Jason Miller assigned date, opponent for return to the UFC

Aaron Simpson shadow boxing

When Jason “Mayhem” Miller steps foot in the Octagon after six years away from the famous eight-sided structure, he will do so at one of the UFC’s largest shows annually and against an opponent with All-American credentials on the mat.

According to a statement on the UFC’s Twitter page Miller has drawn accomplished grappler Aaron Simpson at UFC 132, the organization’s July 2 extravaganza headlined by bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz’s title defense against former 145-pound title-holder Urijah Faber.

The bout will mark the second time “Mayhem” has fought under the UFC banner with the first and only other occurrence taking place in 2005 against welterweight ace George St. Pierre. Though he ultimately lost the bout by Unanimous Decision, Miller went on to make a name for himself in Japan and Hawaii as one of the most entertaining middleweights in MMA.

Miller is 24-7 in his career with past victories over Niko Vitale, Tim Kennedy, and Robbie Lawler. Though healthy and having won back-to-back fights, he has been out of action since a September win over Kazushi Sakuraba due in part to the contractual issues assisting in his return to the UFC.

The 36-year old Simpson made a name for himself as a successful wrestler and coach in the collegiate ranks before deciding to give MMA a go in 2007. Since then he has compiled an 8-2 record including seven straight at one point. He was last seen outpointing Mario Miranda in March at UFC Fight Night 24.

Other match-ups for UFC 132 include Carlos Condit vs. Dong Hyun Kim, Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader, and Chris Leben vs. Wanderlei Silva.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE / 5 OZ

• Makington says:

A couple of years ago I would have picked Aaron Simpson to win this fight based on his outstanding wrestling but he has really started to show his age the past few fights. He used to have cardio for days, but he has shown weakening cardio and a weaker chin in almost every fight. Even still I think he’s a real badass, but in this fight I think Miller is a little too well rounded, and Miller’s cardio will be the big factor here. I see it being a relatively even fight in the beginning but when the fight drags on I think Simpson will start to get tired and will leave himself open to a triangle or rear-naked.

Simpson used to be able to shoot a double faster than any fighter I’ve seen, but ever since his fight with Lawlor he has looked slightly worse each time.

A pretty fair fight for both of them though.

• YetiLee says:

I see Miller winning this fight rather easily and then after being reintroduced to UFC fans he will be on his way to coach the next season of TUF against Bisping. At least this theory makes sense to me, unless of course he loses but I don’t see that happening as Simpson as of late has been less than impressive.

• Creature says:

Miller as a coach against anybody would make for a hell of a season

I’m not going to sleep on Aaron Simpson but I too think Mayhem got this… I think they weren’t excatly trying to bury there new aquisition knowing he has been out of action a while and the fact that he is a branded fighter with a good following and the ycan easily capitalize off his marketability… Mayhem can Fight, entertain the crowd / fans and sell a fight…that’s all the bosses need to know.

• boomnutz says:

Simpson’s one of those guys I wish had started training MMA awhile ago…I think he could have been nasty

• Angry Mike says:

I’m as interested in Miller’s walk in as I am in the fight. I want the whole choreography with dancers. Mind-blowing for UFC.

• stone says:

I got the A-Train winning this fight… I’ve never been to impressed with Mayhem and I think his 2nd UFC run will be short lived…

• MCM says:

couldn’t be any shorter than his first UFC run.

This is a good first fight for Mayhem. The MW division is relatively weak world wide,and that makes it difficult to get a clear understanding of how non UFC fighters stack up against their UFC counterparts. Mayhem was one of the best MW’s not in the UFC, Simpson is upper middle of the UFC’s MW division. If Miller can breeze through Aaron we know he’s legit, if not, the UFC has another argument for saying they have the best fighters in the world.

Personally, I think Miller subs him in the 1st.