Fedor Emelianenko reciprocates interest in match-up with Dan Henderson

Strikeforce appears to be on the cusp of creating one of the few legitimate “super-fights” MMA has ever seen after Fedor Emelianenko’s management was recently quoted as saying “The Last Emperor” had verbally agreed to fight fellow all-timer Dan Henderson with paperwork possibly being in place on both sides before the end of the weekend.

News of Emelianenko’s stance was reported by ESPN where it was also mentioned the bout would likely be at heavyweight if it does indeed take place and would be targeted for this summer.

Henderson had previously spoken of his openness to going up in weight if need be to face the iconic Russian, who himself is a relatively undersized heavyweight, meaning Emelianenko’s teased drop to 205-pounds has been put on hold for the immediate future if not permanently.

If things continue as planned it is likely the prodigious pairing would headline the July event rumored earlier this week as being Strikeforce’s initial foray into PPV and featuring Mo Lawal vs. Roger Gracie as part of the main card.

• Creature says:

…God i hope they make this fight happen. i honestly believe Hendo would take this but it would be a war.. after Hendo beats him, i say give him the rematch he wanted and deserved against Silva so he can avenge that loss.

• Dufresne says:

Now this is a surprise. A very pleasant surprise, but still not something I was expecting anytime soon if ever.

I’m not sure how this fight would turn out, but it looks like a pretty decent matchup for Fedor in my opinion. So far Fedor’s only losses have come to a guy with superior, world class BJJ and a guy that’s literally a giant and he won’t have to deal with either of those with Hendo.

I’m not sure how the weight cut would affect Fedor since I don’t think he’s ever had to deal with that and Henderson has been looking really solid lately, so it should be a phenomenal fight.

• MCM says:

I read somewhere else that it is expected to take place at HW so I don’t think the cut will be a problem for Fedor. Fedor is coming off of two losses, so him fighting the LHW champ at LHW just seems inappropriate IMO.

• stone says:

Someone made a point on here that Hendo is the best american mixed martial artist of all time… I really started believing that myself, after reading the comment… Anyways, Hendo vs. Fedor would be a badass fight, I don’t see it happening but, boy! would it be awesome to see… IFFF he beats Fedor, why not HENDO vs BONES?

• Creature says:

Hendo vs Bones would be interesting.. Hendo has a way better chin than anyone jones has ever fought. and i have a hard time imagining he would be able to rag doll Hendo as well as he has everyone else. and theres that Insane right hand he posses as well. if that fight were to happen it would be a very stern test for bones stylistically

• gy614x says:

I didn’t even need to read the article to get excited, DAMN I LOVE SUPER FIGHTS!

side note: Anyone else think their should be a 225 weight class?

• This would be awesome times 10 with a cherry on top! The last emperor is in need of a win badly and all Hendo needs to continue to do is improve upon his current already fantastic legacy. This is a win win for Hendo and not much of anything else but a big payday for Fedor. Should Fedor lose, he is totally done, unable to even hang with a bad ass 205er, whereas should Henderson lose, its only a loss to one of(if not the) greatest HW’s of all time.

Oh and Thumbs down on Bones vs. Hendo, I dont see Hendo having much chance in that. Bones speed and atheleticism would probably be just to much for Dan. I’d still buy the PPV….but I wouldnt bank on hendo winning.

• mu_shin says:

Read elsewhere that Emelianenko’s camp says he is interested in the fight, but not at 205. Possibility of a catchweight/heavyweight matchup, which I think would be a challeging and entertaining fight.

Lots of fans apparently want to write off Fedor after two losses, and Henderson for turning 40, but I believe both of these warriors have some fighting fuel left in the tank.

• Niv says:

I too am a little surprised at how quickly Fedor is being written off by everybody. He’s only 33 years old, is the greatest HW ever and has lost his 1st two fights now after almost ten years.

