Strikeforce is less than two weeks away from one of the company’s biggest shows, as the organization is set to stop in Dallas on June 18 in order to complete the opening round of their heavyweight Grand Prix while also offering up a number of notable pairings at “Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum”.
The the card’s headlining heavyweights – Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum, Gina Carano – and Strikeforce head Scott Coker joined media on a conference call earlier today and Five Ounces of Pain was on hand to pluck out interesting nuggets of information and memorable soundbytes to relay back to readers.
Read ahead as the four fighters discuss their respective match-ups and more:
– Gina Carano was denied medical clearance and will not fight on June 18. No specifics were given on her condition.
– K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masivdal will replace Carano’s bout on the main card
– Looking for an opponent for Sarah D’Alelio who was originally set to fight Carano
– Expects the next round of the Grand Prix to take place in early Fall
– Focused on himself more than his previous loss to Werdum – “Getting into good shape, not overtraining.”
– Said he’s been ready for the fight for weeks
– Likes fighting in a ring but feels cages are safer
– Feels the Grand Prix is an opportunity to show the world he is the #1 heavyweight in MMA
– Sees himself fighting in the United States more often in the future rather than focusing on Japan
– Wants to eventually unify Strikeforce/UFC titles but is only looking at Werdum right now
– Will be much more aggressive this time than in their original meeting and is “looking for the knockout from the first second”
– Is interested in this weekend’s fight between Dos Santos and Carwin because he would like an eventual rematch with “Cigano”
– Says June is his month after some of the past success he’s had in it
– Prefers the cage over the ring where he originally fought/beat Overeem in 2006
– Is looking at the UFC but only after he wins the Grand Prix
– “For me it is going to be a big challenge but I will show the world I will beat him again.”
PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE