Georges St. Pierre out two months with eye injury

For those tuning in Saturday night into UFC 129’s headlining tilt between welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre and top contender Jake Shields there was likely little doubt “Rush” would spend some time on the sidelines after complaining to his corner between rounds about an inability to see clearly out of his left eye. Fortunately, though St. Pierre will still be out of action for awhile due to damage sustained in the bout, the prognosis on his recovery is positive and no long term effects on his vision are expected.

According to the list of medical suspensions for UFC 129 issued by Ontario’s related regulatory board, St. Pierre has been given a mandatory two month break from competition and must receive an ophthalmologist’s clearance to receive the thumbs up on a return to the ring. In terms of specifics, a statement from one of the Canadian’s primary trainers – Greg Jackson – through MMAJunkie explained GSP had suffered internal bleeding due to an eye poke from Shields, not retinal damage, and was expected to make a full recovery.

Other UFC 129 main card athletes receiving sixty day suspensions include Mark Hominick and Randy Couture. While both men will require CT scans before getting back in the ring again, a process Couture likely won’t worry about given his retirement, the causes of their two month vocational vacations was ultimately different with Hominick’s being for precautionary reasons stemming from facial cuts/swelling and Couture’s being the typical sentence applied to fighters suffering a knockout.

Here is the complete rundown of UFC 129 medical suspensions:

Kyle Watson – Suspended 60 days due to left-eye laceration and knockout, CT scan required
Charlie Valencia – Suspended 60 days due to knockout, CT scan required
Sean Pierson – Suspended 60 days due to knockout, CT scan required
Jake Ellenberger – Suspended 45 days, must have X-ray due to possible hand injury
Nate Diaz – Suspended 45 days due to left-eye laceration
Mark Bocek – Suspended 30 days due to head laceration
Jason Brilz – Suspended 60 days due to knockout, CT scan required
Randy Couture – Suspended 60 days due to knockout, CT scan required
Mark Hominick – Suspended 60 days for precautionary reasons, CT scan required
Jose Aldo – Suspended 30 days due to lacerations
Georges St-Pierre – Suspended 60 days due to eye injury, must receive ophthalmologist’s clearance

* – All non-listed fighters received a standard fourteen day suspension for precautionary reasons in co-ordinance with athletic commission policy

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Nate Diaz – Suspended 45 days due to getting suplexed into limbo.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

oh poor baby

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I have to say that Nick Diaz will finally put the hurt on that over protected ass

• bigbadjohn says:

You are DELUSIONAL if you think Nick is going to come close to beating GSP. DE fucking LUSIONAL. have you seen Nick’s losses in the UFC? wrestlers beat him and Georges is the pinnacle of MMA wrestling. Get ready for 5 rounds of Nick on his back and prepare to put your foot in your mouth – Machida can help you with that 😉

• bigbadjohn says:

just like Alves, just like Hardy. Rinse and repeat.

• bigbadjohn says:

and most like BJ vs GSP. with the smaller fighter, and BJJ stud, getting mauled.

• gy614x says:

bigbadjohn, I can’t agree with you anymore than I do right now!

GSP would roll through Nick Diaz like a freight train without breaks.

GSP by 5 round ass beating

• bigbadjohn says:

If I was Joe Silva I’d call up Nick and ask him if he’d like a chance at redemption for his brother. Rory and Nick would be a battle!

• hindsightufuk says:

i am a huge Nick Diaz fan but i dont know if he could beat Georges. regardless i’d like to see him try.
    and right now Nick has a lot of momentum and his stock is high, perfect time for that fight to happen. people either want to see him win or see him killed. also other than Nick i feel Carlos Condit may be the only other WW fighter with the balls to take it to Georges, and not act like a dear in headlights (i think Anthony Johnson would be just that). who else is there? not saying carlos deserves it, just dont see anyone else making it interesting.

GSP only fights twice per year anyway so the 2 months out won’t make any odds

• HSF you and me agree entirely. Nick and Condit are the only two challenges I see for Georges.

And all of you who count out Nick his BJJ off of his back is better than Penn’s(only off his back, when’s the last time BJ submitted anyone off his back) and Nick’s boxing is far superior to that of Hardy, Shields, Kos, Fitch, Serra…the only two who MIGHT be able to outstrike Nick are Penn and Alves..and well.. I think Daley is a better striker than Alves and we saw how that went. Nick’s losses to those wrestlers have all been 4 years or longer ago and since then he’s been on a terrific tear.
    GSP is great no doubt, but let’s face it…Nick steamrolls his “b level” competition while GSP plays safe and never finishes. I think its an interesting fight and provided Nick stayed off his back, I think he would outstrike GSP from pillar to post…but I doubt he’d stay off his back.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Wow!-Nick Diaz is going to ream GSP’s ass-once GSP gets bloodied he loses

• Kamakosmo says:

Wow Gike…it is obvious you are a GSP-Hater….because you make absolutely no sense.

• hindsightufuk says:

just want to point out that once again, even tho folks despise Nick Diaz, everyone is talking about him, and he didnt even fight.

• boomnutz says:

that just made my day…
    “DE fucking LUSIONAL”
    lol great stuff

• Niv says:

Well I’m one of these guys that think Nick Diaz will be a great fight for GSP.

The guy is a stud fueled by a degree of nastiness and will fight you anywhere you want to go.

I personally don’t think anyone can beat GSP at WW at this time, but of course this sport is all about proving anyone can be beaten.

You guys that hate Diaz bring up his stint in the UFC as if it was a bad thing and as if he has never evolved his game since then. Everybody else in those years GSP included have learned new skills, but somehow Diaz magically keeps winning without improving. Now that’s just hate for the sake of it as far as I see it.

