UPDATE: Injured Jon Jones replaced by Phil Davis at UFC 133

It appears 23-year old light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is human after all.

According to the UFC, “Bones” has been scratched from a scheduled defense of his belt against former teammate Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia due to nagging hand injury worsened in his title-winning performance against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in March. Specifically, as was explained in a press release from Jones’ management team, the affliction relates to “torn tissue in his right hand in the area between his thumb and forefinger”. No timetable has been set for his return to action.

Stepping in for the champ at the August 6 event against Evans will be undefeated contender Phil Davis. Davis honed his craft at Penn State during a storied run as a Nittany Lion wrestler meaning UFC 133 will serve as a semi-homecoming, not to mention a “Big 10” rivalry of sorts given Evans’ affiliation with Michigan State.

“This is an injury that’s been recurring since I was a college wrestler, it doesn’t affect my punching or grappling, but I am taking the time and the proper measures to correct this now, so that it doesn’t happen again,” Jones explained in an official statement. “I look forward to getting back to training and to my first title defense. As for Rashad, let’s see what happens with Davis. I will be watching that fight with great interest.”

“Mr. Wonderful” is 9-0 thus far in his MMA career including impressive wins over Brian Stann, Tim Boetsch, and most recently Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFN 24 last month. His All-American credentials should also come into play in August given Evans’ standard style of getting opponents to the mat and grinding them down.

“Sugar” ‘Shad has been sidelined since earning a title-shot with a decision win over Quinton “Rampage” Jackson on Memorial Day Weekend 2010, then seeing his opportunity go to Jones after injuring his knee while training for the bout against Rua. The UFC’s former 205-pound champion is 15-1-1 overall with victories over Thiago Silva, Michael Bisping, Chuck Liddell, and Forrest Griffin.

In addition to Davis vs. Evans, UFC 133 will also feature Vitor Belfort taking on Yoshishiro Akiyama and Rich Franklin mixing it up with the aforementioned Nogueira brother.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

WOW!
    I think this is a much better fight for Rashad after a year long layoff than Jones. He’s got the wrestling to counter Davis and much better striking.

So will Davis be the #1 contender if he beats Rashad or are they gonna try to push Rampage to the top again?

Gotta love the LHW division, it never gets predictable.

Jones was on a media tour ever since winning this all is just a bit weird… and apparently the injury is from his last fight? now is when they figure out the extent of it??…. weird.

guess davis wont get that rest and training redirection that he was talking about…

• fanoftna33 says:

This is crazy news. Considering that Davis just had a interview where he stated he didnt want to fight again this year to work on improving his overall skills I am floored by this. Great fight though, tough to pick a winner though but if Evans isnt to rusty ( and thats a big IF) he should be able to get a decision but it should be pretty good.

• boomnutz says:

wow…I think Davis will actually win this. Too be honest I’ve never considered Rashard a good striker, he’s got speed, and power due to his speed, but to be fair he’s a good counter puncher, I don’t see Phil standing in the pocket during this one, and I think his kicks are already better than Rashard’s. So if it comes down to a wrestling match I have to pick Davis. Maybe this will be the wake up call Rashard needs to move down to MW

• bigbadjohn says:

This will be a good one. The wrestling has to almost be a wash but I dont think Phil’s striking good enough to catch Rashad’s head movement. I’m going with Rashad in a decision (not surprising I know) with experience being a main factor.

• boomnutz says:

i was looking forward to the trash talking too…shucks

• Creature says:

i honestly believe rashad will handle phill pretty easily, i got him by an easy UD

• TSU21 says:

I would of liked to see rampage and rashad 2 bc now dana had stated that if rampage won he would be the number 1 contender and now it looks like he would have to fight one more time, prob against the winner of shgun and forrest but they should of gave phil davis hammil and pulled rampage from the fight and winner of hte rampage and rashad fight would of been the #1 contender

So let me try and get this straight…

Win title, get challenger for title, drama ensues, trade verbal barbs with challenger, go on a media tour and a lot of traveling…college injury, re-injuried during initial title fight before most of the above took place, drop out of fight due to injury that took place before taking fight…. Yeah makes total sense… Even more sense then rushing a prospect to mature his skill set quicker then need be… Still glad that mr wonderful to the gig though I think he could have taken a slower route to the uppercrust of the division.

• MCM says:

If it doesn’t affect his grappling or punching, why is he bothering with fixing it now? Don’t be scared, Homey!

BTW, Vitor has hepatitis A.

• TerribleT says:

Rashad’s 2nd title shot has been about as elusive as picking the winning numbers for a mega million super powerball lottery ! He may never get it . . . .

• I like this for all kinds of reasons. The first being that I love to see Phil Davis up in the top tier of competition, it lets us know where he’s really at and it lets us see how smart he can be when his wrestliing is completely neutralized. The second is that I dont believe Rashad earned this second title shot anyway. If Fitch doesnt deserve a title shot for almost duplicating his first record tying winning streak, why should Rashad get it for beating two guys as boringly as possible?

• elkymbo says:

Phil Davis via boredom.

• You must either hate Phil Davis or good grappling…his fight with LIl Nog wasnt the most exciting but it was far from boring…other than that he’s constantly workin for subs and his TDs are SICK>

• bigbadjohn says:

one to talk superdave. I’m getting sick of the constant Rashad hate. so, he’s a good grappler? It’s fucking MMA not a striking contest. Tell you one thing Dave, Rashad’s odds of punching out ‘X’ fighter are higher than Mr. Wonderful vs. ‘X’. Suga stood with Machida, he banged with Chuck. chose not to stand with Thiago. uh, DUH. thiago’s a muay-thai wrecking ball. What would YOU do

• THEGUNNER says:

Looks like rashad didnt have to leave his camp he could have trained a little with bones for this fight.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think Bones wants to be at his best going into his 1st title defense. To be honest thats understandable, that belt has been passed around like a hot potato. The downside is that this layoff may open the door for a tougher opponent than Rashad. Machida is the first person that comes to mind

• boomnutz says:

BBJ…why so angry? Are you Rashard!?!?!

• JabCrossHook says:

Phil’s kicks are awful, I actually train in kick boxing and I paid attention to Phil’s striking technique from the last fight and Rashad is better in the stand up department. I honestly think this will turn into a striking match because usually when two good wrestlers fight they negate each others takedowns. Rashad should probably win by decision or maybe KO. Don’t really care for either fighter but lol at whoever said phil has good kicks….

• fanoftna33 says:

IF Rashad hadnt been sidelined so long he would overwhelmingly be my pick here by stoppage, but after such a log layoff I think this is the first 2 rds for Evans with rd 3 all Davis, hell we may even get a draw like Penn vs Fitch.

• bigbadjohn says:

Lol, no Boom I’m not Rashad. Short answer, I just get annoyed with hypocricy. Maybe it has less to do with superdave’s comment and more to do with my damn Vancouver Canucks blowing a 3-0 series lead and now having to play a goddamn game 7 tonight!

• elkymbo says:

I’m not a hater of Phil Davis just getting a little tired of wrestlers dominating. What is something going to be stronger than it? My bet is ninja!!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Rashad wins this via being a way better fighter. Wrestling is not MMA so stop awarding points for wrestling. It is a fight not a control contest.

• boomnutz says:

Jab…I didn’t see he had good kicks, just better kicks than Rashard. And ILLOGIC you hate wrestlers don’t you? Hmmm, well anyway Rashard’s not a WAYYYYY better fighter than most guys, he’s a wayyyy better wrestler, but this time around his wrestling won’t be as good. And for all you that think Rashard has good stand up, he really doesn’t. He’s got good counter punching, but how’s he going to counter a guy who’s not swinging at him?!?! Not to mention, Phil already has better jui jitsu. I think he wins because he’ll negate what “Shad” does best and he’s younger, bigger and stronger. Plus, I doubt Rashard’s good off his back, most guys don’t have the skill to plant him on the mat. But we shall see. It should be a close one.

• boomnutz says:

Dude BBJ, you watch my B’s taking out the Habs?!?! that was a nerve wracking series, part of me was hoping we lost so they’d finally fire Claude!!!

• bigbadjohn says:

Saw that Boom, what a series! I don’t like Subban much, though he is obviously talented, so I was glad he didn’t help the Canadiens slip by. And Horton was a top pick in my playoff pool so it’s allll good. Canucks and Bruins Stanley Cup final, cross your fingers. Ps- damn scheduling conflict on Saturday night with UFC now, soooooo shitty.