The Ultimate Fighter 13: Episode 6 Wrap-Up

Team Lesnar
Head Coach: Brock Lesnar
Assistant Coaches: Luke Richardson (Strength/Conditioning), Marty Morgan (Wrestling), Erik Paulson (Jiu-Jitsu), Rodrigo Medeiros (Jiu-Jitsu), Greg Nelson (General)
Fighters: Len Bentley, Charlie Radar, Tony Ferguson, Clay Harvison, Myles Jury (Injured), Chris Cope, Nordin Asrih, Chuck O’Neil

Team Dos Santos
Head Coach: Junior dos Santos
Assistant Coaches: Lew Polley (Wrestling), Luiz Dorea (Boxing), Billy Schiebe (Muay Thai)
Fighters: Shamar Bailey, Ryan McGillivray, Javier Torres, Ramsey Nijem, Zach Davis, Mick Bowman, Keon Caldwell

Scoreboard: Team Dos Santos leads 3-2

General Information: Lew Polley and Dos Santos give mixed signals to their team about what they want. Dos Santos ended up kicking Lew off his team and the show.

Injuries: Len Bentley dislocated his patella while sparring. Clay Harvison found out that he dislocated his finger. Neither injury was enough to keep them from fighting.

House Stories/Drama: None
Gym Stories/Drama: None

Fight Announcement: Tony Ferguson (Team Lesnar) vs. Justin Edwards (Team Dos Santos) as picked by Lesnar.
The Fight: The majority of the first round was just a brawl with both men landing power shots. Justin was landing the harder punches but Tony hung with him and fired right back. Justin managed a late takedown but when he stood up, Tony heel kicked him from his back and knocked him out. Highly entertaining fight.
Result: Tony Ferguson def. Justin Edwards via KO Round 1 (Heel Up Kick)

Justin Edwards Report: He looked good until he got caught. He was maybe a little tired after the first half of the round but he pushed through it and kept damaging Tony until he lost his focus for a second and ate a heel kick right on the jaw.

Tony Ferguson Report: Beyond his chin, Tony was using a very stiff jab that caught Justin a number of times. I liked his activity off his back with elbows prior to the KO as well.

Fight Announcement: Chuck O’Neil (Team Lesnar) vs. Zach Davis (Team Dos Santos) as picked by Lesnar.
The Fight: Zach controlled the first half of the fight with good control in the clinch and takedowns but Chuck reversed things at the mid-way point and damaged Zach with ground and pound. Zach ended up locking on a triangle choke off his back though and forced Chuck to tap out. Fun fight.
Result: Zach Davis def. Chuck O’Neil via Submission Round 1 (Triangle Choke)

Zach Davis Report: Very good performance. He controlled the clinch, got a couple of takedowns, and finished the fight. He got swept, which is never good, but he recovered and picked up the victory.

Chuck O’Neil Report: I didn’t see much from Chuck outside of the kimura sweep. He fought hard but was controlled in the clinch, put on his back a couple of times, and caught in a triangle, which is “his move.”

Wild Card Announcement: Justin Edwards was picked for one wild card spot but the doctors wouldn’t allow him to compete. The wild card fight ended up being Javier Torres (Team Dos Santos) vs. Chuck O’Neil (Team Lesnar)

Eliminated Fighters: Myles Jury, Nordin Asrih, Keon Caldwell, Len Bentley, Charlie Radar, Mick Bowman, Justin Edwards

Good episode…I was surprised Chuck got the wild card.

• MCM says:

There must be more going on with Len than what we’re shown. Yeah, he’s kind of a cry baby, but I still think he deserved that wild card fight. Hopefully, Dana give Justin “Baby Randy” Edwards another shot at the finals. He’s got good striking and takedowns, he just needs to get that cardio up to speed.
    Does anyone else feel like there is an inordinate amount of D-bags this season?

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont understand Chuck for the wild card either as he tapped to that triangle before it was even secured in, Len is a drame queen for sure but at least he can fight hard and not quit the second he is in trouble. I think it must have come down to who the coach liked instead of who was most fit for the wildcard.

• bigbadjohn says:

totally a d-bag season MCM. It was worse when it was 2 d-bags fighting to a boring ass conclusion, at least in last night’s episode both were good tilts. I was happy with the wildcard pick from Lesnar’s side also, sure he tapped to the triangle but he looked genuinely feisty up to that point

• fanoftna33 says:

True Bigbadjohn, Chuck did look good up until the triangle, but I think he now takes over the nickname from Alex Schoenower of quick tap. Hopefully he has a good fight next week in the wildcard match, but I didnt see Torres fight yet so I look forward to the match up.

“There must be more going on with Len than what we’re shown. Yeah, he’s kind of a cry baby, but I still think he deserved that wild card fight” – MCM

Yeah def. agree… Len’s a pain in the ass but he was much closer to “leaving it all in the cage” then the other fighters whom have lost thus far

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

On a sidenote-why isn’t this show available on demand

• MCM says:

I also don’t understand why these supposed fighters aren’t screaming their heads off to get the wild card fights. If it’s me, I’m up in Dana’s face every time I see him telling him I want another shot. I’m yelling and screaming “Give me this Fight!”. Wasn’t it Seth Bazinski that ran down Dana in the parking lot asking for the fight, didn’ John Kolosci beg for a second chance at Mac Danzig. You don’t sit there with your hands folded saying your here to “do your job” or that your not %100, but you can still fight.
    For any future TUF contestants,
    If Dana ask if you want this fight, the correct answer is “Fucking right I do!”. And do it standing so you look eager.
    If Dana asks if you’re %100, you tell you’re %110 and already on weight.
    When Dana says never leave it in the hands of the judges, that’s exactly what he means.

• Dufresne says:

I think that’s about 90% of the reason that Len didn’t get the wild card. I think he was probably Dana and JDS’s 2nd wildcard pick with Edwards being the 1st, but when he just kinda said “I’ll do what you want me to.” his stock fell big time. In past seasons there were guys chasing Dana down, begging for fights at every turn, and even a guy moving up in weight to take a fight.
    Then you have this seasons wildcard “hopefuls” trying to get a 2nd shot at a life changing opportunity and the only one that really looked enthusiastic about it was the only one that the commission wouldn’t clear to fight.