I’ll go on record and say this will be GSP’s most exciting fight ever, and it will have everything to do with the nasty dude who keeps coming at him like a mad zombie, kudo’s to the UFC for making it happen.

That’s a fight I can’t wait to see.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I am not a GSP hater-in fact I am a huge fan of his

• judofan82 says:

GSP hands down in a solid fighter, but no way is he “Pound for Pound Best”. The last fight he finished was Serra. He plays it safe and grinds out wins. Say what you want about Anderson Silva but he isn’t afraid to take risk. Nick has way better hands than GSP. GSP will be the bigger, stronger person if they fight but that doesn’t always equal a win. Ask Lesner

• bigbadjohn says:

Niv I hope you’re not insinuating my comment about Nick’s UFC run had any bearing on my liking him. I like Nick more than GSP actually, as an entertainer. But I’ve seen Nick’s weaknesses and Georges’ strengths and I can confidently say the two meeting would be awfully one-sided. GSP wouldn’t have to worry about Nicks striking since neither Thiago or Dan caught him flush once.

• bigbadjohn says:

Lol at comparing GSP to Lesnar. and for the record If GSP fought B-fighters like Noons, Cyborg or Daley he would certainly finish them also.

• judofan82 says:

The point is Nick fnishes. How can GSP destroy somebody’s eye orbital in the first round and not finish the fight.

• Niv says:

bigbadjohn, I had to go back and see your comment.

I like what you have to say 99.9% of the time, but in this case I think Diaz is being sold way short. He like any good fighter gets better and works on their weaknesses. I doubt training regularly with Jake Shields will leave you hopeless in wrestling or improving on your takedown defense. Diaz has fought some tough guys and fought a guy who was considered a top contender not that long ago in the UFC. Not only that, there were very few WW’s in the UFC that would dare trade with this guy and Diaz went out and beat him at his own game.

I’m a huge GSP fan and I love watching Diaz fight, I stand by what I say in regards to this being a potential great fight. I think Diaz will be a very tough test for GSP, but like everyone else they throw in front of him (GSP) I still expect him to lose.

• MCM says:

First off, I’m not a GSP fan. With that said, ya’ll are sure nit picky about what you consider great. GSP is only on a 4 fight Dec streak. Of those 4, 3 of them are solid top 5 WW’s and 1 (Hardy) is still top 10-15. By comparison, Diaz has only faced 1 top 10 WW in his entire career and only 1 top 10 fighter in his past 12 fights. When GSP was fighting the same level of comp, he was finishing guys too.
    I also looked into this idea that going to a Dec or not finishing fights makes one boring. Sure there is the Fitch example but I found a few more examples of fighters that can’t finish.
    Boring ass Jake Sheilds, also riding a 4 fight dec streak, with 1 loss.
    Mr. Boring Thiago Alves, also on a 4 fight dec streak, but only coming out on top in 2 of them.
    The always dull Diego Sanchez, riding a 3 fight dec streak (questionably) and not having finished anyone since 2008.
    Rampage Jackson, 3 fight dec streak with 2 wins. Infact in Rampages 8 fights in the UFC, more than half, 5, have gone to a dec.
    These are just a couple of the “boring” fighters I found that can’t finish their opponents.
    As for GSP not being a P4P fighter, he went 30 rounds with out losing a single one. No one has done that, ever. Anderson didn’t, even before the Sonnen fight. Cain hasn’t, Fedor didn’t, Aldo, Penn, no one has even come close to that record.
    I think GSP is the P4P best fighter in MMA. I think he’s unstoppable at WW and Diaz doesn’t stand a chance. And I too don’t think he’s very exciting to watch, but that doesn’t make him any less great.

• bigbadjohn says:

GSP is #1 on my p4p list for that reason MCM. No one’s come close to doing what Sonnen did to Anderson to Georges. I was surprised Shields got 2 rounds (maybe the 5th, but 2 rounds?) but then again, not surprised because MMA judges are, well you know. Speaking of Anderson, guess who’s going to have the identical gameplan as Chael Sonnen along with his help annnnnnd better submission defense in their upcoming bout: Yushin Okami. Makes me want to become a betting man

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

GSP will lose to Nick Diaz-if it was a three round fight-he might have a chance-a five round fight would make him too bloody-and we all know that GSP is no good under pressure

• bigbadjohn says:

I can’t tell if you’re genuine or just trying to piss people off Gike but either way you are wrong. GSP didn’t look lackluster at the end of the Shields fight because of blood it was because his retina was freakin’ detached. Jesus. Anyways, put your money where your mouth is. If Nick wins I’ll never comment again on 5ozs again outside of congratulating your prediction, and if GSP wins, you leave and admit your lunacy. A race for “pinks”, if you will…. Lol, I’m half kidding, but only half.

• HevyHitters says:

Bigbad, I’m bummed your not a betting man, I would definetely take you up on that one…I can’t see okami getting passed silva, now after silva gets passed okami, you will have a better arguement if gsp gets silva…gsp can definetely control him, but if he comes in with the same standup he did against shields he’s gonna get ktfo..best chance is gnp

• MCM says:

Don’t leave BBJ. You’re one of the only posters that ever agrees with me. :)

I do like the idea of bets though. How ’bout loser has to get permission to post. i.e.

MMA TOPIC:

Gike says:
    Can I post about last nights fights?

bigbadjohn says:
    I’ll think about it.

bigbadjohn says:

Gike says:

It could only last like a week or so. I’d be down for that kind of bet. Or a sign off bet.

• bigbadjohn says:

DOn’t worry MCM, I would never. Not with villains like MMA Logic around. We need as many heroes around here as we can get -and with great power comes great responsibility:) …before I get too corny, Where is Logic these days?It seems his comments per week ratio has plummeted since the Strikeforce merger.