At 1st I was surprised that Hendo said he wanted Fedor at HW, but the more I think of it I see a method to the madness. I think Hendo’s gambling a bit here, hoping Fedor will stay a little doughie and complacent fighting a 205lb fighter. It’ll be the 1st time in a long time since Fedor’s been the bigger guy in the ring.

I think Hendo must know that a Fedor cutting to 205 would be a beast beyond belief, he’d be in the best shape of his life and probably angry at the world for skipping some ice cream after dinner, I wouldn’t give Hendo a great chance in that one personally.

Hendo’s chin is legendary, but I would bet he gets ko’d first time in his career if he fights a 205lb Fedor.

If this happens it will be at a catch weight… Zuffa/ Forza is in charge and Fedor isn’t getting a title shot.

• Kuch says:

I think this is a bad fight for Fedor, and I’m surprised M1 is open to it. Henderson is notoriously tough and has a granite chin. I figured Fedor would have lobbied for a more “winnable” fight, just so he can avoid losing 3 in a row. I’m not counting Fedor out of this, but I think it’s a bad matchup.

By the way, it’s not really the fact that Fedor’s 34 that has people writing him off; it’s the fact that he’s got 35 professional fights under his belt and has fought (on average) every 3.7 months for the past 11 years. That’s a lot of fights over a somewhat short time (not to mention broken hands and other nagging injuries from training he no doubt suffers). Compare that with someone like Randy Couture who typically fights every 5.6 months, and you can see why some fighters seem to wear down before they reach their late 30s.

• joe mo mma says:

This fight horrible for Fedor. He has absolutely nothing to gain, win or lose. I’m personally not a fan of these super fights when they serve no real purpose. I’m not saying I wouldn’t want to watch it, but it’s just not as interesting to me when only one guy in the fight has so much more to gain than the other. GSP vs. Silva on the other hand is a different story…

• Another reason I feel alot of people are writing off the last emperor is that he’s lost his last two fights to a UFC castoff and a guy who’s biggest match is a decision loss to that same UFC cast off. Before that Fedor was fighting Brett Rogers, and two other ufc castoffs. and before that it was cans and natural middleweights

BTW that’s not how I view Werdum Sylvia and Andre that’s just how someone writing off Fedor would.

• MCM says:

People can twist stats to mean anything they want, superdave.
    I think people are writing off Fedor because, for the first time in 10 years, he looks beatable. If he had been losing close split decisions, he would still be at the top of the heap. But he’s been finished in his last two outings. Now we know he’s human.
    Dan, on the other hand, has gone 4-1 in the last 2 years with wins over Rich Franklin, Bisping, Sobral, and Feijao. Hendo has never looked better in his entire career.
    I personally think that this will be a much closer fight than people are giving it. I think it goes all three rounds, but I won’t even try to pick a winner.

• JOEgun says:

Im picking Fedor to defeat Hendo. Maybe they should make the fight at 215 lbs. I think Fedor can afford to cut 15 lbs without a problem and still retain his strength and perhaps even gain speed. Fedor tossed the bigger Brett Rogers around and knocked him out. He even avoided getting knocked out by Bigfoots cinderblock fists. Fedor has a great chin and Hendo has a great chin. I have seen Hendo rocked by Anderson and Feijao and handled by Shields. I believe Fedor can do the same but also finish.
    I would love to see this fight! I dont really care who wins

• TerribleT says:

This fight is a lose/lose for Fedor bcuz if he wins everybody will say so what u just beat a smaller man no big deal but if he loses everybody will say he’s definitely washed up & it’s time to hang it up. I don’t think Fedor should take this fight. He needs to fight & beat a legit HW to raise his stock for other possible superfights that aren’t against fighters in smaller weight classes.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fedor should go to LHW. Please somebody tell his priest to tell Fedor to drop down.
    I don’t know why he rates his priest so highly anyway, I mean his priest hasn’t fought in the UFC and we all know that untill you fight there you have no cred.

M-1 wants a 220 catchweight…