twitter google

Brock Lesnar’s diverticulitis forces him out UFC 131, replaced by Shane Carwin

The UFC continued to steal headlines this week with another major announcement on the heels of having already expanded fighter insurance to cover injuries sustained outside of the cage. Minutes ago, in a conference call with media, UFC President Dana White dropped a bomb in explaining former UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar‘s diverticulitis had returned and would no longer be able to compete against Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 as a result.

Lesnar stated his options at this point are to either get surgery to correct the issue or live with the affliction for the rest of his life. However, he did make it clear he was not retiring.

“This is not the end of my fight career,” Lesnar explained. “I’ve just got to find the rest solution to fix this problem. I love this sport. I love what I do. This isn’t the end of Brock Lesnar. This is just a speedbump in the road.”

Rather than cancelling Lesnar’s headlining bout with Dos Santos on June 11 the UFC has replaced the decorated amateur wrestler with Shane Carwin who had been in the process of training for a fight at the event against newcomer Jon Olav Einemo. The 12-1 Carwin was last seen in action this past July against Lesnar in a title-fight at UFC 116 and had finished all twelve of his previous opponents prior to the second round submission loss.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

15 COMMENTS
  • Creature says:

    if carwin comes in to the fight ready and in shape i actually see him pulling this off. regardless of who wins they will be a stern test for cain

  • JOEgun says:

    fuckin exciting matchup!!

  • MCM says:

    Great F’ing Match!
    Didn’t Roy Nelson predict something like this?

  • fanoftna33 says:

    Great new match up, for Carwin he gets a serious chance to jump up to #1 contender again, and for JDS he basically the same opponent so it is all good for him. Hopefully this bout isnt decided by Carwins lack of conditioning though as he is coming off a injury and a lot of down time so that makes me respect him even more for taking this much tougher fight.

  • Rece Rock says:

    I’m disappointed but this will still be one hell of a fight… I know 2 ppl (older folks) with diviticulitus and they are on strict diets but live normal lives with the occasional flare up ( when they venture off the strict diet) that leads to very minute side effects I’m just curious how severe is bricks case and what is he doing wrong that created this issue?? It’s all a bit baffling, whatever….

  • MCM says:

    You know what? The more I think about this, the sadder I get at the state of the UFC’s HW division. If Carwin wins, that means he gets a title shot one fight removed from his chance at the belt. I know the same was true for Brock and I didn’t like that either. I think the Carwin/JDS fight is gonna be great, but does Shane really deserve a title shot so soon?
    4 of the top 6 HW’s in the UFC are on this card, Mir, JDS, Carwin, and Nelson. Of those 4, 2 are coming off losses, Carwin and Nelson (Brock is too) and only Frank Mir and JDS are coming off wins. Does that mean that Frank and JDS should be fighting for the #1 contender spot? I think so.
    There is basically 5 or 6 guys vying for the title shot and then there is everyone else. The HW division may be better than it was, but it’s still pretty sad.

  • Creature says:

    I personally dont feel Mir is the better fighter on conterdership status, hewon his last fight but was VERY unimpressive, and the fight before that he got destroyed by shane.. and shanes loss was still epic. i personally think carwin is the right choice

  • Rece Rock says:

    I think they need to get Overeem, and Big Foot in the mix sooner then later

  • hindsightufuk says:

    you know you have a problem when you are talking about Brendan Schaub and Matt Mitrione as almost being in the 10 ten. they wouldnt even be top 30 in the world. there are a lot of guys outside the UFC that could make they’re HW division interesting. if they are gonna take some guys from Strikeforce i wanna see Cormier and Del Rosario go over, as well as the big names

  • YetiLee says:

    Guess Brock has been eating too much chicken shit and not enough chicken salad.

  • Peewee is makin his debut that night as well and Im excited for that…as far as things go, I dont think Del Rosario nor Cormier are any more tested than Meathead and Schaub(and I cant stand Schaub and no I dont have a reason, i just dont really like the guy…that KO of Cro Cop was SICK though)
    The HW division is still kinda bad but it is lookin up and a few more years and it’ll just keep gettin better.
    I

  • fanoftna33 says:

    Herman coming in is a good thing, but hopefully the UFC gives the winner of the HW tourney in SF a title shot also, I think the first order of business for the UFC as soon as the tourney is over is to absorb the SF HW division. Besides the big names the will get great prospects like Griggs, Del Rosario, Cormier, and even Lashly. So much better for the UFC prospects like Struve who clearly isnt ready for top guys yet but for sure doesnt need cans. This will make the HW division so much better.

  • Angry Mike says:

    The only way to fix Brock’s condition permanently is by surgery. They remove the section of affected intestine and reattach the ends. There’s no guarantee it’ll work, but without the surgery he will have occasional and unpredictable flare ups that will be painful and debilitating. Treatment is usually antibiotics.

  • elkymbo says:

    Brock’s next fight will be for the wwe title

  • stone says:

    I want to see Cain Velasquez vs JDS or Carwin… I have no beef with the situation…

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.