Conclusion to Edgar vs. Maynard trilogy postponed due to injuries

Injuries to fighters are a fairly common occurrence in terms of springing up at the wrong moment to cause a late cancellation but rarely do they affect both of the bout’s participants let alone an event’s headlining contest.

Such a perfect storm has unfortunately appeared on the forecast for May, as UFC lightweight champ Frank Edgar and top contender Gray Maynard have both been sidelined with damage sustained while training for their UFC 130 title-fight and will no longer be fighting over Memorial Day Weekend as a result.

News of the cancellation first surfaced by MMAFighting with the UFC confirming the show-altering circumstances within minutes of their report while also relaying word the pairing of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Matt Hamill will now serve as the main event. Additionally, Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story will be bumped up from the preliminary portion to the PPV card.

While specifics of the injuries were not readily available in terms of complete damage or recovery time, Edgar was said to have suffered broken ribs while Maynard’s knee in the source of his setback.

The May 28 match-up would have marked the third time the two had fought with Maynard handing Edgar the only loss of his career three years ago and then nearly knocking him out in a rematch at UFC 125 only to see the 155-pound champ battle back to retain his belt by way of a Draw.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

Well at least now they are covered by the new Zuffa insurance. All this does is make for a title fight that can be added to any card in the future, even if it doesnt go down as the main event it is still a interesting fight.

• Creature says:

Damn it.. i was really looking forward to this fight too as im a big maynard fan. even tho the card is still decent.. a headliner of rampage/hamill doesnt excite me all that much..

• fanoftna33 says:

Mir vs Nelson is still a good fight, and now Alves vs Story is on the ppv. Hamill vs Jackson is still a solid fight but I really wanted to see Frankie even up the series here.

• MCM says:

Glad to see Alves/Story on the PPV, but I had a feeling it was gonna make it there anyway. Really sucks for the fans in attendance. Their paying the same price without getting a full card, and they don’t get to see the rematch of a title fight that was an early contender for FOTY.

• CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP.
    Dont get me wrong its still a great card, Especially with me getting to talk shit to my wife after Mir gets his ass whipped by Big Country. However I was still lookin forward to Frankie vs. Gray III alot. IMO number 2 is still fight of this year.

Nah I’ll pass save my 50 beans for partying that weekend n just follow 5oz for live results…

• Kamakosmo says:

Agreed Rece….NO Championship/Main Event?? Knock the price of the PPV then (No pay for Maynard and Edgar anyway, right?). They can’t…but will…charge the same amount for no Main event….and no disrespect to Rampage/Hamill…that fight IS NOT a PPV Main Event.

• I’d skip it but its gonna be the first card I’ve watched with my Dad since UFC 4. Plus his father in law has challenged me to a hot wing contest and Im gonna whoop his ass like Rampage is gonna whoop Hammil’s. and lastly, my wife wont miss a Frank Mir fight…regardless of the fact he’s goin down to Roy as if he were a double whopper with cheese with no pickles.

• MCM says:

Rampage doesn’t want to be a fighter anymore. Hammil’s gonna stick and move then take him down for a little GnP. Rinse and repeat for 3 rnds.
    Mir is gonna light up Roy on the feet and stuff most of his shots before he gets put to sleep from Big Countries over hand right.
    Story is gonna out wrestler Alves in between keeping it very competitive on the feet.
    And, Superdavenorcal is gonna show his father in law why he’s the new twinkle in his daughters eye when he crushes him in the wing contest.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rampage may want to be an actor, but his skills are still good enough to make Hamill regret taking this fight. Name the last time you saw Matt acually use his wrestling???????
    Matt will stand with Rampage and get koed.
    I REALLY hope Mir and Nelson take it to the ground for this fight as that could be very interesting. Both are good standing, Mir being much better technically and Roy having a bit better power and a very solid chin.

• hindsightufuk says:

have to say i fancy matt hamill in this too, and shit yes i’m gonna blame it on all the pride wars!

• Thanks MCM….but Im takin on my Dad’s Father in law in a wing contest.

• MCM says: