Jim Miller vs. Ben Henderson expected for UFC on Versus 5

The lightweight division might be a bit of a mess thanks to the postponement of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III but that hasn’t stopped Joe Silva from doing his job. A huge lightweight clash is on the horizon as top contenders Jim Miller and Ben Henderson are set to clash in August at UFC on Versus 5.

News of the bout was first reported by The Asbury Press and has since been confirmed by the UFC.

Miller is currently on a seven fight win streak with his most recent victory coming against Kamal Shalorus at UFC 128. In 22 professional fights, his only losses have come via decision to the aforementioned Edgar and Maynard. He’s slowly been working his way up to the top of the division and is looking to stake his claim as the top contender with a victory over Henderson.

As for Henderson, a victory over Miller would get him one step closer to a UFC Lightweight Title shot that alluded him last December when he lost to Anthony Pettis. After a very successful WEC career, Henderson made his UFC debut at UFC 129, picking up a decision victory over Mark Bocek.

UFC on Versus 5 is scheduled for August 14 at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Also on the card is a welterweight showdown between top strikers Duane Ludwig and Amir Sadollah.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• personally I think THIS should be the headlining fight of this card. The only complaint I have about this fight is I dont want to pick between either of these two guys. Wow, what an awesome fight….new fight of the year candidate…..I’ll make my prediction later.
    Hell yes!

Agreed this a main event in my mind on versus… Shit I’m just happy to see such an awesome match up on free tv! Thanks Zuffa but for the record you owe us a lot more good free fights

• JOEgun says:

Oh hell yeah !! cant wait

• Dufresne says:

This has all the makings of an awesome matchup. Miller is tough as hell and has sick submissions and Henderson is tough as hell, has sick submission defense, and some very nice submission skills of his own . Should be a war.

And if Miller wins this fight they will have approximately 0 reasons to not give him a title shot.

• Sykotick says:

If Miller wins I think a change of names is in order to
    Jim “Give Me A Fuckin Title Shot Already” Miller.

• boomnutz says:

am I missing something? Who said it wasn’t the headliner? This is going to be a war. Can’t Wait. I won’t wait to make my prediction, I love Bendo, but Miller’s taking this one. At this point, I’m not sure if there’s any better LW than maybe Frankie and/or Gray. Also, I couldn’t have asked for a better opponent for Miller (except maybe Gil Melendez, but they were 1a and 1b, imo).

Does everyone remember how weak this division was just like 2 years ago?! Now it’s easily the most exciting and toughest division around.

• boomnutz says:

one more thing too, Miller is the anti-Fitch (personally I love both fighters). Neither seem to have athletic prowess, both take almost any fight, but Miller has a few finishes and fans lover him.

• MCM says:

Love this fight. A win for Bendo puts him right in the top 5. A win for Miller solidifies himself as the true #1 contender (sorry Pettis.)
    I don’t know if either guy has the drawing power to headline even a free card, but I could see this as a co -headliner. I also read that Hardy/Lytle will be on this card. UFC 5 of Verses is shaping up to be an awesome show.

• Creature says:

As long as this card remains injury free.. this is looking to be an amazing card, just as good if not better than some PPV cards. this match alone is gonna be a hell of a fight and a very interesting one at that. idk who to pick here… both are top 5 in my opinion and i like both fighters so all i can hope for is a FOTY candidate

• sigmund says:

I’m callin miller all the way to the bank!! this is gonna be a deadly scrap, but miller is a notch above bocek. I wonder who will get the shot if he wins this? pettis or miller? hmmmm… both would deserve a shot, as much as i want maynard and edgar go one more time there are too many people in line for the belt! lets get some action goin on here!!!!