Tito Ortiz surprises with UFC 132 “Submission of the Night”

The UFC delivered a dose of early fireworks this Fourth of July Weekend after offering an action-packed event earlier tonight featuring a number of exciting scraps and highlight-reel finishes. The card also provided an opportunity for four fighters to walk away with an extra $75,000 each.

Remarkably, former light heavyweight champ Tito Ortiz earned ”Submission of the Night” by locking in an opening round Guillotine Choke of TUF 8 winner Ryan Bader en route to victory. The finish, only the second BJJ-based tapout of Ortiz’s fourteen year career, came after “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” rocked Bader early and found an opening in the ensuing scramble. The win was the first for the 36-year old veteran since stopping Ken Shamrock with strikes in October 2006.

”Knockout of the Night” went to after a hotly contested competition for the honor given the evening’s plethora of pugilistic delights. Among the numerous contenders where the show’s best strike-based stoppage was concerned, Carlos Condit emerged the award’s winner for his flying knee finish of previously unbeaten Dong Hyun Kim.

Finally, ”Fight of the Night” appropriately went to headliners Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber after a fast-paced, five-round battle seeing Cruz ultimately retain his bantamweight championship via Unanimous Decision. The performance avenged a loss for Cruz and likely solidified him as the top 135er in the world in the eyes of most.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Jstew3785 says:

Surprise is an understatement. Dana can’t be too happy with this. Wonder if he cuts Bader for 2 losses in a row…

• Richard Stabone says:

Tito, somewhat inexplicably, is still a relative big draw in the UFC. So an impressive Tito–even if we haven’t seen it for the better part of a decade–is good for Dana and company.

Obviously Dana & Tito have had their issues, and then when he gives Tito a big purse to come in and look like crap & lose like he has for the past 5 years, that’s gonna piss Dana off. But Tito beating a respectable opponent and drawing a big reaction from the crowd is exactly what Dana is after, regardless of who it comes from. Now they can milk Tito for at least one more card and some additional PPV buys, and just hope he can put on another entertaining fight….which, to beat the dead horse here, has been very few & far between for several years now.

As for Bader, no chance he gets cut. He’ll get another chance, but obviously tonight is a big drop for him. He & Sotiropulous had a pretty meteoric rise & fall over the past couple years.

• mu_shin says:

Let me ‘splain it to you…

Former light heavyweight world champion, one of the fighters who helped bring modern MMA to the prominence it now enjoys, who I believe still holds the UFC record for light heavyweight title defenses, and who recovered from years of near debilitating injuries to overcome a serious young up and comer in one of the most stacked of all competitive divisions in the UFC.

If you leave all the tabloid bullshit outside the ring where it belongs, Ortiz, while losing several tough matches, always aquitted himself well in the cage, with a draw and two losses to now former world champions. A lot of people don’t like the Ortiz personality, but can’t see how you can argue against Tito the fighter, who at 36 should command respect as a veteran campaigner who backed up the hype.

• fanoftna33 says:

his win by submission in the walk out, and damm was I happy for Tito. Seriously the guy has brought so much to MMA you have to give him his due, cant wait to see who they match him up with next, maybe the winner of Franklin Nogeria or Randy part 2?

• Richard Stabone says:

Tito’s last loss was to Matt Hamill, who while being a solid fighter is never gonna be confused with a champion. And calling Forrest a “former champion,” while accurate, is a bit generous as well.

But Tito did give Lyoto a good run for his money, throwing up a dangerous triangle attempt near the end of the fight….but that was over 3 years ago. Sandwiched around that fight were losses.

Tito’s got a big place in UFC history, but that only carries so much weight for so long. Like we all knew, tonight was do-or-die and Tito came up big. He’ll never be relevant in the title picture again but, being 100% honest here, I picked him to win tonight and didn’t mind seeing his arm raised. I predicted a decision rather than finish. I’m just not sure how many more Tito fights I’ll actually be intrigued by, no disrepect to his (distant) past.

