Nate Marquardt dropping to 170 for UFC Live 4 headliner against Anthony Johnson

UFC on Versus 4 finally has a headline fight. Nate Marquardt, dropping down from middleweight to welterweight, has agreed to take on one of the biggest fighters in the division, Anthony Johnson. The fight will serve as the nights main event of the evening.

News of the bout broke by way of the UFC’s website.

Marquardt has spent the majority of his career at middleweight and he recently picked up a unanimous decision victory over Dan Miller at UFC 128. “The Great” is a former title challenger at middleweight and has been considered one of the top fighters in the division over the recent years. He’s struggled a bit recently though, posting a 2-2 record in his last four fights, but his two losses were against former title contender Chael Sonnen and soon to be title contender Yushin Okami. After defeating Miller in March, Marquardt expressed interest in dropping to 170.

Coming off a layoff that kept him out of action from November 2009 to March 2011, “Rumble” returned at UFC Fight Night 24, out-wrestling British striker Dan Hardy en route to a dominant unanimous decision victory. It was a much needed win for Johnson given his time spent on the sidelines, although many fans were disappointed that they didn’t get slugfest they had hoped for given the match up. Now Johnson hopes to re-build the momentum he had in 2009 by knocking off the always game and well-respected Marquardt.

UFC’s fourth venture to the VS. network is scheduled for June 26 at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Also scheduled for the event is another welterweight showdown that pits Dutch striker Martin Kampmann against the hard hitting John Howard.

*PHOTO CREDIT – UFC*

• MCM says:

I should be a pretty competitive fight. Marquardt has always been weakest in wrestling and, as the Hardy fight showed, AJ is a pretty good wrestler. When Nate first announced that he was thinking of fighting at WW, I thought that he’d be too big for everyone there. I totally forgot about Johnson. These two are about even in size as well as strengths, so I’m looking forward to this match up.

• MCM says:

*It should be*

Damn you missing edit button.

Nice!

• Creature says:

Regardless of where this fight goes, its gonna be one where you dont wanna miss a min of it, both are
    Huge 170’s who have very good well rounded striking, with johnson having the better wrestling, and marquardt the better bjj.. cant wait. both of these guys are favorites of mine

• Rich S. says:

What? Wow. I had no idea Nate was moving down. I always thought he was a big Middleweight.

He better keep his hands up and get aggressive with his grappling. Rumble is certainly submittable, but if he’s able to overpower Nate, the fight is his.

• Angry Mike says:

Tough cut for marquardt. He’s really thick at 185. Cardio will be a factor.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I guess Nate was sick of losing to top 10 MWs and didn’t want to have a record of 1-5 agaist top 10 MWs instead of the 1-4 record he has now.

• JOEgun says:

awesome fight! its gonna be a “great” “rumble”!

this UFC live card is looking excellent!! :)

• stone says:

My money is on Nate. Nate just seems to be a shelf above Rumble, skill wise… I’d be shocked to see Nate lose to anyone not named GSP in the WW division.

• boomnutz says:

I know Nate’s a muscular dude, and they always say he should have a strength advantage over most opponents, but i always thought his build was small…he was def. smaller/weaker than Chael and Yushin and Rousimar (if that fight continued). Anyway, i think this should be a good fight, i think his wrestling is good enough to make the fight really interesting (he only struggles with elite wrestlers). It’s been awhile since anyone’s tested his chin too, plus he should test AJ’s cardio…I’m pumped

• Dufresne says:

This is a surprise. It sounds almost like when Franklin moved up a weight class because he realized he wasn’t going to be able to beat Silva for the belt except in Marquardt’s case he’s realizing he’s going to have a hard time even getting another title shot period.
    I guess he decided to go down in weight instead of up because between the LHW and WW division, the WW division has the easier route to the title these days whereas the LHW division is the UFC’s version of Murderer’s Row.

• I like this fight alot and if Nate shaves off alot of the unecessary bulk he should be able to make 170 no problem. However, i dont think 170 is going to be an easy task, Assuming GSP keeps his title he’ll have to deal with Shields, Fitch, Kos, and my personal favorite WW, Carlos Condit…just the prospect of the Great fighting The NBK…Im ready to buy that PPV today!

And personally this is Aj’s time to either prove he’s that good, or for everyone to realize he’s not. I believe in the latter, his biggest win has been upgraded from a KO or Luigi Yoshida or Burns….to a lay n pray fest over Dan Hardy. Im still not impressed.

• climbarock says:

I don’t think this fight will be all that competitive. I think Nate outclasses AJ in almost every area of the game, and has fought much tougher competition.

I think 170 is a good weight for Nate. His frame isn’t all that big, he’s just very muscular. We’ve seen that the best body type for MMA is lean and mean, thicker guys have a hard time pumping oxygen to all those muscles (as Rogan loves to point out).

• joe mo mma says:

I guess this might confirm GSP’s move to 185. GSP and Marquardt have been known to be training partners and since it’s almost certain that Marquardt is dropping the weight for a title run, I doubt it would be for GSP’s title. If the ufc had a welter weight tourney, that would be the most exiting thing ever. winner of the tourney fights diaz for the unified belt.

• MCM says:

I heard Marquardt say that it was GSP’s suggestion for him to drop to WW. Nate said he was walking around at 195lbs and GSP said if you’re that small, you should try to drop to WW. I always thought Nate was pretty big for the MW division, but when I saw him at the weigh ins against Chael, he did looked a lot smaller. Then again, Chael looked like a freaking HW, so I guess that doesn’t count.

• boomnutz says:

lol…in other words “Hey Nate, you look like a little bitch, you should move down so I don’t have to run through you at 185” jk but if someone told me I looked a little small for the weight class, i’d be a little offended

• Dufresne says:

If Nate is really walking around at 195 he definitely needs to drop to WW. GSP walks around heavier than that and he’s not even the biggest guy in the division.

• Creature says: