UPDATE: Nate Marquardt released by UFC, Charlie Brenneman in at UFC Live 4

The UFC Live 4 lineup has undergone a massive change on the eve of taking place, as the headlining match-up between debuting welterweight Nate Marquardt and rapidly ascending prospect Rick Story has been scrapped after it was revealed Marquardt would not be competing at the event after failing the required physical for undisclosed reasons. Pennsylvania product Charlie Brenneman will step into the void created by the former 185-pound contender’s absence after having his own fight laid to waste with a last minute change when opponent T.J. Grant withdrew due to illness.

News of the shake up was first reported by MMAJunkie and has since been confirmed by UFC officials where it was also reported Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo will now serve as the card’s main event.

In a related story, UFC President Dana White released a short video stating the company had severed ties with Marquardt who incredibly went from main event fighter to free agent in less than an hour.

Story himself was also a fill-in after Marquardt’s originally scheduled adversary, Anthony Johnson, was also forced off the card for health-related reasons.

PHOTO CREDIT – ZUFFA

• hindsightufuk says:

man i really dislike watching Chieck Kongo, probably more than anyone on the UFC roster at the moment. i was looking forward to the prelims way more than the main card anyone, now even more so.
    real shame for rick story, all of a sudden its just another fight instead of putting him maybe one fight away from a title shot

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

There is waay more to this story I bet. Even if Nate couldn’t make weight I think they would have made a quick catch weight bout if it was close as I doubt Story would have backed out of a non title fight over a few pounds.

I doubt UFC would cut someone for not making weight either and certainly not over an undisclosed injury. Hate to think it was steroids as others have failed the whiz quiz and still have jobs.

Can’t wait to hear the full story.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Wow-The only reason I could fathom for this type of situation would be the dreaded steroid taking(cheating)-Horrible

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Nate has failed tests before.

• TerribleT says:

Where’s he gonna go now that Strikeforce is also owned by Zuffa? Bellator? Dream?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

He will end up in Bellator or Japan

• fanoftna33 says:

Very shocking news, and I will not even guess as to why Nate is out. Damm UFC PLEASE dont let Kongo be in the main event-Tyson Griffen vs Manny Gamburyan would be so much better.

• TerribleT says:

If Dana White is really going to let Strikeforce do their own thing,at least for the time being,like he said he would,then maybe there’s a chance Strikeforce does sign him. I just can’t imagine Dana actually letting it happen bcuz evidently he’s really pissed @ Marquardt.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, has to be more to the story.

First off, I get that Dana would be generally annoyed to learn about 24 hours in advance that his main event was off. But to release a really short, pissy video … he’s clearly pretty really bent about whatever went down.

Plenty of shit has gone down in the UFC that didn’t draw such an immediate & swift response… whether it’s the Pitbull missing weight & being popped for drugs, or Leben’s DUIs and steroids revelations, or in-cage shenanigans like Daley after he’d lost to Kos. That’s just a few off the top of my head. Sure there’s been even more egregious acts that didn’t draw the immediate wrath of Dana the way Nate has.

And I’m not sticking up for the guy, as he must’ve screwed something up pretty royally, but such a dramatic response from Dana? I can’t think of a prez of another major pro sports league that would fly off the handle in a 15-second interview the way Dana did. Seems like a questionable way to run an organization, but I guess time will (hopefully) tell.

• Richard Stabone says:

BTW, do we–as the hardcore MMA fans who hang out on MMA sites–actually believe that the majority of fighters are “clean”? I mean, seriously?

I guess I give MMA fans more credit than NFL fans, as far as being able to see things thru the reality prism, but I guess that’s just an assumption on my part.

If we like to believe our favorite MMA & NFL players don’t use (illegal) PEDs, I guess that’s cool.

• bigbadjohn says:

I definitely agree Richard, in general it seems sports fans tend to put their heads in the sand when it comes to PEDs especially when their favorite athletes are the ones in question. NFL definitely, MMA definitely.

• TerribleT says:

Ha ! Tomorrow(Sunday)was going to be reruns of Nate Marquardt fights all day long on Spike TV, shown on Unleashed & past UFC Fight Nights. I wonder what’s gonna be shown instead now. I think Nate was to be front & center for 10 straight hours starting @ 1:00 pm EST running until 11:00 pm EST which was already strange because UFC Live 4 is set to air @ 9:00 pm EST on VS and @ the same time Spike has the Marquardt vs.Palhares Fight Night listed. Wouldn’t it be crazy if they just went ahead with their “Nate the Great”(that’s how they’ve been advertising it all week) regular scheduled programming? :-)

• MickeyC says:

Has to be PEDs. If it were a weight issue, we would still be seeing this fight. Story would have agreed to catch weight as I’m sure the UFC would have. Both out of a lack of other options if nothing else. You would think ‘dirty’ fighters would test themselves about 10 days out. Give themselves time to pull the injury card. I could see Nate fighting for the large Canadian promotion.

• moosebaby02 says:

im pissed off. was looking forward this fight. have to agree. it must be something of the drug kind for this kind of swift action. what the fuck nate

• Makington says:

The first episode of UFC Unleashed is on, with the headlining bout of the episode being Marquardt’s fight against Silva. So it looks like they’ll be showing the ‘Nate the Great’ day, although this fight is a pretty tough loss for him. Either way it’s funny that they overlooked that TerribleT

• Niv says:

There has to be a lot more to this story than PED’s. There’s way too many examples here of fighters being caught cheating or involved in illegal activities such as Chael Sonnen (his case both) yet he still has a job.

Whatever the problem was it will impact Marquardt heavilly. Before there was a big time option in Strikeforce, but the competition isn’t the competition anymore, they’re killing time before their Showtime deal ends and the two will merge and become one.

Whatever Marquardt did, I hope it was something really bad (as dumb as that may sound), because I’d hate to think the UFC is using him as a warning or pawn against Jackson’s team as he did with Fitch and AKA. Who knows if there’s some back door negotiations or tactics being used by both sides to squeeze one side or the other?

Regardless as it stands the UFC is down a very good fighter, and I doubt we’ll ever know the actual truth to the story.

• adamsfamily says:

Could he maybe have HIV or some other blood related disorder? I can see that not letting him fight, but I dont know if he could be legally released if he had contracted something like that?

• Angry Mike says:

History suggests that PED’s alone wouldn’t cause Zuffa to cancel the headliner at the 11th hour, and I have no idea what would. Maybe he showed up piss drunk and insulted somebody or their wife? Short of that, I can’t figure it out.

• locoRover says:

This is a very confusing situation. I just read the PSAC’s statement, and i still cannot figure out what the heck is going on… It does, however, point away from PEDs and more towards Nate being negligent and not going through all the necessary hoops to get cleared. If that is the reason, then i agree 100% with him being cut (even though it really sucks). If any one of us had something extremely important to get done at work that our company had invested a lots of time and money into (comparable to Nate headlining a fight), and we flat out did not do the necessary things to get it done, then we’d prolly be out of a job on the spot as well.

i just dont know…