Nick Diaz vs. Georges St. Pierre on cusp of coming to fruition

When the UFC purchased Strikeforce earlier this year the notion of cross-promotional match-ups went from being a fan’s dream to one founded in reality. Now, with welterweight champions Georges St. Pierre and Nick Diaz having both essentially cleaned out their respective promotion’s 170-pound division, it looks like a “super-fight” between the two should indeed take place at some point in 2011 and possibly in GSP’s backyard of Montreal this December.

The rumor mill on the prospective pairing first heated up late last week with a meeting between Diaz and UFC President Dana White and a report from MMAWeekly.com indicating a source close to the situation had informed them a deal was “imminent” and could be announced within the next few days.

Now word has come by way of a press release from the boxing-side of Diaz’s camp stating the polarizing pugilist would forgo a stint in the sweet science and focus on Mixed Martial Arts due to the “opportunity of a lifetime”. The Stockton native’s manager and trainer, Cesar Gracie, also threw fuel to the fire created by the official statement, adding, “At this point in time, there’s a certain chance that comes along once in a very long while and it only makes sense to stick to MMA as of right now.”

Though the specific nature of the “opportunity” and “chance” are left up to speculation it doesn’t appear difficult to read between the lines given the present circumstances involved. Whether the fight would take place at 170 pounds or at a catchweight to avoid championship implications is still unknown at this point. Stay tuned to Five Ounces for updates as this potentially groundbreaking story continues to evolve!

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• Creature says:

Interesting.. also heard that they might be the new coaches of TUF

• bigbadjohn says:

Nick is less of a threat to the throne than Jake, Fitch or Koschek, even Kampmann or Diego. Schedule Georges to cash another check and hear fans complain about him not finishing fights again after this one. Nick has enough heart and cardio to take 10 rounds smothered under St Pierre. But with a face that likes to bleed historically, I’ll say: doctor’s stoppage, end of round 4

• Dufresne says:

I think Nick is significantly more of a threat than Jake, Fitch, Kos, Kampmann, or Diego. All of them are pretty one dimensional fighters who struggle (and lose) when they can’t get the fight where they want it. Nick doesn’t have the BJJ of Shields, but he’s more than capable on the ground. He doesn’t have the striking of Alves, but he’s pretty damn good standing. Nick would be the first truly well-rounded fighter GSP has faced not named BJ. And unlike BJ, he’s good off his back and is much closer to GSP’s size and reach.
    I don’t think he’ll beat GSP, I just think he’s got the best chance of any WW out there right now.

• mu_shin says:

Regardless of our appraisal of his well documented skills, who else out there has a more clearly defined path the the UFC welterweight championship than Nick Diaz? There are many worthy competitors at 170, but among the UFC’s elite roster, George St. Pierre has already beaten the best of them, and I believe most fans would rather see fresh meat in the cage against GSP before starting a tournament of second attempts at the crown.

I think BBJ raises an excellent point, in that Nick is a bleeder, and GSP has just about the fastest hands in the division, documented by the Sport Science tv show as among the hardest punchers in the sport, regardless of weight class. While Nick is a good striker, he doesn’t exhibit a lot of defensive bobbing and weaving/lateral motion to avoid getting hit, he’s just tough enough to swallow shots and keep going. In a five rounder, against a tireless cardio champion like St. Pierre, Nick will have to really engage on all fronts if he expects to leave the octagon with a victory, and there could be a good chance of a stoppage if he gets peppered by the GSP jab and superman punch. Diaz takes a good shot, but he can be knocked down by a hard punch as seen in the Daley fight, and GSP has the follow through on the ground that Daley was lacking to finish things, given the opportunity.

Personally, I really like Diaz, I like his fighting style, and his focus and committment in the ring. If there’s anyone out there who is tough enough to take a beating from St. Pierre by keep on coming, I think it’s Nick. Diaz won’t be psyched out by a big title fight or by the reputation of the champion, and you know he’ll show up in great shape if this matchup happens. Agree with Dufresne that Nick has the best chance right now against GSP. Also favor the champion to win, but would really like to see this fight take place so this debate can be put to rest where it belongs, on the field of battle.

• mu_shin says:

apologies for the typos, five ounces needs an edit function…

• stone says:

GSP has been due for a loss and I think Nick is going to finally be the one to dish it out! Of coarse I’m a HUGE bias Diaz bro. fan! LoL…. But in all reality, GSP will grind out another borring 5rd decision! womp womp wommmmp…

• Rich S. says:

Diaz has brilliant boxing, superb submissions, and an unrivaled ego/confidence.

Confidence is probably the most dangerous weapon against GSP right now. He seems to have his opponents worried before the fight ever begins, and certainly after it begins. I doubt he’d ever break Diaz.

