Coach Lew Polley believes Dos Santos “didn’t care” about his team on TUF

Every season of the Ultimate Fighter inevitably features at least one person who takes issue with the style or attitude employed by a coach. TUF 13 has been no exception to the rule only a few episodes in, as Brock Lesnar’s labeling of his group as “chickensh*t” and the intensity of Team Dos Santos’ workouts have already been the subject of contention with more than one competitor.

However, breaking from the standard mold, one of Junior Dos Santos’ assistant coaches has come forward with some harsh criticism directed at the Brazilian after having been told in the most recent episode to tone down his assertiveness in the training room.

Lew Polley, whose experience and work ethic as a successful amateur grappler have been evident throughout the season thus far, took to his Twitter late Wednesday night and questioned not only Dos Santos’ sincerity on camera but commitment to his team in general.

“I think JDS just wanted to be liked by Americans and he went the safe route by being fake nice,” Polley began. “This is not the real JDS. It’s bullsh*t.”

“He didn’t care about the guys,” the 29-year old continued. “He gets to fight Brock. His dream is set. What does he care? Why am I the only one still helping the guys?”

Polley, who also fights professionally with a 10-4 record to his credit, then elaborated on why the subject made him so emotional before moving on to other topics, citing his frustration at how little Dos Santos is promoting the show or his team through media as one of his reasons.

“He doesn’t mention the show, the guys…nothing. He is the famous one, not me.”

• Angry Mike says:

Polley is wrong to criticize dos Santos in public. Whatever needs to be said should be said man to man and face to face. Polley was hired to be an assistant, and that means he worked for the head coach. This kind of statement makes Polley look like a backstabber and an ingrate.

• Dufresne says:

Lew Polley is coming across as a drama queen upset that he’s not the top dog and main focus of the show. Obviously I’ve only seen 3 episodes and 3 fights, but Dos Santos’s guys are 2-1 at this point and I don’t think that’s all because of Polley. I may be criticizing Polley a bit early at this point, but I don’t recall ever hearing people talking about going to train with him so I don’t think he’s exactly the type of renown coach that has the credentials to be publicly critiquing a guy like JDS who has trained with literally the best in the world.

And even though I’ve never met JDS he’s never come across as a jackass or as a guy that’s only out for himself. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong as the season continues, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that Polley comes out looking like the tool by the end of all of this.

• Lord Faust says:

He’s right. If he really cared, he would overtrain them.

I hurt you because I love you.

• RicM says:

…..word of advice to Polley……..don’t shit where you eat……….

When keepin it real goes wrong….

• MCM says:

cagepotato did an interview with him about a week ago where he complained about it being a BJJ vs Wrestling thing. And the fact that he wasn’t Brazilian.

I tried to post a link to it three times but 5oz wouldn’t post my response. What’s up with that Brendhan?

• TerribleT says:

Talk about being ungrateful . . . .I guarantee u that very few ppl even knew who Lew Polley was B4 seeing him on TUF 13 & the only reason that his name is out there now is bcuz JDS asked him to help him coach on the show so he’s thanks him by telling everybody that JDS is phony & selfish. Sounds to me like Lew wants to be famous himself & is just jealous of JDS.

• Dufresne says:

Did anyone else just hear Polley say “Junior legitimately cares about how these kids are doing.” ?????

Way to look like an tactless tool AND a liar. What an ass.