Chael Sonnen’s suspension woes continue as indefinite sentence is upheld

It appears fans may have seen the last of Chael Sonnen in a ring after a vote earlier today by the California State Athletic Commission resulted in the outspoken middleweight’s indefinite suspension being upheld meaning he will not be able to reapply for a license in the state until mid-2012. Though the involved amount of time is not necessarily a career-killer, Sonnen explained that an inability to clear his name at today’s function would likely lead to him hanging up his gloves for good. Whether or not the statement was an emotional appeal to officials or a genuine statement of his intent to retire remains to be seen.

Sonnen’s current circumstances stem from a series of infractions in both his personal and professional life involving his recent role in a federal money laundering case, as well as testing positive for increased testosterone after his fight against Anderson Silva at UFC 117 and following it up with disingenuous testimony in follow-up meeting with the CSAC.

Though his original suspension for injecting an illegal substance into his body is set to expire in early May, Sonnen’s sentence was compounded by an additional State-specific year handed out based on both his legal situation and having fabricated a story to the CSAC about receiving approval from the Nevada State Athletic Commission to use prescribed testosterone at UFC 109 in February 2010.

Sonnen will be technically free to apply to fight outside of California by the end of next month based on time-served for the drug testing results. However, the latter punishment will likely keep him sidelined until May 18, 2012 regardless of location based the tendency of State athletic commissions to respect all rulings and the UFC’s desire to maintain a positive relationship with officials.

If the brash 34-year old grappler does indeed decide to retire he will exit MMA with a slew of soundbytes and skillful performances attached to his name despite his recent struggles. Sonnen holds an overall record of 25-11-1 in his career including notable wins over Trevor Prangley, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, Jason “Mayhem” Miller, and many more.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dufresne says:

Personally I don’t like Chael at all, but this kinda has me on the fence.
    Yes he used PEDs, but if he was truly using them for hypogonadism as he says I can’t really fault him. That’s a medical condition completely outside his control.
    As far as his money laundering conviction, he’s a felon. But unless he’s sentenced to prison time or probation that limits his travel, I can’t get behind a ruling that effectively bans him from earning a living in his profession. I know the ban is only technically in California, but how many times has one athletic commission ignored another’s ban?

I still don’t like him, I still don’t trust him, and there’s no way in hell

• Dufresne says:

I’d buy real estate from him, but letting a sports commission ban a guy from his primary source of income for a non-athletic legal issue seems excessive. If that’s anybody’s job, it’s a judge.

Sorry for the split post, my fat fingers don’t always hit the buttons on my phone I mean for them to hit. Dumb iPhone…

• Creature says:

I say this is bullshit. im one of the few who still like chael and regardless of his past actions this somewhat extreme..

Everybody fucks up once in a while we are human BUT when u get caught you gotta own it and except the consequences and move forward with out incident… BUT NO this asshole lied time & time again and pushed the wrong fucking buttons… Plus he’s not only a lying asshole with in the sport he’s a fuck up in his regular life outside the cage aswell… I mean how foes anyone feel bad for a guy who wants to lie ND get over time and time again…?? CSAC thank you for putting your foot down.
    Fuck him… This is bigger then him this is about
    the fucking sport, I love and support the sport of mma not the trials and tribulations of chael sonnen….

While I’m at it fuck Jon jones and his mgmt… Mutha fuckas need to start having some integrity and stop fucking around n Playin games… This memorial day main event is a joke and the “champ” is sittin home tweeting…Bullshit.

• stone says:

Fuck the athletic state commision! Why don’t the UFC just fight him in their European shows? If he can legally leave the country of coarse… I still wanna see Chael kick Bisping’s ass!!!!

• TerribleT says:

I don’t like Chael,never have,never will and that’s exactly why this ruling pisses me off………….I was hoping to see him get his fucking ass beat and it looks like that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon thanx to this shit :-(

• bigbadjohn says:

It would be a crying shame if Chael retired today. There are very few fighters in the UFC who will engage in the trash talk, create hype, and back it up at the highest level. He might not be the type of guy I’d want my sister dating but the tenacity he delivers from the first second to the bell along with his effectiveness against opponents of any background make him one of the most undesirable opponent in any weight class. And I guess that impresses me.

• hindsightufuk says:

don’t really like or dislike him, the guy is know for being a pompous cunt rather than any fights he’s been in. oh and for screaming like a girl on the occasions he has been arm barred
    dont agree that any legal issues should stop him from competing unless it is directly linked to the sport, like say cheating by taking PED’s, innocently or not

• Kamakosmo says:

Hey Rece Rock, this guy bang then dump your Sister…jeez…easy big fella.

Nah Kamakosmo I live in NYC and hand jobs like Cheal give more ammunition to geriatric out of touch politicians like Bob Reilly to continue to say they dont want MMA in the empire state. That and it’s pretty fucking annoying to see ppl come out and defend this guys’ actions like he just stumbled for a second when it’s obvious this guy fell flat on his face…

Wanna support something? Watch Bellator on Saturday night… support mma.

• Kamakosmo says:

I live out east L.I., and want MMA in NY just as bad…but lets’s be honest here, Bob Reilly is using the supposed “brutatlity” of the sport as his reasoning (and because the boxing people that put money in his pocket don’t want it). I think you are reaching saying he would, or even could use Sonnen’s legal issues as another reason to keep it out of this State. Same State that hosts or hosted A-Rod, Clemens, Giambi, Pettite and other Roid users…don’t see them throwing the Yanks out of here. This is only my humle opinion though, ok.

• Angry Mike says:

Sonnen screwed up and will pay the price, which should be based on his MMA related offenses. Other issues should be off limits for an athletic commission. And the last few posts point out that douche bag politicians in NYC are doing more damage to the spot than Sonnen.

• Makington says:

I actually really like Chael. Sometimes he’s kind of an idiot when he openly and clearly lied about the Armstrong incident, but sometimes when he goes on rant it’s pretty fucking hilarious. I don’t find his ground and pound as boring as I do Fitch’s, and like with every Chael Sonnen fan, you kind of like seeing Chael get punched in the face. I do however agree with his suspension because although it’s his livelihood, he knowingly tried to cheat the system to gain an unfair advantage over the competition, and that is not a sport I want to see, the one sport that I’m too passionate about. Knowing we’re seeing these juiced up fighters who took the cheating route kind of rips the heart out of the sport for me. If they let Chael off with just a slap on the wrists, then why can’t any fighter go get a doctor to sign him up for TRT. Whether he truly has the disease for it or not, my understanding is that it would allow him to mask steroids, or to explain the testosterone if he cycled PED’s wrong. Maybe he had the disease, maybe he didn’t, but the next guy who does it will know that he can hide them, and if he’s caught? Ah well, just use the same excuse Chael did, it got him off…

I don’t really know what’s the best decision here, but I still hope it’s made for the right reasons, which is to help the sport in a positive way.

• Dufresne says:

I just read that he also told the commission that he and Bisping were set to be the coaches of season 14 of TUF. .