UPDATE: Lyoto Machida out as possible replacement for injured Phil Davis at UFC 133

For the second time in as many months the UFC has been left scrambling to fill a headlining slot at an event around the corner, though this time around the company has at least been given more than a day to fill the void rather than be forced to pull Charlie Brenneman out of their hat at the last second.

According to a multiple reports, undefeated 205er Phil Davis has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout with Rashad Evans at UFC 133 after suffering an undisclosed knee injury in training. MMAFighting was the first to relay news of the pending change to the August 6 lineup where it was also stated the UFC is expected to announce a replacement in the next few days.

In a related story, Brazilian publication Tatame has cited Lyoto Machida’s wife as informing them her husband was offered a rematch with Evans but had not decided on whether or not he would accept it given the turnaround time. The two former title-holders first fought in 2009 at UFC 98 where Machida knocked Evans out in the second round to win the UFC light heavyweight belt.

UPDATE: It has since been reported she’s come forward to say her husband has declined the short-notice fight.

Regardless of who Evans is paired against in Philadelphia, it appears the 15-1 Ultimate Fighter season-winner will now receive his third scheduled opponent after injuries claimed his first two foes, Davis and current champion Jon Jones. Adding another layer of difficulty to the situation, the bout also marks the first in-ring appearance for “Sugar” ‘Shad since beating Quinton Jackson more than a year ago at UFC 114.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

I’d love to see Rashad vs Machida II, but I doubt it will happen. Instead I see Rashad and Tito finally settling things. It’s not like either owns a win over the other.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Tito already came out and said he was offered the fight but turned it down (that peaking at the right moment was crucial for him rather than taking something at this point in his career on short notice).

Yeah if I was Tito I wouldn’t step into that fight on short notice either…

Rashad/Machida sounds good guess we’ll have to wait and see if it can come together… If not who else is available currently?

• locoRover says:

Read machida-Evans is happening. This fight is one that should happen and makes more sense than Davis-Evans as far as title implications go. Davis is prolly 2 fights away, so if he won it woulda messed up the division more. A rashad win over Davis isn’t exactly the best way to earn a shot either.

A win by either shad or machida legitimizes a claim for either man at the jones-Jackson winner. As much as I wanna see rashad do the stanky leg again, look for him to do what he’s been doin since the loss to lyoto and utilize his wrestling.. The fight will be determined by machidas ability to stop the shot and get hands and knees on Evans. I think he’ll do it and take out shad in the second or third, just less brilliantly.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont blame Tito a bit, he just came off a huge win and taking a fight in 3 weeks against Rashad would be a very tough situation. Even for Lyoto I think this is pretty even as he only has 3 weeks to get ready.

• king mah mah says:

I do like this match better, but I think Rashad was going to lose to either man. I think Machida will take Rashad out even faster. I know he’s been watching Rashad and will have a way better gameplan than Rashad could come up with. The three week notice shouldn’t matter much to Machida because he’s probably always in great shape and he didn’t take any damage at all against Randy.

Tito vs Forrest makes more sense right now for Tito. Plus it’s an easy sell for the UFC. It’s a trilogy that needs to happen with both having one win over each other and both fights being a split decision. If there was ever a need for a rubber match, this is it right here.

• MCM says:

Just read more on this and it doesn’t look like Machida is a done deal yet. Tito is out, Hamill is out, T. Silva is out, Bader is out, Rampage and Jones are booked, as are Forrest and Rua. Who else is there? If Machida doesn’t take this fight, their gonna have to find a new Main Event and push Rashad off the card.

• king mah mah says:

Good. Didn’t like Rashad headlining to begin with! LOL

• Dufresne says:

I like Lyoto v Rashad better than Rashad v Howard anyways. I would love to see Rashad do the stanky leg again.

• locoRover says:

Wow if machida doesn’t take the fight it will suck for rashad. Just continuing to make that decision to shelf himself for shogun look more and more foolish.

• Man Rashad just cant catch a break can he? and I for one find this hilarious. He should’ve just fought Shogun, win or lose at least he was in the public eye. I think its time for Rashad to go to the back of the line, its not fair but neither is life. In combat sports unless you’re an all time great like Randy Couture you cant dissapear for almost two years and not expect your stock to slide. Especially in the shark tank that is 205 Personally I think Sugar has one option to accept whatever fight they hand him for this and do his best to win it. Otherwise hes at the back of the line his record be damned.

• Guthookd says:

Damn, this is a bitch. I really want to see Phil get tested. Hi last fight wasn’t that great, but the dude doesn’t loose. Love to see him up against Rashad or any of the other well known LHWs. I hope he heals up fast and does his rehab right.

As for Rashad..they’ll find someone for him. I’m not worrying about that.

• THEGUNNER says:

This could be good for rashad being booked with bones jones and davis and they both got injutrd pulled out and hes still healthy ready to fight. From my experince watching ufc they love the guy who can stay healthy, maintain a decent record, and perform in fights from a job perspective hes a good employee. All he needs is a dominating win and here comes a title shot.

• MCM says:

What about Luis Cane or the Janitor? Are either of them available? Rashad vs. Vlady would be a good fight IMO.

• bigbadjohn says:

I’m a Rashad fan, always have been. I’d like to see him up against a wrestler or a jiu jitsu fighter. Suga has good hand speed, head movement, and power in his hands – I miss watching him fight guys that weren’t such prolific strikers (Machida, Thiago, Quinton ) which forces him to use a heavy wrestling gameplan. Tito would be perfect, or Bader (minus his getting KO’d recently), or of course as it was to be a week ago, Phil Davis.

• stone says:

Personally, I think Tito vs Evans WILL happen… Dana can guarantee Tito another fight regardless of the outcome, just to save the main event… Tito would probably then accept the easy pay day… Rashad might or might not end up losing a decision to Tito & then suddenly they can sell a Tito vs Lyoto 2 or Lyoto vs Evans 2…. Its almost one of the easiest problems to solve…. Just give Tito a 2 fight deal & keep on moving along…. Truth is Tito vs Evans is the best fight for the both of them at this point of their careers & the best fight for the both “hardcore” & “casual” fans

• stone says:

TODAY, Tito vs Rashad is about a dead even match… Evans has lost major momentum and has to have plenty of ring rust by now & Tito has the complete opposite… Last February Evans vs Tito would’ve been a fuckin’joke…. LoL