcement of the fight on the Croatian sports show “Gol” and Nelson later confirmed the fight on his twitter account.

A former IFL heavyweight champion, “Big Country” got off to a fast start in his UFC career, knocking out Brendan Schaub and Stefan Struve in his first two UFC bouts. He’s run into trouble in his last two fights though, dropping unanimous decisions to top heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos last August and to former heavyweight champ Frank Mir this past May. After the loss to Mir, UFC President Dana White suggested that Nelson lose some weight and abandon the large gut that he’s become known for. While we may not see a slimmer Nelson grace the cage in October, we hope to see a healthier and better conditioned Nelson, who was suffering from walking pneumonia the night he fought Mir.

Many thought the career of Cro Cop was over after suffering another KO loss to Schaub at UFC 128 in March. White said after the bout that Mirko was done in the UFC, but with one fight left on his current contract and the desire to still compete, it appears that he’ll be given one more chance to prove that he has something left in the tank. Once the most feared striker in the heavyweight division, Mirko has fallen on hard times in the UFC, posting a 4-5 record with four of his five losses coming by way of (T)KO.

UFC 137 is scheduled for October 29 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada. Along with the “do or die” heavyweight contest, UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre looks to defend his title once again against former Strikeforce welterweight king Nick Diaz.

• Dufresne says:

Not a great match-up for Cro Cop. Roy has a chin evidently made from adamantium, serious power in his hands, and a top level ground game. Cro Cop has better striking technique, but his chin is getting squishy and his ground game has never been anything to write home about.
    I could be surprised, and I’d love to see Cro Cop go out with a win, but I don’t see it happening. I see Roy wrestling Cro Cop down and tapping him out.

• MCM says:

Agreed Dufresne. Either that or Roy gets the KO from that big overhand right he uses to set up his shots.

• stone says:

Ok, Roy SHOULD win this! BUUUUT, What if?… What if CroCop wins with a KO? Should fat country then be cut? I think so! GO CRO-COP!!!!

• hindsightufuk says:

mirko has only ever been submitted once in his career, i dont see that changing with roy, if anything the ground game is all mirko has left of his dying career, i want to see him gnp more often

• silkshot61 says:

Dufresne,

love the wolverine reference

It’s a damn shame Mirko has to go out like this. I still stand firm that Big Country is the most underrated fighter in this company. He’s one of the only people to ever take JDS head on and not get ktfo, the other being Carwin. MIrko has a punchers chance but that is about it. I can see Roy taking this to the ground and pounding him out just to err on the side of caution to ensure his place in the company. This having been said I don’t believe that Dana has ever hated someone as much as Roy, ok maybe Tito, and I honestly believe he is being treated unfairly. Yeah he has the physique of my old highschool shop teacher but dude is good. Look at his loses are you really going to boot him after taking bombs from the number one contender and then fighting a former champion even though he was sick? I call foul good sir…

I like Roy but he needs to seriously consider doing something about the weight…and it’s not about vanity it’s about cardio and his speed… they guy is good he could be that much better if he conditioned himself better… Sounds silly but he should go to deathclutch and have Brocks boys show him how to become a well conditioned Big man…

• MCM says:

you mean like Chris Tuscherer? :)

I still think Roy could make 185 if he tried. He’s got at least 50bls of fat on him. And that’s why Dana hates him. Dana has been talking up the physicality and conditioning of MMA athletes of other professional athletes for years, and along comes Big Country being the exception to the rule. I agree with you silkshot61 that Dana is has it out for Roy, but I personally think he’s fighting at the level he deserves. If he can’t hack it, then he should look for a different org.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think cro cop has a much better chance than most are giving him. Mirko’s takedown defense is really good and Roy’s takedowns are not really great so this will most likely be a striking bout and Cro Cop is still pretty fast so unles Roy catches him I think Mirko can get a decision here.