UPDATE: B.J. Penn drops out of UFC 132 fight, cites shoulder injury

It looks like BJ Penn will extend his vacation through the summer. Originally scheduled to fight Jon Fitch at UFC 132, Penn has officially dropped off the card with an injury that was originally undisclosed. UFC officials were searching for a replacement fight for Penn, and while welterweights Carlos Condit and Anthony Johnson expressed interest in taking on “The Prodigy,” neither fight ever materialized.

The story was first reported by MMAJunkie.com

UPDATE: Penn recently went on his website and explained he had actually injured his shoulder as well, albeit prior to the Fitch fight, as well as aggravated it during their three-round affair. He did not specify the damage but said he would not be ready to train again for 6-8 weeks.

The Fourth of July Weekend event was supposed to play host to a Penn vs. Fitch rematch after the two previously met in February at UFC 127 in Sydney, Australia. The first bout ended in an unsatisfying draw and a rematch was immediately scheduled.

The card is scheduled for July 2, 2011 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show will be headlined by a UFC Bantamweight Title fight between champion Dominick Cruz and contender Urijah Faber.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Weak, I would’ve loved to see Condit/Rumble Vs. Penn

• Creature says:

Kinda happy about this because i was looking forward to the rematch.. and now hopefully when GSP beats Shields he will move up and Penn/Fitch 2 can be for the vacant title

• stone says:

Damn if Penn really is injured, that sucks. If he’s just holding out for Fitch, it really shows how bad he wants the re-match. BJ might be my personal favorite fighter of all time. The reason being: I always doubt he’s gonna win but yet he always pulls thru with a helluva fight, win or lose… Everytime they ask GSP about moving up, he sounds like its not really in his interest. I would love to see how far up the 185 ranks he could make it, not just an instant fight against Anderson… Let’s see him fight guys like Nate, Chael and Vitor first.

• Angry Mike says:

Meh. I wasn’t interested in the rematch, and couldn’t think of an interesting back up.

BJ isn’t hurtin in the pocket so he prob figured wait it out and dont spoil his chances at another potential title run… Just hope he keeps that fire

• MickeyC says:

At least it is still early enolugh for them to try to stack the rest of the card. I feel Penn wanted no part of Carlos. I think the killer would have finished him. As of late it BJ does not finish his man in the first round and a half he loses all heart. Pulls a KroCop so to speak.

• Screenplaya says:

Let’s make Condit/Johnson happen at UFC 132 and have the winner fight the winner of Fitch/Penn for a shot at the title.

Penn and Fitch TUF coaches?

• MCM says:

I don’t think so Rece. Although that would be one of the best thing for the contestants. TUF seems like a reward, and Dana wants to do everything within his power to NOT reward Fitch….for anything.

BTW, I called it when Fitch first dropped out that BJ wouldn’t fight on this card.
    [pats self on back :) ]

• climbarock says:

Junkie doesn’t mention anything about an injury for BJ. Where’d you get that info?

• Spoken says:

Apparently Condit Vs Dong Hyun Kim is replacing this fight at ufc 132. I don’t know who I will be rooting for, because Kim is awesome and I’ve been wanting to see a successful asian fighter for some time now and the UFC is always giving the shaft to Okami…

• davis says:

Well, there goes another instant rematch. Can’t say that I’m very disappointed. Was kind of hoping to see Penn/Condit, though. I think that fight could have been hugely entertaining and a good test for both guys.

• gy614x says:

People constantly bring up Penn vs. Condit/ Rumble

Personally ( and this isn’t just because I’m a Penn fan). I’d give Condit a 4/10 chance and Rumble maybe a 5/10. They just don’t seem like they have the tools.

• BigDave says:

I could personaly care less if BJ ever fights again, the draw was a joke as Fitch won that fight easy. As for the number 1 shot at 170 well it doesnt much matter until GSP either decides to move to 185 or retires cause no one at 170 or for that matter at 185 would stand a chance at beating GSP. In 3 weeks GSP will make yet another extremely easy title defence against a one dimensional fighter that he will systematically pick apart and do so by beating him at his own game.

• HevyHitters says:

Big dave, so your saying gsp would not have a problem against anderson silva at 185? I’m not saying he can’t win, but you make it seem like he would run right threw him..I think fitch could have got a split decision over bj…but I also agree with the draw, please tell me how you saw that fight one sided besides the 3rd round? I hope bj continues to fight for another couple years..he’s an exciting fighter, ya he has had his boring fights when he hasn’t shown up in the best shape but who hasn’t..also sonnen and hendo would be interesting fights for gsp