• elkymbo says:

But he’s such a dick. That stupid digging a grave rubbish and crappy t shirt?

Good win though.

• qat says:

Hmm i interpreted it as digging out a treasure, could be wrong though.

• king mah mah says:

Damn was I glad to see Tito win. I picked him to win, but I never thought it would be that quick. And submission of the night?! WOW! I hope we see Tito vs Rashad 2.

• @ Richard…locking on a near triangle after literally landing less than 10 percent of your strike attempts and being thouroughly dominated is not what i would call giving someone a run for their money. And how is it generous to call a man who held a title a former champion? So Rashad and Shogun cant be former champions then due to the fact that they did much worse in their first title defenses than Forrest.
    On another note good for Tito and Im so excited that Condit got KO of the night. I figured itd go to leben but thought Carlos’s knockout was more impressive due to Kim being unbeaten and it being a flying knee.
    Mark my words, if Diaz cant get the job done against GSP…Carlos just might.

• Angry Mike says:

Tito’s “dig” could’ve been 1) Digging his career out of the grave; 2) Getting a win,which was like diggin for and finding buried treasure; 2) Digging his head out of his ass. Regardless, good win for him. I guess we get to live with him for three or four more fights, at least.

• hindsightufuk says:

the Condit knockout was nice, and makes me want Nick Diaz to beat GSP even more. i mean i’ll be rooting like shit for Diaz anyway, but the prospect of Diaz vs Condit over 5 is awesome. could be one of the best title fights ever

well chuffed for Tito, i havent cheered that loud for a long time, i’d like to see Tito Forrest III now please?

did anyone else think the Siver/Wiman decision stank? or was it just me? i thought it was as bad a decision as i’ve seen this year

for some reason in the UK, ESPN didnt run the Spike prelims, so what was the Dos Anjos/Sotiropolus ko like? i cant figure why they didnt show it during the broadcast last night. three of the main card fights finished in the first round and they only showed the Guillard/Roller ko, Dos Anjos/Sotiropolus was barely a minute, so why not show it? was there some controversey or was it particularly brutal/scary ko?

great show over all, thoroughly enjoyable, except for Wanderleis punch resistance, shame to see him go the way of Randy/Cro Cop/Chuck, still plenty to offer but cant take a punch any more

• hindsightufuk says:

also its a grave digger celebration Tito does if anyone wasnt sure. its very famous i’m surprised not every one is familiar with it. but then i guess if tito hasnt won in 5 years and you’re a newish fan, then maybe you wouldnt have caught it. he used to do it after every time he finished an opponent

• Sykotick says:

Hindsight,
    The KO was a basic KO, I believe it was an overhand right and put him down, DA pounced and the ref stopped it.

And too right you are with the Tito GraveDigger dance,
    Matter-o-factly, its that dance and a “two fingered salute” thag caused the problem with Ken Shamrock after Tito stopped one of the Lion’s Den fighters, can’t remember who

• Sykotick says:

That*

• hindsightufuk says:

it was after the Guy Mezger win, did the grave digger thing, shot his pistols then flipped Ken the double bird. one of the greatest moments in mma history! remember big john picking tito up and carrying him away

• Dr.Stoppage says:

“Mark my words, if Diaz cant get the job done against GSP…Carlos just might.” -superdavenorcal

Oh, I’ll mark your words.
    ‘IF’ and ‘JUST MIGHT’.
    Such bold preditions.

Sorry superdave, I’m still nursing my UFC 132 hangover.
    It’s hard to mark words that are so vague.

I think Condit will fight Kos or Fitch before he gets a sniff at the title.

Mark MY words, GSP just might beat Diaz,and maybe could probably school Condit.

