twitter google

Carlos Condit vs. Dong Hyun Kim announced for UFC 132

While a battle between two talented welterweights was recently scrapped in the form of a since-cancelled rematch between Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn, it looks like UFC 132 will still feature a pair of prodigious 170-pounders as the UFC has announced former WEC champ Carlos Condit will face Dong Hyun Kim over July 4th Weekend at the event.

The 26-5 Condit has been out of action since October after injuring his knee in preparation for a February match-up with Chris Lytle but had emerged with his hands raised three consecutive bouts prior to the layoff including a memorable first round knockout of Dan Hardy at UFC 120. He has won eleven of his last twelve fights with the lone exception being a Split Decision to Martin Kampmann and also has the impressive distinction of having finished twenty-five of the twenty-six opponents he’s beaten.

The remarkable statistic should be put to the test against “Stun Gun” who has yet to lose in his career with a 14-0-1 record. The popular Korean is coming off an outpointing of Nate Diaz at UFC 125 and also holds past victories over Matt Brown and Amir Sadollah.

UFC 132 is scheduled for July 2 in Las Vegas and will be headlined by a bantamweight title bout between current champ Dominick Cruz and fan-favorite Urijah Faber. Other scheduled fights likely on the main card include George Sotiropoulos vs. Evan Dunham, Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader, and Wanderlei Silva vs. Chris Leben.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

8 COMMENTS
  • MCM says:

    Kim has been asking for better comp, and he got it. Outside of the Hardy fight, Condit has been a notoriously slow starter in his UFC fights. I think Kim has the wrestling acumen to grind Condit down for the first 2 rounds if Condit comes out in usual form. That and the fact that Stun Gun has never been finished suggests that he should be able to take the Dec in this fight.
    However, Kim has never faced an opponent as well rounded and dangerous as Condit. His toughest fight so far was against Karo where he lost. That fight was ruled a no contest after Karo tested positive for drug use.
    Condit has all the skills necessary to beat Kim anywhere this fight goes. He’s the better striker with cleaner more powerful shots, is dangerous off his back, and has fought and beaten a much higher caliber of fighter than anyone Kim has faced. Although I still think he was gifted two of his last three fights, there is no denying his abilities.
    Both guys are tough to finish, so I’m gonna go with Condit by Split Dec in this one. Stun Gun will take the first, the second will be close, and Condit will come out like a maniac in the third for the win.

  • Rece Rock says:

    Wanderlei Silva vs. Chris Leben…. can’t wait.

  • Brendhan Conlan says:

    Pretty amazing card from top to bottom when you break it down.

  • Angry Mike says:

    I’d rather watch this than an uninspired BJ. Condit and Kim are both looking for title shots, so they’ll be motivated.

  • Dufresne says:

    Pretty amazing card from top to bottom when you break it down.

    You aren’t kidding. There’s a title fight that guarantees to be high paced; there’s a passing-the-torch type fight between Tito and Bader; Dunham/Sotiropoulos is a matchup that’s both a potential BJJ war and a showcase of two phenomenal, young talents; and then you have Leben/Wandy which is an almost guaranteed slugfest with the potential to make it on the next installment of “Ultimate Knockouts”. The only way this card gets any better is if Brittney Palmer and Arianny Celeste show up half naked. (Spoiler: they will)

  • Oh man the stun gun is gonna get his ass whooped in this fight. He’s never faced anyone with the experience, intensity or raw skill that NBK has to offer.

    and MCM come on man I might agree with you on the Ellenberger fight(I dont now but if I were to watch it again I might depending on my current mood) but Rory Macdonald’s broken face agrees with me that Carlos won that fight legit.

  • MCM says:

    I know I’ll get the thumbs down for this but,
    I think the Macdonald fight was an early stoppage. 8 seconds left and Rory was still intelligently defending himself (albeit getting his ass whooped in the process). That fight should have gone to the judges, in which case I had it Rory 10-9 for the 1st and 2nd and Condit 10-8 in the third for a draw.

    But like I said, I think Carlos gets the win against Kim and then he should be given a top 5 WW if he’s not inserted into a title fight.

  • I wont thumbs down you it was a close enough stoppage to be considered possibly too early however Rory’s face was swollen bleeding and as i previously stated broken…he might’ve been intelligently defending himself…but not effectively defending himself.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.