twitter google

Fourth frame in place to avoid Strikeforce Grand Prix draws

When it comes to the close of the Strikeforce Heavyweight World Grand Prix quarterfinals this weekend, as well as in future rounds, bouts will no longer be at risk of ending in a draw and having a singular independent official determine the advancing party. Rather, Strikeforce has implemented a “sudden death” period in the event two of the tournament’s participants exit the first fifteen minutes of their fight tied on the judges’ scorecards.

The change in policy was first reported by MMAFighting where Zuffa’s VP of Regulatory Affairs, Marc Ratner, confirmed the company’s decision to let the fighters determine their fates rather than a fourth judge.

Though draws are relatively rare, especially in heavyweight affairs, the news should bring some measure of relief to fans worried about the possibility should it arise in the organization’s ongoing Grand Prix featuring semi-finalists Sergei Kharitonov and Antonio Silva, as well as the quartet set to scrap this Saturday night in Dallas with catch-wrestling craftsman Josh Barnett facing powerful slugger Brett Rogers and the long-anticipated rematch between divisional kings Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

8 COMMENTS
  • Rece Rock says:

    Ummm where was the marketing teams brain when calling it a “sudden death” period?? I mean c’mon do you really want to give pols like Bob Reilly more ammunition?? it’s a decisive Fourth Round, leave it at that… mma and DEATH should never be in the smae sentence when promoting mma in a positive light… assholes… Zuffa/Forza royally fucked that up in my opinion.

    jesus christ what is this Mad Max two men enter one man leaves… thunderdome bullshit…fucking idiots!

  • MCM says:

    really Rece? I’ve always thought of “sudden death” as relating strictly to sports. I doubt any of these fights are going to a draw though……judges aren’t that good.

  • Rece Rock says:

    Sorry but yes MCM…
    I googled “sudden death” and maybe the fourth page is when it started to relate to sports references…and when it did the wiki post for the phrase had this sentence in the paragraph:

    “Sudden death may instead be called sudden victory to avoid the mention of death, particularly in sports with a high risk of physical injury.”

    So obviously the very uptight society we live in these days is even weary of the phrase a bit… I’m not a tart so I understand the phrase but like i said for ppl looking to bash the sport this just gives them more fodder especially that they can use the phrase sudden death out of context now that zuffa handed them that phrase.

  • MCM says:

    I still think you’re blowing it out of proportion. But you’re in NYC dealing with more of these idiots than the rest of us are, so it’s I get where you’re coming from.

  • fanoftna33 says:

    I like sudden victory round myself as it isnt as sensational sounding as other phrases the politicians like to throw around like ” human cockfighting” I think Rece has a good point on this one.

  • JBAR says:

    Damn the Politically Correct world we are living in. I like the sound of sudden victory but I really don’t care what they call it. Anyone who would take it that literal is mentally challenged and 90% of the people would recoignize that they were. The other 10% would fall in the mentally challenged category with them.

    As far as the extra round, I like the idea.

    In the interest of being Politically Correct with this post I replaced the phrase F*@#ing Dipshit with Mentally Challenged and removed any sexcist terms such as he, she him, her and inserted gender neutral terms such as they, anyone.

  • MCM says:

    you misspelled “Fucking”.

  • JBAR says:

    I was being parentally correct, my son was looking over my shoulder. :)

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.