I think Diaz’s aggressive striking would force GSP to take him down, and seeing as how Diaz very rarely defends takedowns, it would come down to his ability to submit GSP in 25 minutes. And if GSP is at all submittable, I think Diaz has the best shot at 170 in catching him.

• MickeyC says:

Everyone remember how Koz got to GSP on Tuff? That will be nothing compared to what Diaz will do. That being said, I think that is as far as Diazs chances go. GSP has fought guys with better tools than Diaz, he could not finish them, but he did win. I would have to also agree with the bleeding issue, thats about the only way I see this fight not going the distance.

I think IF this fight comes to fruition we will see Diaz gettin’ inside and givin GSP some unusual damage BUT GSP will be forced to let loose and from there on out I see it being a war standing or on the ground… I think GSP wins the belt in convincing fashion BUT I think Nick Diaz may just prove himself worthy of his ranking and the hype…

Doesn’t hurt that his teammate just fought him either and will be a wealth of knowledge

• locoRover says:

I can’t really get on board with this being on TUF, with nicks noted inability to talk sensibly, and gsp’s a bit overplayed as a coach (however he can bring in some of the best guys, so that really does help the fighters)

I’m also nowhere near sold on gsp being a lock in this fight. His reactions to getting hit frustrate me. I still think he panicked when serra hit him. And if I heard him complain about his eye one more time in the shields fight I was gonna lose it. I think nick will find away to hit gsp and hurt him, but the question will be how nick can fair against what has always been his achilles heel, high level wrestlers.

Ill be pulling for nick in this one. But I wouldn’t put money on it…

• bigbadjohn says:

Dufresne, you are putting too much stock in Nicks previous wins. It simply was not against the highest of competition. GSP could sleepwalk .. Or sleepwrestle his way through Zaromskis, Noons, Cyborg etc. Nick will show that TD defense is still his heel and further prove it after
    Losing to Kos Fitch or Diego (again) a few more months down the road. He’s a tremendously skilled and dedicated fighter but barring miracle subs he’ll need hAndpicked matchmaking to stay atop this WW division.

• locoRover says:

Time will tell whether or not nicks TD defense will satisfactory enough to keep him in fights… Difference between nick and most other guys who cant/dont defend takedowns is that he doesn’t hesitate with his hands anticipating TDs, and he has the bjj to make the best lay n pray artists think twice.

Also, I wouldn’t call any sub that nick would be able to pull off against any of these guys (gsp, diego, kos, fitch) a miracle sub, just like I didn’t call silvas sub of chael a miracle. To do that is to completely disrespect bjj.

Do I love nicks chances? No not entirely. But I would say that I like them more than fitchs or anyone else that gsp has faced since penn, cuz nick has more than one way to win a fight, something gsp hasn’t seen from an opponent his size in a very very very long time.

• JabCrossHook says:

mu_shin, st pierre is far from the hardest punchers in the division, you’re telling me he hits harder than daley? yeah okay…….

if he was such a hard puncher he would’ve put shields to sleep with one or two overhands that he was throwing….

nick doesn’t have a lot of power either but his boxing is better than GSP’s, he hits you in the chin a lot and his opponents end up getting KOed or TKOed from the volume of strikes landed on their chin and body, he’s the more potent striker and better counter puncher of the two….

jake shields had the best chance of submitting GSP but GSP completely avoided the ground game with him…i really doubt that nick can submit him though

• mu_shin says:

JCH; I was writing on another site and wrote about seeing Shogun Rua on the Sport Science television show, and how he was measured scientifically as the hardest puncher they had ever tested. One of the administrators on that site posted two videos, one of Shogun, and the other of GSP being tested for speed, and pounds per square inch into a target. Shogun had the hardest kick the scientists on that show had ever measured, don’t remember the exact numbers, but it was awesome. In the video of GSP, his punch was measured electronically hitting a heavy bag, and they said he was the hardest puncher they had ever measured. I’m not tech savvy enough to post a link, and don’t think Five Ounces usually lets posters access competing sites, but the video evidence is out there, for what it’s worth.

When I was younger, I had a 2nd degree black belt in TaeKwon Do, and trained submission grappling for several years, so I know that having power and being able to use it are two different things. I also know that hitting an inanimate object is a whole lot different than connecting with a sweet shot on a living moving target.

Granted, GSP is not known for knockout power, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there, it just means he’s found other ways to win than trying to club his opponents unconscious. Don’t see how any of us can argue with success, except all the nay sayers who found the win over Shields lacking simply because it didn’t end before the final bell…

• Dufresne says:

I agree that GSP could “sleepwrestle” his way through all of Nick’s previous opponents, but that’s because they’re a lot like GSP’s last opponents; one dimensional. Out of GSP and Nick’s combined last 10 opponents I would say that only Sakurai and BJ were threats in more than one area, and both of them were undersized and are getting on in their careers.

What I’m saying is that GSP and Nick are both the most multidimensional threats either has faced in a very, very long time.