• Sykotick says:

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about that! Big John lifted him like he was a kid and turned him around, haha great. But I don’t think he was flipping ken off in particular as much as he was flipping off the Lion’s Den

• Dr.Stoppage says:

The Tito Grave Dance was kinda sad but fun to watch in a car crash kinda way.
    He’s still conflicted.
    He finally wins impressively,says that he’s redefining himself, hell ,he ain’t even training at Big Bear anymore( always a red flag that Tito would lose) ,yet he still does the lame ass grave thing and wears a dumb ass shirt.
    I’m confused.
    Is he the first Tito, or is he redefining himself?
    Either way, I thought he’d lose a decision, and it was awesome to see him win in the way he did.
    I hope they put him up against another lifetime UFC employee ,Stephan Bonner, next.
    I love Tito .
    I hate Tito.
    Either way, I was excited to see him fight.
    I bet he gets a threesome out of the deal.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I meant ‘PREDICTIONS’ in my post towards superdavenorcal.
    D’oh!!

• THEGUNNER says:

I give tito a lot of credit he didnt get knocked ou in what was supposed to be his last fight like couture and ice man did.

• TerribleT says:

Did anybody besides me see the look on Chuck Liddell’s face right after Tito won? I swear he was lickin’ his lips as if to say,”Yes,Tito is healthy enough for me to knock him out now!” I predict Chuck’s gonna ask’ Dana about putting together the one that got away,Chuck vs Tito III……..you know Chuck would love nothing more than to go out by crushing Tito & he feels that Tito robbed him of this opportunity . . .

• hindsightufuk says:

i thought chuck looked like he couldnt care less after tito’s fight

• bigbadjohn says:

Carlos looked sensational. I see he being a much bigger risk to GSP than Nick Diaz. Carlos is much more unpredictable and showed great ability to find his way back to his feet under one of the best grappler’s in the division, Kim. Heart and great conditioning too – In Condit’s last fight he dropped the first two rounds to Rory MacDonald (who is the future, some people just haven’t realized it yet) only to come back and get the TKO in the third. Georges shoots on Nick – what’s he worried about? Nick hardly throws kicks… but Condit, different story (Boom. KNEE). I’m sure people will say “but Nick’s a Gracie black belt”, as if George’s hadn’t nullified a high pedigree guard before. Nick surely has amazing submission skills, but honestly, wrestlers aren’t ignorant to the bottom game any more. And upper echelon wrestlers like GSP (with the exception of Sir Chael Sonnen), rarely, and even more scarcely of late get caught in fight-ending submissions.

• Dr.Stoppage..first let me compliment you on the best forum name ever.

2nd…I think Diaz WILL get the job done against GSP but it wouldnt shock me to see GSP do his specialty, and lay on Nick for five, switch position alot and then bitch about how he couldnt finish him afterwords.

Against Condit though, he’s got another animal on his hands. SCHOOL Condit?..please, no one has ever schooled Carlos Condit. Provided Diaz loses to GSP(entirely possible) I think Carlos will have his number. I cant imagine who he’ll fight as Kos would be a step down, Fitch has said he wants Penn and only penn and everyone else at the top tier seems tied up right now. The only reason I dont want the NBK to sit on the sidelines is due to the fact that hes probably the most exciting and well rounded(combination of the two) fighter at 170 and the way he swept Kim like nothing shows St Pierre wont have his way with him on the ground like he has everyone else.

• adamsfamily says:

I’ve never called a fight in the Walk out before – but I did on this one.

Just knew in my gut he was going to do something special.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Thanks superdave.
    I just get tired of analysis without a prediction,although I still do it myself somtimes.
    With that said,I think GSP will beat Diaz by ,(ahem), dr. stoppage. Diaz will find a way to bring GSP out of his shell,GSP will try to finish,but only a dr. can stop Diaz. GSP by cuts.
    However,he will beat Condit by decision.By “SCHOOL”,I mean that GSP is something that Condit’s never faced before – the best in the world.GSP will teach Condit what it takes to be the best, even if it’s a 25 min lesson. Condit= Natural Born Killer GSP = Natural Born Competitor.
    I ‘m a fan of all 3 fighters.
    Hope we get to see Diaz vs. Condit someday.
    I and I’d love to see Condit vs. Kos just for the hell of it.
    Now back to the thread.