Ross Pearson poised for action against Edson Barboza at UFC Rio

Brazilian sensation Edson Barboza will join a number of his countrymen as part of the line-up on August 27 in Rio de Janeiro when the UFC returns to South American nation for the first time in more than a decade. According to an official statement on the UFC’s website, Barboza will take the biggest test of his young career at the event in the form of Ultimate Fighter Season 9 winner Ross Pearson.

Pearson is 4-1 since joining the UFC’s roster two years ago with wins over Andre Winner, Aaron Riley, and Dennis Siver, as well as in his most recent outing against Spencer Fisher at UFC 127. He holds an overall record of 12-4 with three-quarters of those victories coming as the result of a finishing performance.

If Barboza is able to continue his winning ways against Pearson he will bump his perfect record up into double-digit territory. Fans most likely remember the dynamic old striker after an exciting “Fight of the Night” showing against Anthony Njokuani a month ago at UFC 128. Six of his nine wins have come via TKO.

The two twenty-somethings are the latest duo added to UFC Rio, a card already ripe with Brazilian talent in the form of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua dueling it out with fellow former champ Forrest Griffin and Anderson Silva defending his middleweight title against Yushin Okami.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Ross always brings it… should be a great fight. Another stacked card on the way.

• MCM says:

I like Pearson in this one. He may not be as flashy as Barboza but his striking is incredibly solid. I don’t think he’s gonna get caught by some of Barboza’s crazy moves like Njokuani did. Both guys are pretty tough, but I’d give the edge in power to Ross. I think he’ll rock Barboza a couple times and take home the UD.

• boomnutz says:

WTF who “thumbs downed” Rece?!?! how do you thumbs down that comment I mean seriously??? I agree Rece, I like watching Pearson cuz he always brings it, and it is a stacked card, i disagree with your prediction though MCM I like Barbosa to use his leg kicks to keep Pearson from finding his rhythm

Dude it happens all day every post… I ignore it just some ppl hatin… Stuff that’s up for debate and ppl disagree then by all means please thumbs down but sometimes on the most generic or factual comments ppl thumbs it down just because… But I’m not the only one it happens to and it’s not really worth a 2nd thought so anyways….

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yeah, the internet is a haven for cowardly trolls. Never worth losing sleep over.

• JOEgun says:

Ross got outstruck by Cole Miller. Barboza has waaay better striking than Cole. Ross is goin down in this one.